Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The longer the opposition hold out the better. As soon as an election hits the disinformation starts again, with full support from mainstream media. They must resist and force an amendment to the deal that can pass.

The strategy, I expect, from the tax-evading off-shore overlords of the printed press, will be to step back from all things Brexit in the final run-in, and focus on the 40 year old grainy photos of people with beards talking to Irish people, and more glossy pull-outs on how to hide YOUR money from the evil communists, should they win.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Yes, Switzerland are negotiating Financial Services access from within their EFTA membership, so we'd clearly need to do the same after the initial basic stage is done.

We could even have a EU-Switzerland-UK services deal at some point - though probably best not to name it EUSUK [emoji38]ol:

We'd have to accept freedom of movement and many verbatim EU laws / regulation though. Good luck selling that to the leave posters on here (and, to be honest, rightly so).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, Switzerland are negotiating Financial Services access from within their EFTA membership, so we'd clearly need to do the same after the initial basic stage is done.

We could even have a EU-Switzerland-UK services deal at some point - though probably best not to name it EUSUK [emoji38]ol:

The Swiss have been trying to get passporting access to the EU's financial services markets for years but with no success.

In order to get access, they have to be in the EU which is why, ironically, a lot of Swiss financial services have put large operations in London.

They have managed some limited access to general services, but in order to get this they have to adopt the same product regulations, but get no vote in these regulations (and there is no dispute mechanism). They only keep this access if it is up to date with EU regulation. When the EU changes its rules, Switzerland loses access – until it changes its laws too. This means its companies often suffer a delay in exporting when EU rules change.

It really isn't any sort of solution for Britain's services sector. At least being in the Customs Union we are part of the rule making.

The simple fact is that the more you try to lessen the economic impact of Brexit the closer you get to full membership. I wonder why :wink:

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We'd have to accept freedom of movement and many verbatim EU laws / regulation though. Good luck selling that to the leave posters on here (and, to be honest, rightly so).
Current EEA rules and regs, yes we'd have to take them.

For the future ones, then genuine consensus needed.

See Yalland's excellent thread :

https://twitter.com/AdrianYalland/status/1073867169723756544?s=19

And a summary ( which the sovereignty brexiteers can have no issues with, but the racist ones might grumble at ) :

https://twitter.com/huntsgreentom/status/1171897730115002371?s=19

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Swiss have been trying to get passporting access to the EU's financial services markets for years but with no success.

In order to get access, they have to be in the EU which is why, ironically, a lot of Swiss financial services have put large operations in London.

They have managed some limited access to general services, but in order to get this they have to adopt the same product regulations, but get no vote in these regulations (and there is no dispute mechanism). They only keep this access if it is up to date with EU regulation. When the EU changes its rules, Switzerland loses access – until it changes its laws too. This means its companies often suffer a delay in exporting when EU rules change.

It really isn't any sort of solution for Britain's services sector. At least being in the Customs Union we are part of the rule making.

The more you try to lessen the economic impact of Brexit the closer you get to full membership. I wonder why :wink:

Rule making at the mercy of Qualified Majority Voting, whereas the EFTA prize is genuine consensus in drafting the EEA rules ( no EFTA state is in the EU Customs Union ).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Apparently, if Boris Johnson doesn't get his general election, he is threatening to remove his Withdrawal bill, and the government to go on strike.
Fun times ahead.

Epic hissy fit ! He's lied his way to the post of Prime Minister by telling the right people what they want to hear while knowing it was, and is, impossible to deliver on those promises. Boris and Cummings are starting to get really desperate now.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Rule making at the mercy of Qualified Majority Voting, whereas the EFTA prize is genuine consensus in drafting the EEA rules ( no EFTA state is in the EU Customs Union ).

I think you misread. EFTA have no input to EU services rules and regulations (and no dispute mechanism when they do adopt them). This is the sector that accounts for 78% of Britain's GDP.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Apparently, if Boris Johnson doesn't get his general election, he is threatening to remove his Withdrawal bill, and the government to go on strike.
Fun times ahead.

