Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Whatever way you voted over three years ago, I think we can probably all agree the ideal solution would be; deal gets voted down, extension until June/July 2020, GE, Tory's out, Lib Dems in, use the extension to revoke A50, Lib dems out, Labour in and a return to a Great Britain. Farage, Cameron and Johnson prosecuted for sedition.

Whatever way you voted three years ago, I think we can all agree, this guy is a knob.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
And if you voted remain I’m a Happy Meal.

I did, and you seem correct in your analogy, you appear to be ..........................blah blah blah etc

I came up with something for the above space but was not rude enough to post it, not sure you would do the same.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That Remain was the best choice in the referendum. Which is how I voted.

But now, for the sake of UK national unity, leaving is the least worst option.

This is always an interesting statement when I hear it on the radio or telly and so on. I haven't fallen out with anyone over Brexit - despite the country being apparently 'divided' over it. Most people gave it a tiny bit of thought in 2016, voted for one reason or another how they did - and thought that was it. Mostly, if the subject of Brexit is raised in any conversation, there is just a groan, and we move on to something else.

I'm not sure we really are in danger of being 'split'. Whatever the decision, the vast majority of people will simply be glad that there might be something else in the news for a while. And in fact, given that remaining is the 'least change' way out of all of this, it's likely to bring about unity (in as much as we can all get on with other stuff) more than a deal which will simply mean years more bickering, and arguing over whether any specific economic, environmental,or working change in the future is the 'fault of Brexit'.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This is always an interesting statement when I hear it on the radio or telly and so on. I haven't fallen out with anyone over Brexit - despite the country being apparently 'divided' over it. Most people gave it a tiny bit of thought in 2016, voted for one reason or another how they did - and thought that was it. Mostly, if the subject of Brexit is raised in any conversation, there is just a groan, and we move on to something else.

I'm not sure we really are in danger of being 'split'. Whatever the decision, the vast majority of people will simply be glad that there might be something else in the news for a while. And in fact, given that remaining is the 'least change' way out of all of this, it's likely to bring about unity (in as much as we can all get on with other stuff) more than a deal which will simply mean years more bickering, and arguing over whether any specific economic, environmental,or working change in the future is the 'fault of Brexit'.

Appreciate your view. Nice to get sensible discussion for once. I feel that those who have realised that this should be a democratic decision/process have long moved on to the acceptance of whatever is delivered. There are others on both sides who have pinned their colours to the mast and will defend it till the end. In my view it does not bode well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

The economic forecasts say we'll be worse of under Boris's deal, so why would the 48% - who will be defeated and now poorer - come back into the fold?

Brexit is bad economically, it is bad politically, it is bad environmentally, bad for security, it isolates us, it weakens us as the UK and it threatens the break-up of the UK itself. Anyone who thinks Britain can return to the way they were pre-Brexit is deluded.

This country canot afford to take the risk of leaving the EU and the short term economic impact that will bring. Our NHS and social services are at breaking point already, we canot afford a 2 or 3% drop in tax revenue, let alone the 6 or 7% some forecasters are predicting.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The economic forecasts say we'll be worse of under Boris's deal, so why would the 48% - who will be defeated and now poorer - come back into the fold?

Brexit is bad economically, it is bad politically, it is bad environmentally, bad for security, it isolates us, it weakens us as the UK and it threatens the break-up of the UK itself. Anyone who thinks Britain can return to the way they were pre-Brexit is deluded.

This country canot afford to take the risk of leaving the EU and the short term economic impact that will bring. Our NHS and social services are at breaking point already, we canot afford a 2 or 3% drop in tax revenue, let alone the 6 or 7% some forecasters are predicting.

Labour MP Jess Philips has just said "We are being asked to trust Johnson to care for our constituents when his whole career he has voted to impoverish them, reduce their rights, limit their protections at work..."

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The Catalans are showing the Brexiteers how to protest when you want independence. All we get is a gap few gammon mumbling about it on social media before they carry on drinking their tinnie

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anybody who thinks tomorrow's vote, or the Withdrawal Agreement is the end, needs to note this from Twitter. The confirmations are from members of the press.

Now have 3 confirmations on this story.

ERG are getting assurances from AG Geoffrey Cox that Britain (without N Ireland) can crash out of transition phase December 2020 in no deal as was planned this year.

Johnson Brexit deal is thus an attempt to force a later no deal.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
[tweet]1185160014421299200[/tweet]

That's all you need to know about this farcical ****ing situation and why this should be voted down.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Anybody who thinks tomorrow's vote, or the Withdrawal Agreement is the end, needs to note this from Twitter. The confirmations are from members of the press.

ERG are getting assurances from AG Geoffrey Cox that Britain (without N Ireland) can crash out of transition phase December 2020 in no deal as was planned this year.

:lolol: you can’t put down extremists, even as a minority they keep trying to force their will

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

That's all you need to know about this farcical ****ing situation and why this should be voted down.

If this deal passes, why would no deal be better than a free trade deal?

If we do a free trade deal then we are out of the EU but we also have trade arrangements with the EU which both sides agree to. Who would prefer to have no trade deal? There might be one or two, but it won't be up to them they are in a minority.

Now, if this deal fails, then you get into a situation where we have an election and Brexit isn't concluded. Hard Brexit MPs move the campaign more in their direction, Brexit Party gains seats. You will end up with more chance of no deal if this deal fails, than you would if this deal passes.

Until a trade deal is done with the EU there is no way of preventing no deal, but you can make no deal much more likely. The way to do that is to vote down this deal.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the question begged is why would they, if during the transition period an amicable trade/customs/political agreement is reached? this possibility would exist in any withdrawal deal, it is not and never has been a long term agreement.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Well, what he actually said was that he had assurances that the UK would leave on 'no deal' terms if the trade talks fail at the end of 2020.

Having 'no intention' of signing up is a lie.

They obviously don't bank on people watching the interview.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
the question begged is why would they, if during the transition period an amicable trade/customs/political agreement is reached? this possibility would exist in any withdrawal deal, it is not and never has been a long term agreement.

Cummings & Johnson don't want an amicable trade, customs, or political agreement in the transition period.
The whole thing is a big con.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

It wouldn't be the same as *no deal* currently is.

The withdrawal agreement would be done and set in history.

What this means is "leave transition without a deal" - which would be really bad but... there is no acrimony in the mix, just an incentive for both sides to keep talking and get an initial trade deal done quickly. An enhanced trade deal could even follow on later.

And... we will be further along the way with a US Trade deal ( not blocked by Congress as we haven't trashed the Good Friday Agreement ).

So, very bad but not the same degree of cataclysm.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I did, and you seem correct in your analogy, you appear to be ..........................blah blah blah etc

I came up with something for the above space but was not rude enough to post it, not sure you would do the same.

Post what you like, I’m not a snowflake. I dish it out, I can take it. If it’s true or funny or both what’s not to like?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cummings & Johnson don't want an amicable trade, customs, or political agreement in the transition period.
The whole thing is a big con.

why not? who benefits from no amicable agreement and who told you so?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here