Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So the Tory party again demanding more votes until their side wins. But that’s okay for leavers because democracy only stands if they get what they want.

When will you lot realise Brexit can’t work and and nobody with any sense wants it.

Absolutely pathetic.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why are people complaining about the Speaker of the House of Commons? This is out democracy at work, isn't it what Leave 'voted for'?

Because basically the Brexiters now subscribe to the Scooby Doo theory that they would get away with it if it wasn't for that pesky Speaker.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think [MENTION=11231]Rockerite[/MENTION] is referring to this. That the Americans can't be trusted as an ally under Trump. So let's organise ourselves a combined army for greater protection.

I guess someone told him about it and he didn't know where to look for proof, or even try to ascertain its truth to start with

View attachment 116357

Sounds like a good idea to me given we know what the U.S. does to its allies.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well if any EU Customs Union amendment is passed, it'll prevent EFTA membership and hence any hope of a Norway deal or a Switzerland deal.

Who wants Turkey+, San Marino+, Andorra+ or Manaco+ ?

Unless a 3rd pillar of access to the EEA is negotiated alongside the EU and EFTA pillars. Absolutely no chance of that happening.

So any Customs Union amendment will kill the whole point of Brexit for me. The golden opportunity will have gone up in smoke. Brexit bungled.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I am impatient because he has been the best weapon the anti Boris mob have had and will continue to do us harm for the remaining 10 days, possibly irreparable.

Speaking as one of the 16million+ "anti Boris mob" I'd say that although useful as Bercow has been, by far the best weapon in our arsenal was the inept Theresa May blowing her majority in 2017. We haven't looked back since then.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Because basically the Brexiters now subscribe to the Scooby Doo theory that they would get away with it if it wasn't for that pesky Speaker.

It's the Blame game.
Remain MPs
Gina Miller
Remainers
Judges
The EU
The Speaker
The Queen
Rebel Tories
The SNP
The Irish

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
So the Tory party again demanding more votes until their side wins. But that’s okay for leavers because democracy only stands if they get what they want.

When will you lot realise Brexit can’t work and and nobody with any sense wants it.

Absolutely pathetic.

You could make exactly the same argument for the Labour Party. They've been whipping against this for the sole reason they want to be in power.

They are all as bad as each other....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, how dare he do his job and not allow the government to do whatever the hell they want!

It's like you don't have a ****ing clue what his job is BG. Or is Bercow the current hate-figure for those too frustrated by the state of play?
You've got to be pretty f**king stupid if you think passing this bill is 'bringing it to an end'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Shame it will still happen, eventually. Has only strengthened the resolve of supporters. It isn't going away.

I agree it isn't going away. I disagree that it has strengthened those that want to leave when I have read many posts by those who have changed their minds to remain.
Why not ask the public again to see what they want to do now?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry, I misread your 'who were they?' (ie. The Speakers) question. I thought that you genuinely wanted to know.

You posted categorically that John Bercow had moved the goalposts. I thought you had information about which previous Speakers had done things differently.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well if any EU Customs Union amendment is passed, it'll prevent EFTA membership and hence any hope of a Norway deal or a Switzerland deal.

Unless a 3rd pillar of access to the EEA is negotiated alongside the EU and EFTA pillars. Absolutely no chance of that happening.

So any Customs Union amendment will kill the whole point of Brexit for me. The golden opportunity will have gone up in smoke. Brexit bungled.

it would be unhelpful and might kill the whole deal, unless they put it in the political declaration. which is the only thing the EU would agree to anyway (negotiating customs union or not is a matter for the transition). smart people might notice how easy it was for some issues to be moved from WA to the political declaration, because they remain open to negotiation in future. the EU are apparently quite happy to leave doors open.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It is interesting that you don’t think a border between us and NI is that different. I have just seen something suggesting that exporters from NI to GB will need to fill out customs form. This is pretty big issue and surely the beginning of the end for the union.

I miss the days when The tories were championing NI as a place to do business because they keep the benefits of SM and CU. Was that last Friday? Fun times.
Having Northern Ireland effectively treating the rest of the UK as another country is eye opening. I wonder what else in Boris's Wonder Deal will be exposed next?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
it would be unhelpful and might kill the whole deal, unless they put it in the political declaration. which is the only thing the EU would agree to anyway (negotiating customs union or not is a matter for the transition). smart people might notice how easy it was for some issues to be moved from WA to the political declaration, because they remain open to negotiation in future. the EU are apparently quite happy to leave doors open.
True. The political declaration is just a future guideline I suppose.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Golden opportunity? What does that mean in actual , tangible terms?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It is interesting that you don’t think a border between us and NI is that different. I have just seen something suggesting that exporters from NI to GB will need to fill out customs form. This is pretty big issue and surely the beginning of the end for the union.

i didnt say i think theres no difference, its important difference between agreements. beyond that what differences are there between the previous WA and this one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here