Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes it would appear that England will be undone from within......rich getting richer , poor getting poorer , arse torn out of the manufacturing and construction sectors to facilitate slashing of wages......increased immigration of people who will work for less......all very good if you are an advertising executive or market analyst...:wanker: but if you are a tiler , carpenter , plasterer, chef , driver.....etc etc your days of earning a decent wage and getting ahead are numbered.

My view is that we are going to see a gradual decline in wages. Put simply, if you are a company selling to all over Europe, the only reason you'd build a factory here rather than inside the EU is if your costs were lower, because there will be costs associated with tariffs and administration that weren't previously there.

So what costs are likely to be lowered to facilitate this? Fuel costs? No - that'll be unaffected by Brexit. Executive bonuses? Yeah because that always happens. Or maybe the shop floor worker taking a lower rate of pay?

I'm looking forward to PPF debunking this theory with his usual intelligent economic analysis. Perhaps "tick tock" or "snowflake" or something similar that proves his point.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Over-simplification of course but there's no doubt that many of the towns that voted most heavily for Brexit are those suffering long-term structural decline, and the very last thing such towns need is a government wedded to low-tax, low-regulation, low-welfare let-the-markets-rule policies.

what if, for sake of argument, lower tax and lower regulation encouraged business to start or grow in those areas?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
My view is that we are going to see a gradual decline in wages. Put simply, if you are a company selling to all over Europe, the only reason you'd build a factory here rather than inside the EU is if your costs were lower, because there will be costs associated with tariffs and administration that weren't previously there.

So what costs are likely to be lowered to facilitate this? Fuel costs? No - that'll be unaffected by Brexit. Executive bonuses? Yeah because that always happens. Or maybe the shop floor worker taking a lower rate of pay?

I'm looking forward to PPF debunking this theory with his usual intelligent economic analysis. Perhaps "tick tock" or "snowflake" or something similar that proves his point.

there is a small chance that new industries will pop up out of the ashes, it remains to be seen ......i have never been pro or anti as i no longer live there , i didn't vote and it shits me when expats stick their oars in on fb and other social media......the govt. needs to come up trumps with the exit deal , basically carry on as normal as possible ......the continentals will still want our sterling so i am hoping things will just continue as normal at street level as it were. The youngsters are the ones who will lose the most .......on the whole wether it's good or bad ....i honestly don't know.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
there is a small chance that new industries will pop up out of the ashes, it remains to be seen .....

tenor.gif

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
there is a small chance that new industries will pop up out of the ashes, it remains to be seen ......i have never been pro or anti as i no longer live there , i didn't vote and it shits me when expats stick their oars in on fb and other social media......the govt. needs to come up trumps with the exit deal , basically carry on as normal as possible ......the continentals will still want our sterling so i am hoping things will just continue as normal at street level as it were. The youngsters are the ones who will lose the most .......on the whole wether it's good or bad ....i honestly don't know.

I agree completely but unfortunately, I don't think that's the plan of those who are looking to benefit out of this :facepalm:

No 10 vision of fast-track trade deal at odds with industry

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/no-10-vision-of-fast-track-trade-deal-at-odds-with-industry/ar-BBYJ6wI?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
what if, for sake of argument, lower tax and lower regulation encouraged business to start or grow in those areas?

Well that would be very nice but how would it work?

I suppose the government could specially loosen planning regulations and other environmental controls and trim corporation tax in places such as Burnley in order to attract local employment but the presence of a national minimum wage would be a problem. Perhaps they could allow a reduction in people's pay in places that are finding life tough at the moment. ("Low pay! Wild West building controls! Poor environmental protection! Come and settle in beautiful Burnley!")

One of the UK's problems is poor productivity. It's one of the things that has kept unemployment down in recent years. It has to be fixed - the trouble is that doing so will tend to drive unemployment up and that will have a disproportionate effect on the rust belt. Wouldn't it?

Jan 30, 2008
Sad is swallowing bullshit and voting for potentially serious economic harm to your own country for decades.
you don't live here zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008

i don't have to prove any points but i hate speculation :wink:
regards
DF

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Caroline Lucas.................... enough said on the matter :facepalm: the same dozy bint that was jumping for joy at every amendment put forward at stalling the Brexit Process , reap what you sow !!!!
regards
DF

What do YOU think about the amendment? Are you for or against the reconciliation of child refugees with their families or it just, like, **** em don't care either way?

Jan 30, 2008
What do YOU think about the amendment? Are you for or against the reconciliation of child refugees with their families or it just, like, **** em don't care either way?
if they've entered the country illegally they can all go back from where they came from
regards
DF

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
you don't live here zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
regards
DF

Well, then I shouldn't care about my country? Not the sort of patriotism that dimwits like you regard so highly is it?
You never answered when I asked you before, but are you a classically trained dimwit, or a talented amateur?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
why travel all the way here ??? :dunce:
regards
DF

I fear you represent the views of more Leave voters than most other Brexiters on here. So you should be proud. They should be concerned. And the rest of us, about 50 per cent of the population, should be ashamed of where this lovely old country has gone.

**12-year-old Afghan child is picked up on Kent beach. No English. No parents. Distant relatives known to live in UK. Social worker: "I have checked and the relatives are prepared to take him in." PPF (in uniform and wearing shiny peaked cap with 'Get Brexit Done' logo): "Bugger off weeping child. You have no rights to be in our glorious kingdom. Get back in that dinghy IMMEDIATELY."** You can but dream, Das.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I fear you represent the views of more Leave voters than most other Brexiters on here. So you should be proud. They should be concerned. And the rest of us, about 50 per cent of the population, should be ashamed of where this lovely old country has gone.

**12-year-old Afghan child is picked up on Kent beach. No English. No parents. Distant relatives known to live in UK. Social worker: "I have checked and the relatives are prepared to take him in." PPF (in uniform and wearing shiny peaked cap with 'Get Brexit Done' logo): "Bugger off weeping child. You have no rights to be in our glorious kingdom. Get back in that dinghy IMMEDIATELY."** You can but dream, Das.

You say that, but .................... https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/far-right-group-patrols-beaches-for-migrants-212472/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here