Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Today is a sad day for me. The Brexit debate within the UK has (to me at least) sometimes been quite abstract, with endless debate going round and round on topics that people don't really know much about or will only affect them indirectly (although these things will no doubt affect the country and you as citizens).

For me it seems to feel more personal. Since leaving the UK in 2014 I have lived in 3 different EU countries, married an EU national, have a child that is thankfully still an EU citizen. I feel routed to Europe (not just one member state) and feel a genuine sense of loss today. I'll regain my EU citizenship in around 1 year but I won't feel truly part of the EU. I'll always be British, I can't convince myself and will never be seen by others as anything different.

I don't think that stopping our children from being equal citizens of a ancient land that stretches from Scotland to the Greek Islands and beyond, knowing that they can study, work, start a business and retire as citizens in Rome, Paris or Amsterdam or any other European city and enjoy the rights that Churchill spoke of over 70 years ago is of any interest to most of the Brexiteers on here.

My family is not in as fortunate a position as yours but we have good reason to hope that our grandchildren will eventually have European passports as well as British ones. We will work hard beyond retirement age to help make it happen.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1223175366421946369[/TWEET]

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
So you celebrate with something Irish?

The problem Mouldy and other Brexit voting Guinness drinkers have is it's not included in the 'Lets stay friends' range at Wetherspoon's (Jameson whiskey is the Irish entry) availble until February 29th to 'celebrate' Breixt, the January sale at 'spoons is over and Brexit day inconveniently and unfortunately falls on a Friday, so 'Monday club' discounts don't apply, so he's had to settle for a can instead.

Jan 30, 2008
40 years is a drop in the ocean for this great country ,never again shall we give our identity too a bunch of strangers sitting in the European parliament in Brussels, unelected by this country
Regards
DF

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I know there are some calling for this thread to be wound up. Goodness knows it's not always been a pleasant place to be and I can appreciate the calls for it to be put to bed. After all, as of 11.00pm we are out so what is there left to say?
But I'd like to keep it going. After all, it will give the Leavers a wonderful opportunity to point out and celebrate all the good things that are going to happen to us as Brexit unfolds. (I've been asking for these for a few years now and there's not always been a fulsome response. But surely it's now only a mater of time before the good times roll!)

In the meantime, here's some things that I think we'll miss about being enslaved by a foreign power.

- ease of travel

- research opportunities

- student exchanges

- no queues at ports

- health insurance

- pet passports

- a bigger voice in international relations

- co-operation on policing

- co-ordination of defence

- job opportunities

- people to pick our fruit and wipe the backsides of our parents

- businesses that benefitted from the single market and the customs union

- lower prices

- funding for our left behind regions

I've probably forgotten some - but all of these are nothing as compared to the Great Things That Await.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
b1bd0a7dd5e33edc48322e29b7fcd462.jpg

The Mall was looking resplendent this morning.

On our way.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Shirley the time to move it would be when we have stopped paying the EU, stopped being ruled by their regulations and laws, and having to use their trading agreements.

You know, when we've 'Got Brexit Done' (31st Of December 2020 according to your glorious leader and there's no reason to doubt that, is there ???)

No reason to doubt it at all I’m afraid.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
40 years is a drop in the ocean for this great country ,never again shall we give our identity too a bunch of strangers sitting in the European parliament in Brussels, unelected by this country

I elected MEPs even if you didn't. Still the lies continue, but you're only fooling yourself.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I elected MEPs even if you didn't. Still the lies continue, but you're only fooling yourself.

Please could you remind me when I had a chance of electing the European Commissioners ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
On the same ballot paper where Dominic Cummings was elected as chief decision maker. Did you not get invited?

Nice avoidance of the question. No I didn't vote for Cummings nor did I vote for anyone in the HoL and that doesn't mean I support the system. Getting rid of the EU non-democratic part is a start. Hopefully we can also deal with the other issues now.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Do you elect the Prime Minister or any of the Cabinet?

All Elected as MPs ( bar one ! ). So we can throw them out at the next election or indeed using recall. Now tell me how we can get rid of any EU commissioners ? And I mean basic voters not PMs etc ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
All Elected as MPs ( bar one ! ). So we can throw them out at the next election or indeed using recall. Now tell me how we can get rid of any EU commissioners ? And I mean basic voters not PMs etc ?

EU commissioners are nominated by the elected Governments of member nations of the EU and only serve for a limited time. They are more democratically accountable than the House of Lord's, for example.

For a handy reference guide to EU vs UK "democracy", please find attached.

EU vs UK.jpg

I believe you will also find at least three members of the cabinet are not elected. The leader of the House of Lord's is the usual one but both Nicky Morgan and Zac Goldsmith are serving in it without being elected (indeed the latter lost his seat when up for election only a month ago so you could say him not being in the Government is "the will of the people").

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here