Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dread to think what bubble you live in.

On his own in his underpants on a cheap sofa in a B&H smoke filled grubby living room with a big screen telly?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Britain Elects
[MENTION=36357]Bri[/MENTION]tainelects
Westminster voting intention...

if "the deadline for the UK to leave the EU has been extended beyond the 31st of October 2019":

LAB: 27%
CON: 26%
BREX: 20%
LDEM: 18%
GRN: 4%

This tells us one thing and one thing only. Which is that nobody knows anything
Don't believe polls. Don't believe anyone who says they know 'the mood of the nation'. Everything is in flux. Everything is up for grabs.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Taking into account the recent opinion polls what realistically would the Tory majority be expected to be and would it be an overall majority or just largest party?

Britain Elects

if "the deadline for the UK to leave the EU has been extended beyond the 31st of October 2019":

(as I already opined, this doesn't mean that this is what will happen, obviously, it just shows that there is no possible way of accurately predicting the outcome of an election at present)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You do realise less than 25% of the population actually voted to leave? Why would supporters of the mostly leave supporting opposition parties vote for the Brexit Party?

You've only got to look at the Peterborough by election to see that.
Their Labour MP had gone to prison, so they voted to recall their vote. Labour put up a new candidate but the Brexit party were very sure of taking the seat as Peterborough had voted to Leave.
The new Labour candidate won the seat.

It was similar, in some respects, in Wales, but there the LibDem won from the Tory, despite Wales voting out in the referendum in 2016.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Never had the chance to vote for them to date. We did have a fish-finger in our constituency last time round. Given the chaos at Westminster, I might be tempted.

Go for it. After all, a dolphin got more votes than Nigel Farage, the last time he stood for Parliament.

On that note, UKIP are still fielding candidates despite being completely irrelevant now. That will confuse leavers even more.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Britain Elects

Don't believe polls. Don't believe anyone who says they know 'the mood of the nation'. Everything is in flux. Everything is up for grabs.

I heard somewhere the other day, the volatility of current UK voter intention at present is apparently the highest it's been since the run up to both the 1918 & 1931 General Elections.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The longer the opposition hold out the better. As soon as an election hits the disinformation starts again, with full support from mainstream media. They must resist and force an amendment to the deal that can pass.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Apparently, if Boris Johnson doesn't get his general election, he is threatening to remove his Withdrawal bill, and the government to go on strike.
Fun times ahead.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we join the EEA via the EFTA pillar then we fulfill that cursed referendum and can all move on and live happily ever after - except the racists, obviously, but "c'est la vie" as their French mates say.

This Brexit saga could have been so simple and over and done with on time by the March 2019 deadline.

All we had to do is keep the Vote Leave promise to the people of being part of the "free trade zone between Iceland and the border of Russia".
A plague on the Borg Queen's arbitrary red lines, and of the breaking of that promise.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Apparently, if Boris Johnson doesn't get his general election, he is threatening to remove his Withdrawal bill, and the government to go on strike.
Fun times ahead.

But.....if that were to happen, Nick Watt on Newsnight last night was musing the possibility of Oliver Letwin again, via a SO24, taking control of the order paper and bringing Johnson's deal back and there being talk of various cross party support for basically Theresa May's deal with Labour friendly amendments added.

Fun times indeed.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
If we join the EEA via the EFTA pillar then we fulfill that cursed referendum and can all move on and live happily ever after - except the racists, obviously, but "c'est la vie" as their French mates say.

This Brexit saga could have been so simple and over and done with on time by the March 2019 deadline.

A plague on the Borg Queen's arbitrary red lines.

As I have said before - in the parliamentary democracy that we live in, this, or something like it, was the only realistic route open to her. Especially once she'd f*cked up the election.

We could have had a version of brexit fairly easily, and painlessly. And most sensible people would have accepted it (barring the few extremists on both sides). Indeed, 99.9% of people would not even have noticed it had happened.

But she chose not to as she knew it would require her having to work with Labour, and would tear the Tory party apart.
She put her party ahead of country.

Boris then took over on a promise he knew he could never keep. And deserves to take the blame for knowingly raising that false expectation, in order to stir up further division that he thinks he can, ultimately, take advantage of.

