Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Absolutely - Being in the EU Customs Union kills any point to Brexit.

We end up with a Turkey or San Marino or Andorra or Monaco deal - and the last 3 of those have specific additional arrangements with other larger EU states.

What are the queues like at the EU / Turkey border ? Clue - think tailback.

No one has ever championed those models, and a Customs Union amendment takes all the upside out of Brexit.

Literally no one has ever said "Ooo Brexit - that means we can be like Turkey".

With all due respect your opinion like mine is irrelevant. There is consensus in Parliament for it and the Government are running scared. Even threatening to pull the bill if there is a chance of it passing.

A1X

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But the 'new' deal is about 90% the same of the May deal. So they should definitely have read the May deal. Equally, it was only 110 pages - how long does it take to read 110 pages ?

With addendums and appendices the full Withdrawal Bill was 452 pages long.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ok, so we can eliminate John Redwood, it wasnt him that said the withdrawal agreement will be the "easiest deal in history"

The DUP voted all three times AGAINST Mays deal not with her.I see why you think it was solely down to the ERG killing her on the deal

Then thats even more bizarre that you are referring to the post brexit trade deal and not the Withdrawal Agreement in the past tense “It was supposed to be the easiest deal in history”!!!!"
We havnt even commenced the trade talks yet
It was the disgraced former defence minister Liam Fox who uttered the words about 'easiest deal in history'.

He is once again "Yesterday's Zero".

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
there are many people like myself utterly appalled at what the Remain side has done.

So you don't believe people with an opinion should be allowed to act on them?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
With all due respect your opinion like mine is irrelevant. There is consensus in Parliament for it and the Government are running scared. Even threatening to pull the bill if there is a chance of it passing.

Yet again the Tories just aren't interested in building consensus, hardline loons calling the shots again.

EU keen on 31st Jan election and looks like that's where we're heading. Time for tactical voting at get this rabble out of office. Will be lobbying my Lib Dem MP like hell for this

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It was the disgraced former defence minister Liam Fox who uttered the words about 'easiest deal in history'.

He is once again "Yesterday's Zero".

Yes, but as you know he wasnt talking about the Withdrawal Agreement, Fox was talking about the post brexit free trade deal, we have not got to that stage yet.

Liam Fox has said a post-Brexit free trade deal with the EU should be the “easiest in human history”,
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...trade-deal-after-brexit-easiest-human-history

Still none the wiser who said the withdrawal agreement would be the "easiest deal in history", surely people are not moaning about the easiness claim before trade talks have commenced let alone concluded.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I tried to explain this to our American colleagues yesterday on a call. They also assumed that once the form was signed we would be out...I said, no, that is the start of the end, which could last for years!

A wise man once said,

Now this is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

He knew a bit, did dear old Winston.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ok, so we can eliminate John Redwood, it wasnt him that said the withdrawal agreement will be the "easiest deal in history"

The DUP voted all three times AGAINST Mays deal not with her.I see why you think it was solely down to the ERG killing her on the deal

Then thats even more bizarre that you are referring to the post brexit trade deal and not the Withdrawal Agreement in the past tense “It was supposed to be the easiest deal in history”!!!!"
We havnt even commenced the trade talks yet

Typical Brexiteer rhetoric. Never admitting when you’re wrong. I now expect another 10-15 posts of you desperately revising and nit picking to make out you were right. Go for it. It will make for amusing reading.

Yoda

English & European

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012

Just a little research throws this up: https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-deal-eu-liam-fox-boris-johnson-a7851656.html
Liam Fox said it on 20 July, 2017.
I'm sorry, I did not realise you were so anal. It just shows that large numbers of the most virulent supporters of BREXIT haven't got the first clue of what they are talking about.

edit - and the comment about "haven't got the first clue what they are talking about" was meant about John Redwood and Liam Fox, not you.
2nd edit - and seeing your distinction above between the deal and the agreement, I think you are splitting hairs or attributing Liam Fox with more knowledge about this than he actually has..... or both.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2719

What really is shameful is that the deal is 95% identical to the one that Theresa May put before Parliament on numerous occassions, but they took no time at all in voting that down. One can only assume that they had fully read and understood the important step that they were voting on.

So the Boris deal has a some small differences in it when compared to May’s deal, mostly concerning Northern Ireland. So Jezza and other remainers suddenly have lost the ability to read the document (110 pages in total, far less than that number that have actually been changed from the May deal) and make a judgement.

It is disingenuous to suggest that the Remain camp have behaved in any other way than shameful in their wilful attempt to subvert the will of the people.

From someone who was once a passionate remainer, but the underhand, dishonest tactics since the referendum have turned me.

The desperation of Labour, Lib undems and SNP are out of control and they care for no one but their own politicals gains.

I take my hat off to ex remainers like yourself and the 19 Labour MPs that had some balls to think about democracy and bringing Britain back together again.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Kevin Barron (Rother Valley), Sarah Champion (Rotherham), Rosie Cooper (West Lancashire), Jon Cruddas (Dagenham and Rainham), Gloria De Piero (Ashfield), Jim Fitzpatrick (Poplar and Limehouse), Caroline Flint (Don Valley), Mike Hill (Hartlepool), Dan Jarvis (Barnsley Central), Emma Lewell-Buck (South Shields), John Mann (Bassetlaw), Grahame Morris (Easington), Lisa Nandy (Wigan), Melanie Onn (Great Grimsby), Stephanie Peacock (Barnsley East), Jo Platt (Leigh), Ruth Smeeth (Stoke-on-Trent North), Laura Smith (Crewe and Nantwich), Gareth Snell (Stoke-on-Trent Central).

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro
Jan 30, 2008
Erm.....this bill was never shared with parliament. I can’t believe people are repeating this massive lie. It is amazing that people comment who don’t understand the process. This is not like reading a book. Each clause and sub clause will link to other laws and regulations so you need to cross reference and then check again. The idea that simply reading it is enough (as some seem to say in the media) is bizarre. It is incredibly complicated and MPs will need legal nods to help them through it. This is why so many look to Hilary Benn, Keir Starmer and Dominic grieve for a steer. They know what they are doing.

People like Andrew Bridgen who was discussing it on newsnight simply have no idea about what it actually means.

In fact it is doubtful that Boris does either!

Benn ,Grieve and Starmers know exactly what they're doing stalling the Brexit Decision in a decisive way to suit their agenda, you must be thick as pig shit not to see that .
But then you 've got your head so far up your arse along with a few others on here to see it any other way Public.opinion wants this sorted NOW not dragged out
Regards
DF

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro
Oh look Julian Smith says they still haven't worked out forms or tariffs will exist when NI firms want to sell in to GB. And people want to wave this deal through and let the Tories make it up as they go along.

You've lost your heads.

This would be a bit like making Cornwall go through official export procedures to send goods across the River Tamar to Devon. Or have I misunderstood?

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Brexit deal currently on offer will not 'bring britain back together again'...rather the opposite.

It's doubly laughable as it actually effectively carves a bit off Britain, so it's dividing it more than it was before.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Brexit deal currently on offer will not 'bring britain back together again'...rather the opposite.

It will create a double fracture of the United Kingdom. Just bizarre its been cooked up by the Conservative and UNIONIST party, just couldn't make this sh1t up

Welcome to the Conservative and Brexit party

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here