Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It will be interesting in Lewes as Caulfield is hard right wing Tory, card bearing ERG member, but Brexit Ltd are also putting in a candidate, so who do leavers vote for? Their vote with be split.

expect the Liberals to take Lewes as its a remain voting seat.
the issue for Labour will be how many leave voting seats they lose in the Midlands and up north, issue for Conservative will they lose too many to Liberals. i dont see any other result than another hung parliament.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I could be wrong and apologies if I am but has anyone in authority actually used the term "European Army"? It invokes an emotive image of massed troops marching past the Reichstag while General von Someone takes the salute which I suppose is why Leavers like to use it. I can't think of another reason - they never talk about the North Atlantic Army. The suggestion that European nations co-ordinate some of their defence capabilities in order to avoid the wild duplications and wasteful expense we have now seems rather sensible to me. I have often thought it would be a good idea if the French and British combined their nuclear submarine fleets - it's a reasonable principle surely?

I have actually heard people on radio phone in's say " I'm genuinely worried there might be an European Army that we have to become a part of " . Sad that these people lose sleep over a closer affiliation with our nearest neighbours and principle trading partners. I for one, " genuinely " feel that it would be far better to be a willing partner in an European Army than NOT in an European Army. We are pretty much part of an European Army already as members of NATO, take America out ( and Trump wants out ! ) and that's what we are left with anyway.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Indeed.
The UK joined a small number of countries in an economic community not the political Union of 28 nations it has morphed into decades later.
There was no indication to the general public in the 70s that remaining in the European Community meant an ever closer Union of governments in a political project with an increase of competences being ceded to Brussels from Westminster over the years and treaties.

I bet the same people did not predict the internet so they had better not use it. The world changes.

What is worrying is that none of those advocating Leave can actually state why.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
expect the Liberals to take Lewes as its a remain voting seat.
the issue for Labour will be how many leave voting seats they lose in the Midlands and up north, issue for Conservative will they lose too many to Liberals. i dont see any other result than another hung parliament.

I can see this happening too, Labour remain voters drift to the Libs, Tory leave ( without a deal as otherwise its not Brexit and we want to commit economic suicide ) go to the Farage Company. Libs hoover up from both sides, Monster Raving Looney Party seen as too middle of the road in present circumstances and tank.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I have yet to meet a leaver who has changed his mind. I have also yet to meet a leaver who didn't vote for no deal. I am very confident that 99% of those that voted leave did so thinking that means we leave with no deal. The clue is in the word "leave".

The good news is it looks like Boris is going to do it. Lovely stuff. Not the perfect no deal leave that most of "our lot" would have wanted but a fair and sensible compromise.

Well done Boris. :clap2::rave:

Ever back up that crap about Jo Swinson’s husband you posted without doing any checking that you weren’t gullibly falling for right-wing fake news?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I can see this happening too, Labour remain voters drift to the Libs, Tory leave ( without a deal as otherwise its not Brexit and we want to commit economic suicide ) go to the Farage Company. Libs hoover up from both sides, Monster Raving Looney Party seen as too middle of the road in present circumstances and tank.

Never had the chance to vote for them to date. We did have a fish-finger in our constituency last time round. Given the chaos at Westminster, I might be tempted.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yep, its important to know the distinction between the future trade deal and the current withdrawal agreement. When you do know, it becomes rather silly to attribute the Liam Fox comment of “easiest deal in human history” toward the current WA when he is clearly referencing a future FTA.

You're assuming that Liam Fox at the time he was saying it was himself distinguishing between the two. I think that most people would take it as a comment about completing the whole withdrawal process

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I think that the bIggest losers to the Brexit party will be the opposition parties as people are fully aware that they are the ones responsible for us not having left the EU.

You do realise less than 25% of the population actually voted to leave? Why would supporters of the mostly leave supporting opposition parties vote for the Brexit Party?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think that the bIggest losers to the Brexit party will be the opposition parties as people are fully aware that they are the ones responsible for us not having left the EU.

And there are lots of people happy that we have not left the EU. It is going to be complicated

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I have actually heard people on radio phone in's say " I'm genuinely worried there might be an European Army that we have to become a part of " . Sad that these people lose sleep over a closer affiliation with our nearest neighbours and principle trading partners. I for one, " genuinely " feel that it would be far better to be a willing partner in an European Army than NOT in an European Army. We are pretty much part of an European Army already as members of NATO, take America out ( and Trump wants out ! ) and that's what we are left with anyway.

It's a strange isn't it? The lesson most European countries have taken from centuries of pointless war is that we should cooperate for the common good; for leavers this seems to be considered a threat to keeping Britain great. They seem to be in denial that Britain no longer has an empire and instead needs close allies...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Quite agree. Parliament has prattled on enough on the withdrawal now.
Get the withdrawal agreement over and done so we can move on to the trade aspect

Or alternatively get BREXIT done so we can see our mistake all the sooner and start negotiating to get back in!:cheers:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a strange isn't it? The lesson most European countries have taken from centuries of pointless war is that we should cooperate for the common good; for leavers this seems to be considered a threat to keeping Britain great. They seem to be in denial that Britain no longer has an empire and instead needs close allies...

We can't be seen or perceived to be needing " Foreign Jonnies" as allies, I think our leavers want us to stand away from any obligations and alliances and be allowed to pick and choose who we fight with or against dependant on the whims of the Daily Mail.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You're assuming that Liam Fox at the time he was saying it was himself distinguishing between the two. I think that most people would take it as a comment about completing the whole withdrawal process

At the time of the comment we were already discussing on this thread about how the trade talks are separate from the withdrawal talks and can only be completed when we have left and are a third country. The EU Council guidelines on A50 negotiations had been published and out for a couple of months confirming the process. Pretty sure considering we on here knew it that Mr Fox was capable of knowing too.

Or alternatively get BREXIT done so we can see our mistake all the sooner and start negotiating to get back in!:cheers:

Whatever floats your boat, but yes agree get the exit part and withdrawal done and move onto the trade aspect.
Im looking forward to the join the European Union debate……but more importantly finding out in the future how on earth the Lib Dems got into power to put it back on the agenda. Cant see the Tories or Labour wanting to revisit the issue for years after its all over and we have left.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
really ,you really need to get a grip with public opinion Hammy, everyone one I know has hardened their viiews on leaving
Regards
DF

Everyone ? Mind you, that's the people YOU know. According to the ComRes 26,000 poll this month....

If the vote was held again it's 54-46 remain.

On the current tables 50% say leave and respect the vote. 42% remain.

The mean position (to use a mathematical term that you may need to look up) is to leave with a deal. (Remainers plus those who want to leave with a deal is 72%)

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
really ,you really need to get a grip with public opinion Hammy, everyone one I know has hardened their viiews on leaving
Regards
DF

Well, if they are anything like as racist as you Das Reich it's hardly surprising. Although when you say 'know', do you really mean, 'post with on far right websites'?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here