Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Another day, another window on the Brexiteer advent calendar, another U-turn

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-care-workers-visa-staff-shortage-priti-patel-a9614031.html

Foreign care workers will be given special visas to move to the UK to head off fears of desperate staffing shortages when Brexit is completed, in a major government U-turn.

Taking back control. (I'm assuming of course, that this will be some time after Jan 1st, when we actually get round to putting back the border controls that we took out 'to give us time to adjust') :facepalm:

Tick tock

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
A survey from the IoD states that 3 out of 4 UK businesses will be insufficiently prepared for Brexit.

A clear majority, 69% of directors, said that securing a trade deal, rather than crashing out of Europe on World Trade Organization (WTO) terms, was important for their own company. Even among directors who saw positives in divergence from EU rules, seven in 10 said a deal would be important to the economy.

The IoD argued that time to prepare was essential, regardless of the outcome of trade talks between Britain and the EU, and called for a phased implementation of any new regime.

Jonathan Geldart, director-general of the IoD, said: “With so much going on, many directors feel that preparing for Brexit proper is like trying to hit a moving target. Jumping immediately into whatever comes next would be a nightmare for many businesses.

Good old Boris will sort it. Oh, hang on wasn't he the guy that said 'f*ck business'? Well he was right: business will be truly f*cked by Brexit, although doubtless some of the cheerleaders will know better.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A survey from the IoD states that 3 out of 4 UK businesses will be insufficiently prepared for Brexit.

A clear majority, 69% of directors, said that securing a trade deal, rather than crashing out of Europe on World Trade Organization (WTO) terms, was important for their own company. Even among directors who saw positives in divergence from EU rules, seven in 10 said a deal would be important to the economy.

The IoD argued that time to prepare was essential, regardless of the outcome of trade talks between Britain and the EU, and called for a phased implementation of any new regime.

Jonathan Geldart, director-general of the IoD, said: “With so much going on, many directors feel that preparing for Brexit proper is like trying to hit a moving target. Jumping immediately into whatever comes next would be a nightmare for many businesses.

Good old Boris will sort it. Oh, hang on wasn't he the guy that said 'f*ck business'? Well he was right: business will be truly f*cked by Brexit, although doubtless some of the cheerleaders will know better.

f**k business basically is the same as saying f**k Britain, but it does seem that's what many voted for in December. Quite a few consultancies setting up now to help businesses set up in Europe to preserve their customers, can see Netherlands doing especially well out of this skimming all all that lovely corporation tax.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53395560

The government want to charge businesses for access to the software and HMRC systems that are required to trade with the EU on WHO terms. Failing that, you can hire an "intermediary" to do it for you. I assume these intemediaries are all listed in the Yellow Pages?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'll tell you what. I'm SO pleased we've escaped all that EU red tape and bureaucracy. Oh, hang on................

British travellers face the worst possible outcome once the Brexit transition period ends, the government has confirmed.

Promises that the European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) scheme would continue have been dashed, meaning travellers to the EU will face sharply increased travel insurance premiums.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
OK, so a few British traveller might suffer (a bit). But Brexit is all about business, so let's crack on with some proper trade, free of those EU rules. Oh hang on.................

British companies trading with Europe will have to absorb a post-Brexit bureaucracy burden and fill in an extra 215m customs declarations at a cost of about £7bn a year, according to government officials.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well, at least we can get away for a few days and take the dog to France. Oh, hang on.....................

Pet owners face rules so complex that the BBC’s assistant political editor, Norman Smith, said: “Speaking as a dog owner it looks to me frankly such a faff, you are just not going to bother.”

On the Today programme, he explained: “You are going to have to take your pet to the vet to get a rabies vaccination. You’ll then have to return a month later to get a blood test, send that blood test to an EU laboratory.

“Their vet will then send back the ‘OK’. You’ll then have to wait another three months before you can go.

“I’m just thinking: pets of Great Britain, you can say farewell to the Dordogne.”

Blimey, this Brexit lark is turning out to be a bit disappointing. I'm beginning to regret voting for it. Why weren't we told about all this stuff? (Personally, I think the bloody EU tricked us.)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So here we go, deal or no deal..

Cost to UK business £32.50 per customs declaration

400m declarations per annum

£13 Billion - more than EU Membership cost

Plus customs infrastructure costs

Plus tariffs

Plus loss of business because dealing with UK too much hassle

Meanwhile they haven't even secured land for lorry parks yet, no IT System, no new customs posts built etc etc.

And this imposed on UK businesses struggling to survive after the fallout of the pandemic.

At the end of it ordinary people will be the victims...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'll tell you what. I'm SO pleased we've escaped all that EU red tape and bureaucracy. Oh, hang on................

British travellers face the worst possible outcome once the Brexit transition period ends, the government has confirmed.

Promises that the European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) scheme would continue have been dashed, meaning travellers to the EU will face sharply increased travel insurance premiums.

Think oldies can say goodbye to wintering on the Costas with pooch by their side...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
OK, so a few British traveller might suffer (a bit). But Brexit is all about business, so let's crack on with some proper trade, free of those EU rules. Oh hang on.................

British companies trading with Europe will have to absorb a post-Brexit bureaucracy burden and fill in an extra 215m customs declarations at a cost of about £7bn a year, according to government officials.

And another daily door opens on the Brexiteer advent calendar as their excitement builds.

The full story of the complete ineptitude in the FT is just frightening

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/british-business-faces-%c2%a37bn-red-tape-bill-as-gove-unveils-brexit-border-plan/ar-BB16GKQT?li=BBoPWjQ

The scale of the additional red tape involved in future UK trade with the EU was set out by the Cabinet Office minister in a 206-page document on operating the new border. It included the admission: “Customs declarations are complicated.”

Mr Gove has not disputed industry estimates that some 50,000 new private sector customs agents will have to be hired by business to deal with formalities at the UK-EU border — regardless of whether the two sides reach a trade deal.

All in five and a half months, still with no clue as to what it will entail.

I am so glad I'm retired, running businesses was always stressful, but in this current environment :shootself

A lot of regular posters on this thread are notable by their complete absence in the last few months. Maybe we should have a BREXIT good news thread, specially for them to post.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And another daily door opens on the Brexiteer advent calendar as their excitement builds.

The full story of the complete ineptitude in the FT is just frightening

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/british-business-faces-%c2%a37bn-red-tape-bill-as-gove-unveils-brexit-border-plan/ar-BB16GKQT?li=BBoPWjQ

The scale of the additional red tape involved in future UK trade with the EU was set out by the Cabinet Office minister in a 206-page document on operating the new border. It included the admission: “Customs declarations are complicated.”

Mr Gove has not disputed industry estimates that some 50,000 new private sector customs agents will have to be hired by business to deal with formalities at the UK-EU border — regardless of whether the two sides reach a trade deal.

All in five and a half months, still with no clue as to what it will entail.

I am so glad I'm retired, running businesses was always stressful, but in this current environment :shootself

A lot of regular posters on this thread are notable by their complete absence in the last few months. Maybe we should have a BREXIT good news thread, specially for them to post.

Yeap, time for Brexit good news thread. Might struggle though, though I think its JCFG, Pasta or a true unicorn hunter to take the lead.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here