Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm sorry, but I believe the people who 'caused' Brexit are the people who voted Leave at the referendum and Conservative at the election. All the information as to what would happen was there and available to everyone, if you chose to believe it. So it was down to them, no one else. If I ignore my IFA and put all my savings into magic beans instead, is that somehow my IFA's fault ?

And now they will get what they wanted and what they deserve :shrug:

(We were both posting in the wrong thread :wink:)

I really was a confirmed remainer, I had not only personal beliefs but very good financial reasons to stay in. I was,, to coin a phrase, absolutely gutted, to see the vote go the way it did. What turned me was the refusal of the self appointed left wing smart arses to accept the result. They argued, filibustered, and did whatever they could to stop the will of the people being enacted. At that point I went with the ‘out’ camp.

So yes, I blame the media and those who think that they always know best.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I really was a confirmed remainer, I had not only personal beliefs but very good financial reasons to stay in. I was,, to coin a phrase, absolutely gutted, to see the vote go the way it did. What turned me was the refusal of the self appointed left wing smart arses to accept the result. They argued, filibustered, and did whatever they could to stop the will of the people being enacted. At that point I went with the ‘out’ camp.

So, on a personal and financial basis you wanted to remain. Then you thought the will of the people was being stopped, so you wanted to leave.

Now the will of the people is being enacted and we are leaving you want to 'blame' someone for getting you what you want ? :shrug:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

The 'will of the people' being oh so slightly above half of the people who voted - hardly a ringing endorsement.

I do agree, however, how annoying it must be to have people who think they always know best, but on this particular occasion, they actually did.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What turned me was the refusal of the self appointed left wing smart arses to accept the result.

Who exactly are you referring to here, exactly?

If you mean the Government, I fail to see what they could have done to make Brexit happen any quicker than it did.
If you mean Parliament, they have a job to scrutinise legislation and vote it down if they don't like it, Parliament's will is key.
If you mean people expressing a desire to not leave the EU, people are entitled to hold opinions.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I just laughed when I saw the clip of this

Poor Sammy, backed the wrong horse and now realises he looks like a complete fool after being owned

I'm afraid if you sleep with dogs you will catch fleas, another victim of English exceptionalism I'm afraid

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm sorry, but I believe the people who 'caused' Brexit are the people who voted Leave at the referendum and Conservative at the election. All the information as to what would happen was there and available to everyone, if you chose to believe it. So it was down to them, no one else. If I ignore my IFA and put all my savings into magic beans instead, is that somehow my IFA's fault ?

And now they will get what they wanted and what they deserve :shrug:

(We were both posting in the wrong thread :wink:)

To be honest you didn't need an IFA to tell you to steer clear of the UK, all you had to do was follow the Mogg.

Investors still giving us the cold shoulder, with Johnson and his lackys in charge.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...the-referendum-brexit-still-haunts-u-k-stocks

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just popping this up here …….

From PMQ's today...…. "DUP MP Sammy Wilson has a letter in his hand.
He says: "We were told when we leave the EU at the end of this year, Northern Ireland will still remain full part of UK.
"Yet I have a letter received by management of Port of Larne only this week stating they have to prepare to become a border control post.
"Can the PM explain how Northern Ireland can remain full part of UK if people coming to Northern Ireland have to pass through a border control post.
Boris Johnson says he can tell the MP that "categorically there will be no new customs infrastructure".
"Northern Ireland is part of the customs territory of the whole of the UK," he adds.

Yes - a gem of a moment. Johnson lies his way through PMQs every week, but this particular one is a collector's item. He really is a national disgrace.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

I agree with you in a sense - the Mail, Express, Sun, Telegraph, in fact most national newspapers, campaigned furiously in favour of Leave, claiming as you say that they knew best and therefore they (or at least their vested-interest owners) should share the blame for what happened.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yes - a gem of a moment. Johnson lies his way through PMQs every week, but this particular one is a collector's item. He really is a national disgrace.

I still think the border in the Irish sea will expedite the break up of the Union, he has been completely cavalier.

Trump may have f**ked up America but what is Tories have done to us is in some ways worse

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I agree with you in a sense - the Mail, Express, Sun, Telegraph, in fact most national newspapers, campaigned furiously in favour of Leave, claiming as you say that they knew best and therefore they (or at least their vested-interest owners) should share the blame for what happened.

I think you will see far more of our Brexiteer friends blaming 'the meeja' over the next few months as there's nobody else left to blame except themselves.

