Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The difference being that negotiations will go on separately from normal government business. The reason everything has ground to a halt over the last 2-3 years is because of the arguments about should we leave or shouldn't we and if we do leave how. It's involved Parliament in every step. Parliament and indeed most of government won't be involved day to day with the negotiations once we've left. Instead they can get on with other business.

I'm glad that's been cleared up then.

What constituency are you standing in for the Tories at the next election?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Civil Service do what Parliament instructs them to do. Parliament will have to repeal and make several new laws to cover what is being abandoned.
I also read that you believe the EU employment laws will be accepted here after Brexit. I don't trust these Tories one iota, and think anyone who believes that is naive.

Yep, you just have to hope you work for people with a conscience who don't immediately dump all the current laws and stick employers on no sick pay, ten days annual leave, no parental leave contracts who can sack you at the drop of a hat. They have already taken away legal aid while in the EU, imagine what they will do when let loose. We are very possibly about to enter some very, very dark times.

Unfortunately there are some very naive/gullible sectors of the population out there. Give 'em a bowl of dogshit and tell them it's vanilla ice cream and they'll scoff the lot and ask for seconds.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They're as happy as they can be with the damage limitation this agreement offers, which is ultimately caused by this whole nostalgic, English nationalist cluster**** - aka 'Brexit'. Apropos to the Irish however and The DUP are far from happy though. The only people who are seem to be English, Brexit backing Tories.

What constituency are you standing in for the Tories at the next election?

It's strange how you keep linking people that want Brexit to being Tory ( I'm not Tory by the way ). You also seem to have a chip on your shoulder around class. Maybe you've not done so well for yourself and so need to blame someone ? Might explain your drink problem.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's strange how you keep linking people that want Brexit to being Tory ( I'm not Tory by the way ). You also seem to have a chip on your shoulder around class. Maybe you've not done so well for yourself and so need to blame someone ? Might explain your drink problem.
If you're not a Tory you should be, with your morals.
Does he have a drink problem? If so, you Sir are the lowest of the low for bringing it up. If not, you Sir are the lowest of the low for making it up.

Shame on you. Seriously. Shame on you.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bizarre that much of the media is making Boris out to be some kind of magician. He has essentially rolled back to where we were in Dec 2017 before the DUP had their hissy fit and now thrown them under a bus

Its a huge gamble but potentially a huge prize for the Tories, such is the weakness of Corbyn they will get a majority and a free hand to destroy rights, freedoms and standards - that was the agenda of the Tory right from the start; it gives the Scots independence on a plate (the betrayal towards them is now beyond doubt) and with them gone it will be a lot harder for Labour to ever win again in England & Wales

Its a straight choice tomorrow, leave one Union to destroy our own. We were warned about this in 2016, but seem to recall it was all lumped into "Project Fear"

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Say something stupid, get called out for it, go off at a tangent

Have you been hanging around JCFG a lot lately ? :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Bizarre that much of the media is making Boris out to be some kind of magician. He has essentially rolled back to where we were in Dec 2017 before the DUP had their hissy fit and now thrown them under a bus

Its a huge gamble but potentially a huge prize for the Tories, such is the weakness of Corbyn they will get a majority and a free hand to destroy rights, freedoms and standards - that was the agenda of the Tory right from the start; it gives the Scots independence on a plate (the betrayal towards them is now beyond doubt) and with them gone it will be a lot harder for Labour to ever win again in England & Wales

Its a straight choice tomorrow, leave one Union to destroy our own. We were warned about this in 2016, but seem to recall it was all lumped into "Project Fear"

Nail on head.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

As your naive/stupid comment regarding Brexit allowing more parliamentary time for other business in the future is straight out the 'Tory party handbook of phrases to use' and the only MP's crowing about this Brexit agreement are Tory, how is my linking to them strange?

(Additionally - I don't know you personally, so you're not qualified to state whether I've done well in life or not, or whether I have a drink problem or not.)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As your naive/stupid comment regarding Brexit allowing more parliamentary time for other business in the future is straight out the 'Tory party handbook of phrases to use' and the only MP's crowing about this Brexit agreement are Tory, how is my linking to them strange?

(Additionally - I don't know you personally, so you're not qualified to state whether I've done well in life or not, or whether I have a drink problem or not.)

If he was any kind of man he would offer an apology for that. He owes you one.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I don't really get this either. He has got a deal by removing one of our red lines, which he was forced to do by him saying we would leave by November and then no deal being almost certainly ruled out by Parliament.

As soon as our red lines went a deal was very feasible.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Whatever way you voted over three years ago, I think we can probably all agree the ideal solution would be; deal gets voted down, extension until June/July 2020, GE, Tory's out, Lib Dems in, use the extension to revoke A50, Lib dems out, Labour in and a return to a Great Britain. Farage, Cameron and Johnson prosecuted for sedition.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
still bemused that anyone thinks accounting discrepencies for leave spending made it undemocratic, when the total remain spend was £6m more. (Electoral Commission numbers to save searching)

Not just accounting discrepancies, collusion on separate campaigns, somehow 5 different campaign groups all spent money with C.A., which used illegally harvested data to target people with misinformation tailored to them. That is aside from the general lies of millions better off and Turkey about to join, etc.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Just as an example, all 'no deal' Brexit work will be dumped - something that's tied up a huge percentage of civil service time.

It will be shelved, but we could still end up with no trade deal with the EU at the end of the withdrawal period.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Whatever way you voted over three years ago, I think we can probably all agree the ideal solution would be; deal gets voted down, extension until June/July 2020, GE, Tory's out, Lib Dems in, use the extension to revoke A50, Lib dems out, Labour in and a return to a Great Britain. Farage, Cameron and Johnson prosecuted for sedition.

giphy.gif

There must be a warm, reassuring fuzziness living in your world.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
NO, the benn act stated that we would have to ask for another extension if the government did not return with a deal to vote on.
The 'deal' is being voted on Saturday. Turn it down then Boris does not have to send a letter (by the 'letter' of the law) to Brussels.
No deal the result.
Desperate
And wrong :lolol:
Care to explain why?
10 mins now, still no explaination. Tic toc!
Because the Benn Act says that a letter requesting an extension must be sent if MPs have not approved a deal. Not just if no deal has been agreed between Johnson & the EU.

s1(1)(a)
1Duties in connection with the withdrawal of the UK from the European Union
(1)The condition in this subsection is that a Minister of the Crown has laid before each House of Parliament a statement that the United Kingdom has concluded an agreement with the European Union under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union and a copy of the agreement and—
(a)the agreement has been approved by resolution of the House of Commons on a motion moved by a Minister of the Crown, and

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/26/enacted/data.htm

I'm so sorry I am not immediately available to answer your questions. Still need an explaination (sic), or did Bodian's simple guide suffice ???

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Here come the conspiracy theories, and those dumb enough to believe them.

From a confirmed Remainer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here