Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
People harping on about the church as some form of direction not sure who's worse both hypocrites in their own right
Regards
DF

Whenever the question of “who’s worse”? drips into your brain, the answer is always you. You are worse.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
………….. Oh, I forgot that bit!

Obviously you are right, BUT Once people have made that connection, a vital part of that - a biblical imperative as far as I am concerned - is to care about what is going on in the world around you.

If your monk in Zurich would not agree with that, then I would not agree with him.

In my youth - in the 1970s, say, I would have dismissed the Church, seeing Faith as a way in which people escaped from the world. I had my eyes opened by meeting a girl whose father was a Methodist Minister, and through whom I met numbers of influential people who made that connection very strongly. I therefore took faith more seriously (I would say came to faith, but it was already there) when I realised it could be political - with a small p - i.e. not party political, or at least not when preaching.

And by political, I mean dealing with real world matters, whether it be economic and political, or environmental and poverty.

Ha - I forgot a bit too. My dear monk would say once you have made the connection then the other stuff naturally flows from that. This is subtly different to focusing on the political stuff without the connection. I think we are agreeing.

Looks like we have slowed down the Brexit stuff too. :smile:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Capitalism hasn't 'healed itself' - it bought its way out of the crisis by dumping the cost of the gambling debts of the bankers on working class people and running up massive debt.

Still healed itself even then, which Marx didn't predict.

Capitalism isn't going anywhere soon which is where Marx got it wrong although he did get loads right.

I'm not sure why you are attempting to defend Marxism, Corbyn isn't one. He is something quite different, a "Bennite".

Hates the Monarchy, House of Lords, the EU and wants a unified Ireland. It somehow made sense in the 1970s Labour Party but as a political position it's way too conflicted today to appeal to a wider electorate today.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Ha - I forgot a bit too. My dear monk would say once you have made the connection then the other stuff naturally flows from that. This is subtly different to focusing on the political stuff without the connection. I think we are agreeing.

Looks like we have slowed down the Brexit stuff too. :smile:

I agree we are agreeing👍

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not sure why you are attempting to defend Marxism, Corbyn isn't one. He is something quite different, a "Bennite".

Hates the Monarchy, House of Lords, the EU and wants a unified Ireland. It somehow made sense in the 1970s Labour Party but as a political position it's way too conflicted today to appeal to a wider electorate today.

No matter who he’s written for in the past I don’t think he’s regarded as a Marxist by very many people at all. I think you’re spot on.

Your post also neatly calls out some of the problems Corbyn is going to find in this election. He has alienated a large number of Labour voters in many different ways.

His flip flopping on Brexit (driven, as you say, by a Bennite dislike of the EU) threatens to lose him a small number of traditional working class votes in leave areas but also a number of hardcore Remainers (hence the constant attacks on the Lib Dems).

He’s lost the votes of many liberal Jews, the sort of arts graduate Golders Green set who backed Blair in large numbers. He’s lost a small number of the working class opposed to a United Ireland but otherwise likely to vote Labour.

All this is why Labour are currently “rocking the vote”. They need a large number of idealistic young voters to replace the people Jeremy has isolated. Marxism is a smoke screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Goodness me, where do you get this stuff? It’s patently wrong about the UK. Which entire population are you on about?

The middle class has been growing. In fact there’s a Guardian data blog that suggested the middle classes overtook the working class in numbers around the year 2000.

https://amp.theguardian.com/news/da...ore-middle-class-than-working-class-2000-data

Now some surveys since have said more people consider themselves working class but the income data just doesn’t support it. And the point HWT was making is that simply splitting people outside the elite in a binary way is entirely specious. It takes no account of career breaks, gig economy, “mumprenuers”, remote workers and globalisation for a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True.
Didn't old Two Jags Prescott say 'we are all middle-class now', back in about 2007 I think.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
True.
Didn't old Two Jags Prescott say 'we are all middle-class now', back in about 2007 I think.

