Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ha! Oh it’s all to play for. No one side has a clear lead. But we can say for sure, remain is in the strongest position for quite some time.

You can sense it in the air. Leavers on here are getting more didgy than ever. And they’re a tetchy lot at the best of times.
But you think the UK will leave?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There is, but it'll probably be unfortunately after we've left.

The big divide in Brexit isn't young v old or north v south etc - it's academic attainment and everything that brings. Not necessarily wealth, intelligence and success, but life experiences, outlook, attitude, career prospects, opportunities and views on diversity etc it brings. It's certainly not universal, but it is broadly backed up - The places that voted remain in England and the people from them. 70% of benefit claimants voting leave. Nationalist community more likely to vote leave than someone from the Unionist side in Northern Ireland. A 24 year old graduate voting remain v a 74 year old non graduate who voted leave - it's all there. (Most 75 year old's voted leave, but my Dad passed his 11+ and unlike most back then, he went on all the way and.....you guessed it, he voted remain.)

As societal demographics shift and change and a young, informed, politically enthused, better and further educated generation, who will not have the opportunities of their parents - from everything from work prospects, job security, getting on the housing ladder than their predecessors - continue to move onward into their 20's, that leave majority ebbs away and call to rejoin gets louder.

Aside from economic and societal issues, the cause for rejoining will be helped by the fact Brexit is a regressive, nostalgic act, promulgated by the Tories who are a bunch of saddos - In the 21st century, with social media and a new enthused younger generation, policies, parties and politicians who are saddos, will be at a distinct disadvantage. Celebrity endorsement in the 21st century in the digital age will be crucial and when that referendum comes, leave or whatever it's called, will need better, persuasive individuals than the saddos they had in 2016. A will the rejoin side.

Enjoy it if and when it happens (there's been so many date changes it's difficult to keep up) and whenever it does I'm sure it'll be exactly what you think voted for all those years back. :thumbsup:

That's far too sensible and reasonable to be on this thread! Just to endorse a couple of things you say:
1. When I told my 86 year old recently widowed uncle in Southampton last Friday that I was going on the march on Saturday, he exploded and said all this BREXIT stuff is a nonsense. He is very firmly a remainer. He was the first member of his family to go to Grammar School, University and ended up a senior pharmacist in the Health Seevice.
2. It was very noticeable the number of young people on the march.
3. In an article in the Observer on Sunday, Will Hutton, well respected economist, President of on Oxford College and strong remainer, who was also on the march on Saturday, wrote amongst other things something like "the sooner we get out, the sooner we can start working towards getting back in.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think we will end up with a soft as silk Brexit. Retaining free movement and a single market etc. This fulfils the criteria of the 2016 advisory referendum and at least holds the U.K. together.

This is what will happen I think.

I also predict we will be back in the EU within 2 years.

I think two years is a bit optimistic, but I agree with you in principle.

I think BREXIT will happen, in some shape or form, hope it will be a success but don't think it will be, and so...……. We'll be back.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Johnson dodging the select committee again tomorrow for all those who trust him to deliver on his bullshitting.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Those MPs are a disgrace to the human race

People who commit acts of terrorism are a disgrace to the human race.
Rapists/Pedophiles/ are a disgrace to the human race.
Anyone committing human rights atrocities are a disgrace to the human race.

MP's standing up for what they believe in (regardless of whether that fits your view or not) are not a disgrace to the human race.

People might take you seriously if you tone down the ****ing drama for once.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well this isn’t getting through once parties make amendments. So it’s a GE or a Referendum. On the later we’ll probably stay, if this the former it’s probably a Labour Lib coalition. So don’t hold your breath

No. Please Ppf. Hold your breath.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They're still airing those "Get Ready For Brexit on 31st October 2019" TV ads:(

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Let’s see if Boris can convince leavers that this is not his fault despite having the numbers to get Brexit ‘done’, he has pulled the legislation meaning that it could be next year at the earliest before we leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here