Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Because the Benn Act says that a letter requesting an extension must be sent if MPs have not approved a deal. Not just if no deal has been agreed between Johnson & the EU.

s1(1)(a)
1Duties in connection with the withdrawal of the UK from the European Union
(1)The condition in this subsection is that a Minister of the Crown has laid before each House of Parliament a statement that the United Kingdom has concluded an agreement with the European Union under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union and a copy of the agreement and—
(a)the agreement has been approved by resolution of the House of Commons on a motion moved by a Minister of the Crown, and

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/26/enacted/data.htm

That says no such thing. If you think it does then a GE awaits, not another referendum.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I don't know why Brexit Supporters are bothering to comment on this thread any more.

It's up to the Remain lobby to make itself heard now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Such a poor deal for the U.K., basically the one all Brexiteers were spitting at a few months ago.

Won’t get through Parliament

Yeah, but that's when it was proposed by a woman. Now that it's been proposed by a bloke, it's going to be taken more seriously

#womenknowyourlimits

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Such a poor deal for the U.K., basically the one all Brexiteers were spitting at a few months ago.

And realistically the best bar May's we were ever going to be offered, so probably best if the whole idea was shelved. I voted leave, but really can see so little upside in this agreement compared to the damage to the economy, the fracturing of the Union and the potential damage to the GFA, surely most reasonable people would reach the same conclusion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

You would think so wouldn't you - but actually the feeling is different. Before, we had the remainers and hard brexiteers voting against May's deal for different reasons. Now, most of the hard brexiteers will go for Johnson's deal as it does most of what they want (and they don't really care about NI). Oddly, the more Labour say it's a worse deal, the more the hard Brexiteers will love it.

287 Tories, many of the Tories that were thrown out (Soames et al) v Labour, Lib Dems, SNP, DUP, minor parties, and some of the ex-tories. It's going to be pretty close, and I think the key to the whole thing will be how many Labour MPs vote for the deal. Which is presumably why Labour are pushing this 'worse than May' line so hard - they need to convince those Labour MPs who backed May's deal not to back Johnsons.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Get it through and then concentrate on other more pressing matters, like wealth generation, utilities infrastructure, persuading the big economies to reduce their carbon footprint.

We have all had enough........get it done FFS!

With as much politeness and respect as I can muster - you can’t possibly be this naive can you?

The deal passing will be the START of 10-20 years hard negotiation. Brexit not leaving our headlines for DECADES.

This isn’t getting anything “done”. We won’t be able to “concentrate on more pressing matters” for a very, very, very, very, very long time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
NO, the benn act stated that we would have to ask for another extension if the government did not return with a deal to vote on.
The 'deal' is being voted on Saturday. Turn it down then Boris does not have to send a letter (by the 'letter' of the law) to Brussels.
No deal the result.

:facepalm:

Loudly wrong, as per usual.

Well done for slithering back on after the previous embarrassment. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
With as much politeness and respect as I can muster - you can’t possibly be this naive can you?

The deal passing will be the START of 10-20 years hard negotiation. Brexit not leaving our headlines for DECADES.

This isn’t getting anything “done”. We won’t be able to “concentrate on more pressing matters” for a very, very, very, very, very long time.

Or EVER, I'd imagine. Lest we forget 48% of people voted for the OPPOSITE of this. Not a harder or softer version - but for it not to happen. Only 35% voted for us not to enter last time and look where that has left us. Alongside that there will be the portion of the fruitcakes and loonies who say we wouldn't have properly left under ANY deal. They aren't going away.

I think it's fair to say that anyone who thinks this will 'get it done' is DELUDED. Brexit is chained to us. Get used to it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Chris Grayling confirms he and his allies will be voting for the deal and he is very confident it will be voted through.

:nono:

Well there we have it, conclusive proof that it is a bad idea, Grayling thinks it is a good one.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Seldom do I call these sorts of events, but this time I might have cracked it.

Bojo has a deal and despite what avast minority (including myself) voted for, it is what Great Britain collectively wanted (oh and democratically so).
If Parliament reject the deal then he will be in a position to say to the electorate 'I had a deal, which is what you voted for....and Parliament has not delivered'.
The opposition can't sensibly then force him into a General Election because he would get a majority mandate for the deal.....I say this because I voted against leaving but would now vote to leave to uphold the rule of democratic law and I reckon millions countrywide would do likewise.....

What do we have from the opposition?

....SNP harping on about 'Social Justice' , whatever that is? Whilst they take £14bn a year from Westminster and still can't make ends meet.
....Labour give us 'For the many not the few' and want to put the vote back to the country whilst spending over 1 1/2 times our NHS budget on re-nationalising industries (Jeez!)
....Lib dems ...well what really do they say?
.....Greens....? Support Extinction Rebellion with their far left influences?

Get it through and then concentrate on other more pressing matters, like wealth generation, utilities infrastructure, persuading the big economies to reduce their carbon footprint.

We have all had enough........get it done FFS!

TNBA

TTF

It would be a lot easier to do all that as EU members though, one of the many reasons I want to remain.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes sure: but for the full version you'd need to trawl through my various postings on this tread. So in short: I think that Brexit is the worst development in British politics. economics and the social fabric in my lifetime. It has no redeeming features and will be a disaster. And I wish I'm wrong (again).

I'm afraid you are right.
Had time to take it in, it is a dreadful deal, just got to hope it doesn't get through on Saturday.
I can't believe how far this country has sunk over the past 10 years and now it will only get far far worse if it is voted through.
Thanks mainly to the conservative party and the legions of vermin that now infest this country and voted leave.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
NO, the benn act stated that we would have to ask for another extension if the government did not return with a deal to vote on.
The 'deal' is being voted on Saturday. Turn it down then Boris does not have to send a letter (by the 'letter' of the law) to Brussels.
No deal the result.

Wrong.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I just don't understand this Stockholm Syndrome viewpoint.

Tend to agree, the attitude is of brexit fatigue but this is so important.

As for upholding a democratic vote, it was far from that with Leave.eu overspending on the last few days on unchallenged facebook ads with the help of cambridge analytica!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here