Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
According to the government there are 17 homeless people in Brighton. So no, I am not inclined to believe their employment figures :)

I do believe there is work out there (to a degree ) but you cannot just foist some bootless, thick as mince Herbert who has never done a days graft in their life, onto an employer. Look at Ppf.

In my place the quality of employees is incredibly variable, had some well qualified people who have had good jobs now forced to do shop work either as a result of their previous job burning them out or redundancy. lots of youngsters too coming in with high hopes who don't realise that the only way to make money is to own the shop rather than work their nuts off on promises of wage rises that never materialise. We have two or three part time girls who are at college, I always tell them to work their socks off at college otherwise they will be stuck here in a dead end job.

I'm old, and, Old School, I used to think that if you worked hard and went out of your way to help the business then I would get the rewards, too late I realised that times have changed to the extent that most staff are not valued and that no matter how hard you work you get bled dry. You then have two choices, stick it out and accept stagnant wages or get out... I'm still trying to get out, but, for me I think its fire/frying pan whatever I do.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In my place the quality of employees is incredibly variable, had some well qualified people who have had good jobs now forced to do shop work either as a result of their previous job burning them out or redundancy. lots of youngsters too coming in with high hopes who don't realise that the only way to make money is to own the shop rather than work their nuts off on promises of wage rises that never materialise. We have two or three part time girls who are at college, I always tell them to work their socks off at college otherwise they will be stuck here in a dead end job.

I'm old, and, Old School, I used to think that if you worked hard and went out of your way to help the business then I would get the rewards, too late I realised that times have changed to the extent that most staff are not valued and that no matter how hard you work you get bled dry. You then have two choices, stick it out and accept stagnant wages or get out... I'm still trying to get out, but, for me I think its fire/frying pan whatever I do.

Very good post. I haven’t seen many “investor in people” plaques up round my workplace either :)

Jan 30, 2008
The lady has every right to be upset (even if she isn't) because her husband has just lost her job as a direct consequence of Brexit.

If you had any contrition, common sense of just human decency, you'd have read that and wound your neck in.

Instead, this sort of ill-considered uncalled-for gloating wins out with you as always. You're a moron.

Some of the more cerebral Brexiteers on here must whince when they see your drivel.

if people don't like a bit of straight talking they better put me on ignore.
regards
DF

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Quite funny seeing the looney leavers quoting economic stats to justify their position. Nearly all economic metrics are significantly adverse since the referendum, then worse again over the last year. But we all know this wasn’t about economics, that’s not why they voted leave. **** them, it’s over to them, let’s hope they are as bright as they think they are. Sadly I suspect they aren’t.

Jan 30, 2008
Quite funny seeing the looney leavers quoting economic stats to justify their position. Nearly all economic metrics are significantly adverse since the referendum, then worse again over the last year. But we all know this wasn’t about economics, that’s not why they voted leave. **** them, it’s over to them, let’s hope they are as bright as they think they are. Sadly I suspect they aren’t.

no one needs to justify anything and i don't know why Patriots on here feel the need to be dragged into the argument , the justification was in the election result,action speaks louder than words :wink:
regards
DF

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
no one needs to justify anything and i don't know why Patriots on here feel the need to be dragged into the argument , the justification was in the election result,action speaks louder than words :wink:
regards
DF

Yet here you are, desperately defending it. Every day. You really are a tit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
if people don't like a bit of straight talking they better put me on ignore.
regards
DF
Straight talking is about cutting the crap in order to make a concise, clear point. All you do is gloat, you haven't ever backed up any point, and it's all a bit of a game to you. Even when faced with an example of real life hardship, you're too STUPID to show any empathy. You're an absolute contemptible moron.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Please...... at least acknowledge this is turning out not to be the nirvana promised by Brexit opinion formers; they have now toned down the rhetoric to such an extent that it no longer resembles the outcomes they sold to their voters.
'Make the best of it' is a pale shadow of the former 'sunny uplands'

By the way, please can you explain what 'make the best of it' means in practice? I have several acquaintances who tell me they are in danger of being 'let go' and yes, they do claim that it is the result of Brexit. Is it a case of Tebbit-style 'get on your bike' ?

Make the best of it is a very simple concept, as I am sure you are aware. Jobs will be lost, businesses will close, new ones will open creating more jobs. Whether the net effect is positive or negative only time will tell. But people should try to make themselves aware of what is happening around them and position themselves to make the most of any opportunity. Bleating will achieve nothing.

I believe the UK economy will suffer in the short term at least.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Make the best of it is a very simple concept, as I am sure you are aware. Jobs will be lost, businesses will close, new ones will open creating more jobs. Whether the net effect is positive or negative only time will tell. But people should try to make themselves aware of what is happening around them and position themselves to make the most of any opportunity. Bleating will achieve nothing.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

'Make the best of it' is indeed a very simple concept but you don't explain how that might apply to an unknown, uncertain future for many people in this country. Your language comes across like a 'shrug' when it comes to other people's poor employment prospects; and I must also call you out for using emotive language like 'bleating'. People suffering from this aberration through no fault of their own or choices they made are not 'bleating' when they point out that Brexiter' promises have not been delivered.

I assume you are confident of being personally unaffected by the decision to leave the EU, but your stoical comments about the impending suffering of others are frankly disingenuous to put it very, very mildly.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So the new deflection of blame is “just make the most of it”.

“I lost my job due to Brexit”

Yes but the good news is, someone else might get a new job because of it.

“Yeah but I’ve lost my house and the wife’s left with the kids now”

But it’s all for the greater good. It’s your fault because you weren’t positive. You have to make the most of it.

Honestly, it’s pathetic. You have no shame and aren’t even man enough to shoulder any of the blame. It’s really not how I thought British people would turn out to be. Really very shameful indeed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Nobody is bleating. Pointing out facts isn’t bleating.

Jacob Rees-Mogg has said it could take 50 years to get a benefit from Brexit, so not so short term. Maybe you will do better to stay down under?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Nobody is bleating. Pointing out facts isn’t bleating.

Jacob Rees-Mogg has said it could take 50 years to get a benefit from Brexit, so not so short term. Maybe you will do better to stay down under?

Its strange. Ive never seen our pet Nazi quote him with 'you dont live here' :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here