This puts things into some sort of perspective; you don't have to be a hard core Marxist to find this sickening:

The globe’s richest 1% own half the world’s wealth, according to a new report highlighting the growing gap between the super-rich and everyone else.
The world’s richest people have seen their share of the globe’s total wealth increase from 42.5% at the height of the 2008 financial crisis to 50.1% in 2017, or $140tn (£106tn), according to Credit Suisse’s global wealth report published on Tuesday.
“The share of the top 1% has been on an upward path ever since [the crisis], passing the 2000 level in 2013 and achieving new peaks every year thereafter,” the annual report said. The bank said “global wealth inequality has certainly been high and rising in the post-crisis period”.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
This puts things into some sort of perspective; you don't have to be a hard core Marxist to find this sickening:

The globe’s richest 1% own half the world’s wealth, according to a new report highlighting the growing gap between the super-rich and everyone else.
The world’s richest people have seen their share of the globe’s total wealth increase from 42.5% at the height of the 2008 financial crisis to 50.1% in 2017, or $140tn (£106tn), according to Credit Suisse’s global wealth report published on Tuesday.
“The share of the top 1% has been on an upward path ever since [the crisis], passing the 2000 level in 2013 and achieving new peaks every year thereafter,” the annual report said. The bank said “global wealth inequality has certainly been high and rising in the post-crisis period”.

I have only read the press release, but it did state that 2016 was probably peak inequality, so perhaps it is reducing.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Brexit is just a huge political ploy to cause even more hatred amongst the masses. Government's have been doing it around the world for a long long time.
They're doing a bloody good job aren't they? Its just a real shame the masses are mostly massively sheep.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Brexit is just a huge political ploy to cause even more hatred amongst the masses. Government's have been doing it around the world for a long long time.
They're doing a bloody good job aren't they? Its just a real shame the masses are mostly massively sheep.

Thank you, o Wise One, for showing me the light.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

At last, someone who really knows better than millions of others. We have been waiting for you to point out our errors and now the messiah has arrived.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Conservative and Unionist party have been caught doctoring a video clip from this more Good Morning Britain, to make it appear Sir Keir Starmer didn't fully understand Labour's brexit policy and posting it on Twitter

footage to falsely suggest Labour's Keir Starmer was left speechless by a Brexit question
Keir Starmer wearing a suit and tie: Labour's Keir Starmer
Labour's Keir Starmer
The Conservative Party accused of spreading 'fake news' after posting misleadingly edited footage of an interview with Labour's Shadow Brexit Secretary Keir Starmer.
The footage appears to show Starmer left speechless by a question on Labour's Brexit policy.
However, full footage of the interview shows that he immediately responded to the question.
The row comes as ministers confirm that Boris Johnson's government will refuse to release a report into Russian influence on recent elections and referendums.
The Conservative party have been accused of spreading fake news, after posting footage of Shadow Brexit Secretary Keir Starmer which was edited to falsely suggest he was left speechless during an interview.

The video, which has been shared by senior government figures including the Health Secretary Matt Hancock, is an edit of a video Starmer took part in this morning on ITV's Good Morning Britain.

In the video, the Shadow Brexit Secretary is asked a series of questions about Labour's Brexit policy, the last of which appears to leave him lost for words.

However, footage of the full interview shows that Starmer immediately answered the question put to him by the show's hosts.

Social media users accused the party of spreading "fake news" after the misleading nature of the video was pointed out by the BBC journalist Daniel Sandford.

"I hate this stuff. I saw too much of it in Russia, and it only ends badly," Sandford, who is the BBC's Home Affairs correspondent, posted on Twitter.

The Conservative Party were contacted for comment.

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1191686313461846016

https://youtu.be/VW9VS47cjrw

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
He hasn't told you the best bit yet. The way to 'not be a sheep' is never to vote for anything but continue to moan about things you haven't voted for ???
No it's to realise you're being taken for a mug [emoji106]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He hasn't told you the best bit yet. The way to 'not be a sheep' is never to vote for anything but continue to moan about things you haven't voted for ???

That and watch improbably barking You Tube videos whilst getting stoned.

Flex Your Head

The current Labour leadership is a joke which will be put to rest at the ballot box, Corbyn ,McDonald and Abbot the three wise Monkeys totally unelectable to most reasonable folk
DH

Seriously, you are an utter cringe-fest. You know nothing other than tabloid headlines and must be so tired from that feeling of perpetual embarrassment.

Diane Abbott was re-elected in her seat of Hackney North and Stoke Newington, receiving 75% of the constituency's votes with an increased majority of over 35,000
John McDonnell got 66.5% of the votes in Hayes and Harlington, and has a majority of over 18,000.
Jeremy Corbyn got 73% of the vote in Islington North, increasing his personal vote by over 12%, and has a majority of over 33,000.

Meanwhile, your glorious fuhrer Farage, managed to scrape together 36,000 votes across 7 separate elections whilst trying to become an MP.

You're a disgrace even to the phrase 'utter bellend'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here