Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I have yet to meet a leaver who has changed his mind. I have also yet to meet a leaver who didn't vote for no deal. I am very confident that 99% of those that voted leave did so thinking that means we leave with no deal. The clue is in the word "leave".

The good news is it looks like Boris is going to do it. Lovely stuff. Not the perfect no deal leave that most of "our lot" would have wanted but a fair and sensible compromise.

Well done Boris. :clap2::rave:

I have, but they have pointed out to me Conservative MPs have been changing their minds in droves and parliament has voted on Brexit many times - but they are denied any opportunity to show they have learnt more and wish to reverse their 2016 decision.

Poor show Boris!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Lots of things have changed. Opinions have changed. The level of available information has changed. The government and Prime Minister have changed. LAWS have changed. And the vote to leave was just the start of the argument - principally among the leave voters themselves, over what they'd actually voted for.

One thing certainly hasn't changed though - you remain an abject simpleton, with no understanding of the process, and nothing to add to any debate.

I voted remain.

But accept the result.

The most recent poll of polls by What UK Thinks: EU, run by independent agency NatCen Social Research, puts Remain on 52% and Leave on 48%, with undecideds taken out of the equation.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/brexit/103081/brexit-latest-polls-what-does-the-uk-actually-want

I just want this over and done.Surely another referendum solves nothing as if it resulted in a remain majority the process carries on and on and on.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm sorry but this is what you said :

"We have a power of veto.
That is why we still use pounds sterling instead of the euro."

So you said we don't use the Euro because of our veto but now you say it's because we had an opt out. I agree with your second reasoning - all members had an opt out - but it doesn't stop the policy. A veto on the other hand prevents the policy going forwards for anyone - it kills it dead.

As for the EU army, strange, remainers kept saying it was a lie that it was coming yet now Merkel and Macron have said it is the logical next step. As has Verhofstadt. So much for the leave lies.

I could be wrong and apologies if I am but has anyone in authority actually used the term "European Army"? It invokes an emotive image of massed troops marching past the Reichstag while General von Someone takes the salute which I suppose is why Leavers like to use it. I can't think of another reason - they never talk about the North Atlantic Army. The suggestion that European nations co-ordinate some of their defence capabilities in order to avoid the wild duplications and wasteful expense we have now seems rather sensible to me. I have often thought it would be a good idea if the French and British combined their nuclear submarine fleets - it's a reasonable principle surely?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I voted remain.

But accept the result.

The most recent poll of polls by What UK Thinks: EU, run by independent agency NatCen Social Research, puts Remain on 52% and Leave on 48%, with undecideds taken out of the equation.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/brexit/103081/brexit-latest-polls-what-does-the-uk-actually-want

I just want this over and done
.Surely another referendum solves nothing as if it resulted in a remain majority the process carries on and on and on.

Sorry to disappoint you but unless we revoke article 50 and remain (which I imagine would not please you) then 'over and done with' is not on the menu.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Wow.

Bullshit
I don't discuss politics with people IRL and rarely on here. But others talk about it. I know all 4 other members of my team voted leave and two would now vote remain as they are worried by how "hard" Brexit is likely to be. Added to the fact that my other half is the same and these are the only people I know the intentions of, by his ridiculous logic, the country is now 69-31 remain.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Stunning analysis their sparky

Just third word in, your response to the various studies on lesser educational attainment and leave voters has proven them to be broadly correct yet again.

Thanks though, it saved me bothering to read any of the rest. :thumbsup:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Sorry to disappoint you but unless we revoke article 50 and remain (which I imagine would not please you) then 'over and done with' is not on the menu.

My protest was not about remain(For which I voted for for purely selfish reasons as I live in an EU country)
I am just fed up with the constant delaying tactics and also the influence several minority parties have.
It seems that 10 MPs have a say on the future of the UK and the EU within this Parliament.

And don't get me started on the SNP.

I would love a referendum on Scottish independence but it should be across the whole of the UK if they have a say at Westminster, surely the rest of the UK should have a say on their independence.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
2nd edit - and seeing your distinction above between the deal and the agreement, I think you are splitting hairs or attributing Liam Fox with more knowledge about this than he actually has..... or both.

Yep, its important to know the distinction between the future trade deal and the current withdrawal agreement. When you do know, it becomes rather silly to attribute the Liam Fox comment of “easiest deal in human history” toward the current WA when he is clearly referencing a future FTA.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
You can't take the 'win' off leavers. They will cry. Their emotions are far more important than the country
Ffs people would laugh at them. It's important.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am very confident that 99% of those that voted leave did so thinking that means we leave with no deal

This thread just passed 106,000 posts, and even at this stage it is still capable of throwing up a post even more stupid, or more disingenuous, than you thought possible.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
That’s the other thing, what did we join? And what has it morphed into? If it was purely about trade deals I would be okay with it. It’s not though is it?

Indeed.
The UK joined a small number of countries in an economic community not the political Union of 28 nations it has morphed into decades later.
There was no indication to the general public in the 70s that remaining in the European Community meant an ever closer Union of governments in a political project with an increase of competences being ceded to Brussels from Westminster over the years and treaties.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Would be interesting if the extension (full 3 months) is granted at the weekend giving the greenlight for labour to vote for the Election on Monday.

I'm guessing Boris has already had assurances from Macron (hes been having back door conversations with Macron today) this won't he case. But would be funny if the posturing blew up in his face and Labour could call his bluff.

Imagine if Macron double crossed Boris?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
My protest was not about remain(For which I voted for for purely selfish reasons as I live in an EU country)
I am just fed up with the constant delaying tactics and also the influence several minority parties have.
It seems that 10 MPs have a say on the future of the UK and the EU within this Parliament.

I would love a referendum on Scottish independence but it should be across the whole of the UK if they have a say at Westminster, surely the rest of the UK should have a say on their independence.

So presumably if there was another EU referendum you would want everyone across Europe to have a vote?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The French President has more influence over the length of our extension than the British Prime Minister.

Brexit is not taking back control, it’s giving it away.

— David Lammy (@DavidLammy) October 24, 2019

Yes, that's the same David Lammy who voted for the Benn (surrender) act which instructed/forced the British Prime minister to accept any length of delay the EU wanted .... what a ****!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I voted remain.

But accept the result.

I just want this over and done.Surely another referendum solves nothing as if it resulted in a remain majority the process carries on and on and on.

Quite agree. Parliament has prattled on enough on the withdrawal now.
Get the withdrawal agreement over and done so we can move on to the trade aspect

Jan 30, 2008

Caroline Lucas springs to mind here ,a jumped up activist having multiple orgasms either handing in petitions to number 10 or voting against the Government 'pop up a wet one '.
Regards
DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here