Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 2719

Most self-employed would look at my tax payments and say 'I'm not signing that'.

#Swings&Roundabouts.

Most self employed would say, "your working for someone yet you have 52,000 posts, how on earth are you still employed".

:wink:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Jean-Claude Juncker @JunckerEU
Where there is a will, there is a #deal - we have one! It’s a fair and balanced agreement for the EU and the UK and it is testament to our commitment to find solutions. I recommend that #EUCO endorses this deal.

View attachment 116238

Boris Johnson @BorisJohnson
We’ve got a great new deal that takes back control — now Parliament should get Brexit done on Saturday so we can move on to other priorities like the cost of living, the NHS, violent crime and our environment #GetBrexitDone #TakeBackControl

View attachment 116237

But as ever, the question is... can it get through the House of Commons with (not at present) or without the DUP?
Only disaster lies ahead if the mendacious charmer can't win the vote in Saturday.

He'll need all his best sticks and carrots.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Brexit for our time. Again. I wonder how Johnson's, or 'Boris' as his sycophants like to call him, will differ from May's.............

maxresdefault.jpg

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Only disaster lies ahead if the mendacious charmer can't win the vote in Saturday.

He'll need all his best sticks and carrots.

And that's the big question. My bet is that he'll rue his confrontational approach now that he needs to win cross party support

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Most self employed would say, "your working for someone yet you have 52,000 posts, how on earth are you still employed".

:wink:

Is it your intention to occasionally come across as a nasty piece of work, or is this just a new thing?

I can't say I've noticed before, so am now wondering what I missed.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Boris has simply tweaked Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement and rebadged it as a new 'Deal'.

I don't see that anything has changed as far as the DUP are concerned re constitutional integrity of the United Kingdom.

Furthermore, Jacob Rees-Mogg told us that if the UK accept EU rules without representation then that turns us into a "vassal state". Yet that is exactly was Boris is proposing, that NI accept EU regulations in a dual customs territory.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's hard to see why the EU would grant a request for an extension now, if a deal has been agreed.

They could agree to an extension to give time for Parliament to agree, but they could just as easily refuse an extension if they feel that extra time would make no difference now. There won't be changes to this deal now, it's this deal or no deal, surely. Best thing to do would be refuse an extension and MP's can decide which of those they prefer, and we all know they hate the idea of no deal more than anything else.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If this gets through, it is going to be a Brexit that nobody likes particularly, but it is the will of the people.
What a shit show.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Boris has simply tweaked Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement and rebadged it as a new 'Deal'.

I don't see that anything has changed as far as the DUP are concerned re constitutional integrity of the United Kingdom is concerned.

Furthermore, Jacob Rees-Mogg told us that if the UK accept EU rules without representation then that turns us into a "vassal state". Yet that is exactly was Boris is proposing, that NI accept EU regulations in a dual customs territory.

Well NI would be voluntarily agreeing to align with EU rules, rather than all or part of the UK being subject to EU rules without consent.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I reckon he is threatening the ERG that there will be a referendum on it if they don't back it without one, and they fear that ends Brexit all together. Still not got the DUP on board with it. It will be close.

If he's made concessions, The EU may help him by framing it as this deal or no deal.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This could all have been over in March. Not seen the new 'deal' but, let's face it, it will be the old one with a few tweaky bits.

This has all been about the Tory party. Johnson, however, will successfully promote it as 'taking back control' when he said the opposite previously.

There will be a border down the Irish Sea, something he and the ERG were
vehemently opposed to. The rest is the May agreement and we know what they thought of that.

Still, even as a 'remainer', I want it done now. I totally oppose no deal, but hope this gets voted through.

It is only a victory for Johnson because it will be spun as such. It's a triumphant retreat without the promised spoils.

For those who insist on war analogies, this is more Dunkirk than VE Day.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's hard to see why the EU would grant a request for an extension now, if a deal has been agreed.

They could agree to an extension to give time for Parliament to agree, but they could just as easily refuse an extension if they feel that extra time would make no difference now. There won't be changes to this deal now, it's this deal or no deal, surely. Best thing to do would be refuse an extension and MP's can decide which of those they prefer, and we all know they hate the idea of no deal more than anything else.

The EU respect that UK is a Parliamentary democracy and Withdrawal Agreement needs to be passed by parliamentary majority. Contrary to how many of the right-wing press portray the EU, It is anathema for them to make our decision for us.

Therefore, until that happens it will continue to offer extensions, knowing full well that while it does so the pressure to hold a second Referendum here will grow and there's a chance we'll bin Brexit altogether.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If he's made concessions, The EU may help him by framing it as this deal or no deal.

I guess it is this deal or no deal isn't it?

That's how I think the logic of getting the DUP & others on board works.

If there is no extension, which I assume there won't be now even if one is requested, then that's the choice. A deal which you don't like? Or no deal which you hate?

That might be how this gets through.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This could all have been over in March. Not seen the new 'deal' but, let's face it, it will be the old one with a few tweaky bits.

This has all been about the Tory party. Johnson, however, will successfully promote it as 'taking back control' when he said the opposite previously.

There will be a border down the Irish Sea, something he and the ERG were
vehemently opposed to. The rest is the May agreement and we know what they thought of that.

Still, even as a 'remainer', I want it done now. I totally oppose no deal, but hope this gets voted through.

It is only a victory for Johnson because it will be spun as such. It's a triumphant retreat without the promised spoils.

For those who insist on war analogies, this is more Dunkirk than VE Day.

Why do you say you want it done? If you are a true Remainer you'll want Parliament to vote against it on Saturday because it's a crock of shite, then support moves for a Second Referendum, then campaign for Remain? Make no mistake, if we leave the EU it will be economic disaster AND take a decade to conclude trade deals that are not as good as we have at present.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Brexit deal now agreed

Like him or not, Boris has done what he said he would. Corbyn must be fuming, he knows his days as labour leader are numbered. That in itself is good news. Perhaps Labour will return to a more moderate Labour Party that actually appeals to voters once Corbyn and his extreme lefty bullying cronies have gone.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I can see them granting an extension for election purposes. Johnson could sell that. Even the BREXIT Party are on board there now.

We know where this is going.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess it is this deal or no deal isn't it?

That's how I think the logic of getting the DUP & others on board works.

If there is no extension, which I assume there won't be now even if one is requested, then that's the choice. A deal which you don't like? Or no deal which you hate?

That might be how this gets through.

Gun To Head politics.

Classy.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Like him or not, Boris has done what he said he would. Corbyn must be fuming, he knows his days as labour leader are numbered. That in itself is good news. Perhaps Labour will return to a more moderate Labour Party that actually appeals to voters once Corbyn and his extreme lefty bullying cronies have gone.

You know the deal will never be approved by parliament, much like Mays deal which was voted down three times

That and the fact there is a massive Brexit thread this could go in!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The EU respect that UK is a Parliamentary democracy and Withdrawal Agreement needs to be passed by parliamentary majority. Contrary to how many of the right-wing press portray the EU, It is anathema for them to make our decision for us.

Therefore, until that happens it will continue to offer extensions, knowing full well that while it does so the pressure to hold a second Referendum here will grow and there's a chance we'll bin Brexit altogether.

True, depends if they want a deal.

They could "play for a second vote", but they would also continue to risk no deal. Even if they get a second vote, there is no reason to believe that remain would be the outcome. I'd like to think that the EU can see that the best bet, even for them, is us out but in a good relationship with them, where they can tell themselves and everyone else that we are "as good as members", just a little different. The alternative is to have us inside the EU kicking and screaming, objecting regularly, making the EU look fractured, and wanting out at every turn.

Guess we will find out soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here