Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Firstly, unless you're flying from the back of a boat, it's the Union FLAG …. not Jack. You'd expect a true patriot to know that and especially one that decides to use for their avatar. Secondly, of course the English flag was represented - it's part of the Union Flag.

I didn't see a single St George flag alone, just admit it you'd be happy to be just English not British.

But you are of course not alone, the new form of exceptionalism exists in their isles and isn't going to end well

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
One last observation.

This is all sound and reasonable.... but would have needed to have been in place at the start of the process - so everyone knew upfront that their initial vote was only half the decision.

Another Cameron failure, really.[/QUOTE]

So I suppose an important question is, 'should we simply ignore this failure of leadership or acknowledge it and try to address it in to ensure fairness for both lobbies'?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Jeez, echoes of a previous quote from Bojo the clown.,.

The Green MP Caroline Lucas asks about “the trap door” in the deal where if the UK hasn’t negotiated an arrangement with the EU by the end of next year, we will “crash out”. Johnson says there will be no crashing out “because we will negotiate a great new friendship and partnership”.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It doesn't matter what you believe. Many people would feel betrayed and there would be damaging consequences, fortunately I believe the moderate forces of democracy, fairness and freedom will prevail and we will leave.

How on earth can you trust any of them to do what you want? They change their minds day to day.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So have I got this right? I give you a 110-page Withdrawal Agreement with 300+ pages of supporting text and no Economic Impact Assessment, and if you won't wave it through inside a few days then we're pulling the Bill and having a General Election?

All this on the back of illegally proroguing Parliament and then writing 2 letters to the EU.

I haven't seen such naivety since the days of the primary school playground. Exactly who is advising Boris? Tucker Jenkins, Pogo Patterson and Gripper Stebson??

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
This is and has always been about the Tory party. They are the most successful political party in history and this is because they only truly care about themselves. This deadline of the 31st October is only about the career of Boris Johnson.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So have I got this right? I give you a 110-page Withdrawal Agreement with 300+ pages of supporting text and no Economic Impact Assessment, and if you won't wave it through inside a few days then we're pulling the Bill and having a General Election?

All this on the back of illegally proroguing Parliament and then writing 2 letters to the EU.

I haven't seen such naivety since the days of the primary school playground. Exactly who is advising Boris? Tucker Jenkins, Pogo Patterson and Gripper Stebson??

How does Johnson think he's going to get his election?

Yoda

English & European

I know, I'm nearly 40 and I've never in my lifetime seen a PM acting like a ****ing 6 year old in all his time in office.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I didn't see a single St George flag alone, just admit it you'd be happy to be just English not British.

But you are of course not alone, the new form of exceptionalism exists in their isles and isn't going to end well

Very happy to be British thank you. Just not a 'citizen' of the EU.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
How does Johnson think he's going to get his election?

It would need the EU to agree to the extension for the purposes of the election.

Then the opposition can't really refuse without looking hypocritical.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It is worrying that when questioned on the whys and hows that it is clear folk don't know enough about it.

Also worrying that they just repeat paper headlines.

That's why I'm against a second referendum. Elected representatives are paid to understand this stuff, it's not my job.

That said, having read some of it, I do think they should have signed up to the May deal. I've not changed my view on that one.
If you had heard the call you would have been really, really worried! The lady said it was a good deal and that it should be passed as quickly as possible...

When asked what was the best thing about the deal the lady stumbled and said " There are many good things in this deal.. " when asked " What in particular is good about the deal? " ... She said she hadn't read it and had no idea what was in it!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Finally acknowledging reality and waving the white flag to the forces of freedom and democacy ... well done sir. I wonder who will be the next Hiroo Onoda.

No. No white flag I’m afraid. I have by and large maintained we will probably leave. Some moments have given me hope and as I write this we are still fully signed up members of the EU.

Leaving without at least another referendum would be an utter affront to democracy but since when do leavers care for democracy?

I still believe anything can happen. Your mob hasn’t got it in the bag just yet.

Anyway, absolutely stunning day up on the beautiful South Downs today. 22 Km worth of pure Sussex countryside walked today. Lovely.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well, now that the Withdrawal Bill has been published and there have been a good few hours to read and digest it (and apparently plenty of time for it to be voted on even).

I would like to know [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] views on it. Mainly, is it the 'good deal' that the two of you have been waiting so patiently for, and if so, what are the aspects that make it so far removed from every other 'Vassal State' soft Brexit that you have been against ?

I'm also somewhat surprised that neither of you have corrected me on my interpretation of clause 30 ???

If I have understood clause 30 correctly,

I think you're right and, if we haven't negotiated a deal we could well go 'no deal' on 31st December 2020.

However, given that we currently have 14 months of 'implementation period' left to negotiate the most complex full trade deal in Britain's history and that may have to include time to get the WA through parliament and hold a general Election, Shirley no idiot would seriously think this can happen, so there will obviously have to be an extension to the 'implementation period'.

It's just that the £39B that Johnson wasn't going to pay, but has now decided to pay, only covers us up to 31st December 2020. If we extend beyond that, then the EU can charge us whatever they like, as there is no framework for further payments :facepalm:

It's obviously been well thought through, this 'deal' :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No. No white flag I’m afraid. I have by and large maintained we will probably leave. Some moments have given me hope and as I write this we are still fully signed up members of the EU.

Leaving without at least another referendum would be an utter affront to democracy but since when do leavers care for democracy?

I still believe anything can happen. Your mob hasn’t got it in the bag just yet.

Anyway, absolutely stunning day up on the beautiful South Downs today. 22 Km worth of pure Sussex countryside walked today. Lovely.

I disagree as to have another referendum would be the biggest affront to democracy. The referendum, as promised , was held and a result determined and as such should be acted on. Anything else is wrong. End of story.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This is and has always been about the Tory party. They are the most successful political party in history and this is because they only truly care about themselves. This deadline of the 31st October is only about the career of Boris Johnson.

That's one of the things I was saying earlier. A major national issue has suddenly turned into a tit-for-tat between the main political parties. Absolute shitshow.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Lol, leaving without another referendum is an affront to democracy... I have heard it all now.

I voted remain, but there should not be another vote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here