Surely then there would be a vote of no confidence, Govt of National Unity, Withdrawal bill passed with ammendments possibly including 2nd Ref, further extension to hold referendum......

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Fun times ahead.

Can we have a grown up PM please?

By that, I don't mean an election. I'd rather his proposals go through proper process. That said, I'm not sure that is possible with him fronting it.

What a laughing stock.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I assume we've had this already:-

[tweet]1187526131177660416[/tweet]

'Leave Means jizz another £100m up the wall in order to Remain'.

If only they'd written that on the side of a bus.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You do realise less than 25% of the population actually voted to leave? Why would supporters of the mostly leave supporting opposition parties vote for the Brexit Party?

But you will find that it was around 38% of the those entitled to vote who voted to leave, including the stupid/lazy folk that did not bother. The Remain vote was slightly lower.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Fun times ahead.

This really does show how ridiculous it all is. Johnson says 'if you don't agree to an election, I won't let you discuss my bill that I want passed'. So, he's saying to the opposition, who don't actually want an election just at the moment, 'you can only discuss my bill, that you don't want either, if you give me an election that you don't want at the moment'. Pure madness - why on earth would the opposition vote to have an election just so they can discuss a bill that they don't want passed anyway?

Especially as he can't actually guarantee a date in law anyway. Wouldn't put it past him to win a vote on having an election and then suddenly finding a reason that Parliament has to be dissolved immediately, so there won't be any debate.

You would begin to think that he doesn't actually want Brexit to happen! Oh - hang on, isn't that what he wrote in his alternative Times article......

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This really does show how ridiculous it all is. Johnson says 'if you don't agree to an election, I won't let you discuss my bill that I want passed'. So, he's saying to the opposition, who don't actually want an election just at the moment, 'you can only discuss my bill, that you don't want either, if you give me an election that you don't want at the moment'. Pure madness - why on earth would the opposition vote to have an election just so they can discuss a bill that they don't want passed anyway?

Especially as he can't actually guarantee a date in law anyway. Wouldn't put it past him to win a vote on having an election and then suddenly finding a reason that Parliament has to be dissolved immediately, so there won't be any debate.

You would begin to think that he doesn't actually want Brexit to happen! Oh - hang on, isn't that what he wrote in his alternative Times article......

Why doesn’t the opposition want an election?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Why doesn’t the opposition want an election?

Because if it is run as a 'Brexit Election', they will suffer quite badly - as their votes will be split and Tories could romp home (depending on how much their vote splits with the BP). The only way they would 'win' is if there were to be a proper Lib/Lab pact of not standing in some seats to ensure the others got in.

Labour will fare far better when a General Election is held under proper circumstances, and focusing on domestic issues.

If there really is a desire to hold a 'Brexit Election', then we should have another referendum - then have a GE to decide which party should deliver the outcome (binding this time).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So you're comparing a vote on leaving the EU to buying some light bulbs on Amazon?

If you must know, yes I am happy with my order, possibly even more.

Proceed.

amazon-shopping-transparent-logo_312774.png

This is an Automated reply :

Amazon are pleased to confirm your order placed on 23rd June 2016 for Number unspecified of Items unspecified

These will be delivered at some point dependant on delivery to Amazon and you will be charged Amount unspecified

Please Note : If these aren't delivered to Amazon, you will still be charged.

Thank you for your custom. :thumbsup:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This is an Automated reply :

Amazon are pleased to confirm your order placed on 23rd June 2016 for Number unspecified of Items unspecified

These will be delivered at some point dependant on delivery to Amazon and you will be charged Amount unspecified

Please Note : If these aren't delivered to Amazon, you will still be charged.

Thank you for your custom. :thumbsup:

Where do I put the review? Capture.JPG

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here