Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't. The reason Johnson wants 12 Dec is that universities will have broken up and students will be back home.

Liberals arent asking for 9th (same week) for the student's benefit, its about when parliament rises and what business can be done before then. the extra days mean Johnson could bring forward the withdraw bill for debate for a week. 9th means they have to wrap up the end of this week.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Exactly this.

I would be interested to see how NSC vote now.

They have always been so red, but with Corbyn still in charge surely there would be a change in results.

Like pulling teeth. So, would you support a Brexit party government

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Liberals arent asking for 9th (same week) for the student's benefit, its about when parliament rises and what business can be done before then. the extra days mean Johnson could bring forward the withdraw bill for debate for a week. 9th means they have to wrap up the end of this week.

I didn't mention the Liberals. Johnson, Cummings and their Aussie election advisers will know perfectly well that their chances in the election will increase hugely if students find it hard to vote. The rest is a bit of smoke. We're leaving the EU, the question is simply when. Johnson's only thought now is strengthening the Tory majority

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't. The reason Johnson wants 12 Dec is that universities will have broken up and students will be back home. It will depend on where they are registered as to whether they are able to vote in a practical sense and could potentially effect the Green vote in Brighton Pavillion. Boris is painted as a buffoon but he's not that stupid.

I can see your point.

I have noticed from older surveys that the Green student vote in Brighton is reflective of the wider poll itself. About 50%. It may have increased since then but I don't think it will matter that much.

I know some in NSC and Argus comments may disagree but, whilst helpful, I don't think the students are the reason for Caroline's popularity.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't. The reason Johnson wants 12 Dec is that universities will have broken up and students will be back home. It will depend on where they are registered as to whether they are able to vote in a practical sense and could potentially effect the Green vote in Brighton Pavillion. Boris is painted as a buffoon but he's not that stupid.

Not according to the politics correspondent on 5Live this morning, who said he'd been through lots of university term dates this morning and December 12th was term time for most of them.

I can't be arsed to check any more than Sussex and Brighton, but both are sill open on the 12th.

Not sure who made up this "All the students will have ****ed off by December 12th" urban myth, but it seems to have been spread by a lot of people who can't be bothered to actually check.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Students don't hang around until the end of term, they will drift off after their last lecture/seminar which will be well before the 12th. Hopefully they are all savvy enough by now to use their vote where it matters most anyway.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not according to the politics correspondent on 5Live this morning, who said he'd been through lots of university term dates this morning and December 12th was term time for most of them.

I can't be arsed to check any more than Sussex and Brighton, but both are sill open on the 12th.

Not sure who made up this "All the students will have ****ed off by December 12th" urban myth, but it seems to have been spread by a lot of people who can't be bothered to actually check.

A cursary glance suggests nearly all Universities are finished by Friday 13th, but having had some experience with lazy bloody students, fleeing home to be spoilt at the first opportunity, I can't see many being left on the 12th.

Whether this is the reason or not, who knows :shrug:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

In my experience, university term dates are not treated in the same way as school term dates. I know a chap who had a lecture which finished at 2pm on the final Monday before Christmas, they had a seat booked on the 14.40 train home and didn't reappear until a week into term in the New Year.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

It was stated as fact in The Guardian - so, yeah, I should have checked it a bit more to be fair :lol:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
A cursary glance suggests nearly all Universities are finished by Friday 13th, but having had some experience with lazy bloody students, fleeing home to be spoilt at the first opportunity, I can't see many being left on the 12th.

Whether this is the reason or not, who knows :shrug:

If they're the kind of student who votes, they'll be the kind who stays till the end of term. No one should be pinning any voting hopes on the 'lazy bloody students' :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here