'Those bloody Meeja (BBC, Experts, self appointed left wing smart arses, the liberal elite, know it all NSC posters, the majority of politicians from all parties) kept making out I was thick, so I had to keep punching myself in the face until they stopped. So that's why it's all their fault' :shrug:I

Last edited:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018

Which media?
You didnt need to be a 'smart arse' to see a cluster**** coming. You just had to avoid being gullible.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

I know you have used the phrase “in fact” to reference your opinion, I’m happy to spin the wheel of truth with you on that claim.

I think most of the published national papers were in fact remain, as below.

1) Times (of the Murdoch stable, and evidently it’s editorial stance was unencumbered from its owner contrary to myths of the tin foil hat brigade)
2) Mail on Sunday (edited by Georgie Coles and not Paul Dacre, who now edits both MoS and Daily Mail, hence its recent change in direction......hurrah for the Marxists)
3) Mirror
4) Guardian
5) i
6) FT
7) Metro

Given its readership I would chuck in the Evening Standard.......that was pathologically remain thanks is to its Tory editor in chief........got to love the old Tories.

Happy for you to prove me wrong on the above of course, I grant you it’s an interesting one and I am a bit stoooopid.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I know you have used the phrase “in fact” to reference your opinion, I’m happy to spin the wheel of truth with you on that claim.

I think most of the published national papers were in fact remain, as below.

1) Times (of the Murdoch stable, and evidently it’s editorial stance was unencumbered from its owner contrary to myths of the tin foil hat brigade)
2) Mail on Sunday (edited by Georgie Coles and not Paul Dacre, who now edits both MoS and Daily Mail, hence its recent change in direction......hurrah for the Marxists)
3) Mirror
4) Guardian
5) i
6) FT
7) Metro

Given its readership I would chuck in the Evening Standard.......that was pathologically remain thanks is to its Tory editor in chief........got to love the old Tories.

Happy for you to prove me wrong on the above of course, I grant you it’s an interesting one and I am a bit stoooopid.

Most were leave, and in circulation terms, the top 3 were all leave. https://dabblingwithdata.wordpress....ch-newspapers-support-leave-and-which-remain/

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Most were leave, and in circulation terms, the top 3 were all leave. https://dabblingwithdata.wordpress....ch-newspapers-support-leave-and-which-remain/

That link doesn’t include Sunday Mirror, the Sunday People or the Metro...........that’s 3 remain papers not included, so I think “in fact” I am still right in my claim more national papers were remain.

The readership numbers point is interesting, in that a) total readership of printed media is 6m I think, which is possibly 15% of the electorate, b) people tend to buy papers that align with their political views.

So is printed media as influential as some claim, or did the Daily Mail or Sun really persuade leavers to vote remain or the Guardian and Mirror vice versa? I don’t think so.

I thought it was interesting to see how low the Guardian readership is..........less than 200,000, and probably all working at the BBC.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That link doesn’t include Sunday Mirror, the Sunday People or the Metro...........that’s 3 remain papers not included, so I think “in fact” I am still right in my claim more national papers were remain.

The readership numbers point is interesting, in that a) total readership of printed media is 6m I think, which is possibly 15% of the electorate, b) people tend to buy papers that align with their political views.

So is printed media as influential as some claim, or did the Daily Mail or Sun really persuade leavers to vote remain or the Guardian and Mirror vice versa? I don’t think so.

I thought it was interesting to see how low the Guardian readership is..........less than 200,000, and probably all working at the BBC.

Also doesn't include The Star, or The Spectator. In addition, though the Times stated it was backing remain, the articles within it were not so pro remain and some researchers claim they published slightly more pro leave pieces.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Also doesn't include The Star, or The Spectator. In addition, though the Times stated it was backing remain, the articles within it were not so pro remain and some researchers claim they published slightly more pro leave pieces.

So now we’ve established the link you provided isn’t accurate.........the question remains, of the Daily national published newspapers were there more remain than leave? I’m still saying yes there were.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
So now we’ve established the link you provided isn’t accurate.........the question remains, of the Daily national published newspapers were there more remain than leave? I’m still saying yes there were.

I'm going to break a fundamental rule of the Bear Pit and say I agree with you. This is the NSC equivalent of North and South Korea reuniting.

So, if you could reciprocate by acknowledging the extent of short or medium or long term economic disruption or devastation or dysfunction then not only do we have a deal, but you'll emerge with your reputation enhanced. How about it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here