Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
oh the irony. this type of argument is exactly what drove hundreds of thousands of votes to Johnson and the simple "get it done" campaign. and will continue to drive him towards a shortsighted, stupid get it done fast mentality, as reported this morning.

Where's the irony? Isn't it a statement of fact? That's a genuine question. The majority still don't support Johnson but he's showing no humility or compromise which merely entrenches those who will continue to campaign against him. Number 10 is already saying workers rights and environmental protections promised in October won't now be in the withdrawal agreement after all. We're less than a week since the election and commitments and promises with huge consequences for us all - and which may well have got some traditional Labour voters to vote for a Tory Brexit - are already being broken. How's that going to work out for uniting the country?

The People's Vote campaign, massively flawed though it was, never suggested ignoring anyone's voice, but instead putting the known facts back for a vote. That was despite endless "you lost get over it" statements, being called snowflakes at every opportunity, told they were delusional and anti democratic, having factual arguments countered with meaningless soundbites, physical violence and intimidation etc. There was humility in that that has never been there in those in power who have argued for Brexit and continue to dismiss everyone else.

This country badly needs a government prepared to compromise and take on all views and show acknowledgement that other views are valid otherwise people are not going to unite behind a policy half the country don't want. That's unfortunate if that's unpopular with new Tory voters or drove people to Johnson, but it's bigger than that and about the future of the country, and what kind of country we want to live in.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think most would agree that Brexit is a massive mistake. We’ve all learned too much over the past nearly three and a half years to believe it will be anything short of a disaster.
The persistence to discharge such a monumental error is fuelled purely by pride. It’s all about saving face. And anyone who knows their history, or indeed anyone who has insight to their own journey through life, knows such motivation rarely ends in success.

Pride will be our downfall. Perversely, the process stripping us of anything to be proud of.

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think most would agree that Brexit is a massive mistake. We’ve all learned too much over the past nearly three and a half years to believe it will be anything short of a disaster.
The persistence to discharge such a monumental error is fuelled purely by pride. It’s all about saving face. And anyone who knows their history, or indeed anyone who has insight to their own journey through life, knows such motivation rarely ends in success.

Pride will be our downfall. Perversely, the process stripping us of anything to be proud of.

I think you missed a couple of significant democratic exercises which have taken place over the past few years.

You believe that Brexit is a massive mistake. Fair enough. But no, we can categorically say that most don't agree. It's pretty arrogant to say that, despite people expressing their opinions, they don't really believe what they say they believe, they actually believe what you believe. They don't. Accept that.

Pride isn't our downfall. It's yours, because it is making you unwilling to accept that your opinion isn't shared by most people, I would even go as far as to suggest that it's even possible that you might be wrong. The opposite of pride is humility. Try it.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think you missed a couple of significant democratic exercises which have taken place over the past few years.

You believe that Brexit is a massive mistake. Fair enough. But no, we can categorically say that most don't agree. It's pretty arrogant to say that, despite people expressing their opinions, they don't really believe what they say they believe, they actually believe what you believe. They don't. Accept that.

Pride isn't our downfall. It's yours, because it is making you unwilling to accept that your opinion isn't shared by most people, I would even go as far as to suggest that it's even possible that you might be wrong. The opposite of pride is humility. Try it.

This

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The pigs in blankets shortage this Christmas will hit the Brexiteers hard. One of the first of many supply chain problems to come.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The pigs in blankets shortage this Christmas will hit the Brexiteers hard. One of the first of many supply chain problems to come.

We might be short on pigs in blankets but thanks to Brexit we're at an all-time high for gammon levels.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Brexit is winning an argument and losing the sale, its the real end of the British Empire and highly likely we will leave the European Union to destroy our own Union.

Who will you vent your anger on now?

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
What I am very interested to see is how significant an impact on our society this supposed “massive trade deal” with the USA will have.

This won’t be over night of course and may well take several years to fullly realise itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What I am very interested to see is how significant an impact on our society this supposed “massive trade deal” with the USA will have.

This won’t be over night of course and may well take several years to fullly realise itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see the impact on Bupa insurance premiums

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hoping for it to fail Veggy ?. What if it is a stonking success
Of course I am not hoping for it to fail, it has been well documented ( although reluctantly revealed) already that Brexit will be a financial failure by the Tory Governments own research. It's just the level of financial loss that will occur that is still in the balance. Enjoy!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Of course I am not hoping for it to fail, it has been well documented ( although reluctantly revealed) already that Brexit will be a financial failure by the Tory Governments own research. It's just the level of financial loss that will occur that is still in the balance. Enjoy!

Only time will tell. We'll see

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No Deal here we come then
On top of the already reached withdrawal deal, there will be a trade deal next year.

It may not cover much, but Johnson will have his bit of paper to wave at the crowd.

It will not be 'comprehensive'. There will be whole sectors not covered in Trade Deal 1.

...But we will keep talking and Trade Deal 2, Trade Deal 3 etc. will follow over time.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
7b38e0bb557ec983ed7bb3b4f9216258.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Funding from the EU?Our money handed back to us,or a small percentage of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here