And yet somehow, in the minds of many - it's all Corbyn's fault.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Becoming a little frustrated with the EU.

They appear to be enabling our head idiot Johnson and his antics by waiting out what Parliament votes before offering extension.

If they really wanted an end to this mess, the EU would give Labour the green light to vote for the election.

I don't see Johnsons bill passing against more scrutiny. Hell, some Labour MPs only voted it through to allow them more time to read it properly and think of amendments. When all the bad stuff in the deal gets out, it'll be dead in the water like Mays deal.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

All we had to do is keep the Vote Leave promise to the people of being part of the "free trade zone between Iceland and the border of Russia".
A plague on the Borg Queen's arbitrary red lines, and of the breaking of that promise.

I know you keep pushing EFTA, but as i pointed out to you yesterday (or day before ?), there is absolutely nothing for Britain's very significant services sector. (Norway tried, but failed to negotiate something for their financial services).

You have repeatedly said that you really want to leave causing the least economic damage, in which case single market and customs union is the way.

I still can't see the benefit of the economic damage and loss of control that any of these 'Soft Brexits' would cause and that's why I believe we should remain.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Becoming a little frustrated with the EU.

They appear to be enabling our head idiot Johnson and his antics by waiting out what Parliament votes before offering extension.

If they really wanted an end to this mess, the EU would give Labour the green light to vote for the election.

I don't see Johnsons bill passing against more scrutiny. Hell, some Labour MPs only voted it through to allow them more time to read it properly and think of amendments. When all the bad stuff in the deal gets out, it'll be dead in the water like Mays deal.

Think they are tied either way.

They want us gone, but they dont want to be seen as being no deal enablers.

I imagine they will extend till 31st Jan now they know an election is on the cards.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
You've only got to look at the Peterborough by election to see that.
Their Labour MP had gone to prison, so they voted to recall their vote. Labour put up a new candidate but the Brexit party were very sure of taking the seat as Peterborough had voted to Leave.
The new Labour candidate won the seat.

It was similar, in some respects, in Wales, but there the LibDem won from the Tory, despite Wales voting out in the referendum in 2016.

I'm just excited to find out who my new Tory MP, for whom I will not have voted, will be...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I know you keep pushing EFTA, but as i pointed out to you yesterday (or day before ?), there is absolutely nothing for Britain's very significant services sector. (Norway tried, but failed to negotiate something for their financial services).

You have repeatedly said that you really want to leave causing the least economic damage, in which case single market and customs union is the way.

I still can't see the benefit of the economic damage and loss of control that any of these 'Soft Brexits' would cause and that's why I believe we should remain.
Yes, Switzerland are negotiating Financial Services access from within their EFTA membership, so we'd clearly need to do the same after the initial basic stage is done.

We could even have a EU-Switzerland-UK services deal at some point - though probably best not to name it EUSUK [emoji38]ol:

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I'm just excited to find out who my new Tory MP, for whom I will not have voted, will be...

Who knows... in these most uncertain times you could even get the MP you voted for. This is the most unpredictable political climate of my lifetime.

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
As I have said before - in the parliamentary democracy that we live in, this, or something like it, was the only realistic route open to her. Especially once she'd f*cked up the election.

We could have had a version of brexit fairly easily, and painlessly. And most sensible people would have accepted it (barring the few extremists on both sides). Indeed, 99.9% of people would not even have noticed it had happened.

But she chose not to as she knew it would require her having to work with Labour, and would tear the Tory party apart.
She put her party ahead of country.

Boris then took over on a promise he knew he could never keep. And deserves to take the blame for knowingly raising that false expectation, in order to stir up further division that he thinks he can, ultimately, take advantage of.

And yet somehow, in the minds of many - it's all Corbyn's fault.

You should've heard Sajid Javid this morning on BBC Breakfast. "Corbyns fault this, Corbyns fault that. Blah, blah blah! Sob sob sob! You must remember this Government doesn't have a working majority"

Yeah, and who's fault this that Javid? Not Corbyns certainly. Try looking closer to home. Try May for holding the snap election a couple of years ago and reducing her majority to almost nothing, and then Bodge Job for sacking 21 MP's from the Tory party.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Britain Elects

I think you’re right. No one side has this right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here