Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I read a piece on Wisbech a while back and the displeasure of the locals shown towards Polish people living there, someone commented on the piece and said, "in fairness to the locals, there is a huge cultural difference between the locals and the Polish, in that the Polish want to work"

So one person said that -so what? Therefore no one British in Wisbech works; that is truly amazing.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Sonia loses her job in the supermarket because everyone is now using self checkouts. She left school without a GCSE but that's ok because she can now become a nurse.
She will have to study to get her uni qualifications, claiming benefits because she isn't working, but that's ok. Two years later, she's done it, and then has to borrow £9K for uni fees over the next three years (which will never be paid back because her wages are so low) and finally three years later she's now a nurse.

In the meantime, qualified European nurses are leaving in their droves because they've been assaulted in the hospitals and told to go home. A friend who was pregnant was kicked in the stomach by a man.

And you evidence for this assertion that droves are being assaulted in our hospitals?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Fruit picking. Its low paid, hard work. It is mainly done by immigrants because people from the UK will not do it.

And the people of Lincolnshire voted leave by a huge margin because the pickers have the nerve to live in the area they work and pay taxes.
Not to mention keeping the local economy going.
Without them the veg will rot in the ground.
But they are not racist as they have many black friends.
Maybe the East Londoners can go there for their summer holidays and do the picking.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So one person said that -so what? Therefore no one British in Wisbech works; that is truly amazing.

So nothing, it was a comment I found funny, probably because it was a joke. Don't you ever find a joke funny and share it? It seemed a relevant joke in the context of someone concerned that we might lose British culture. Sharing of jokes is part of British culture to me, it was about British culture v Polish culture and I felt an apt time to share it.
I have some sympathy for your recent crusade to bring a more civil tone to this thread, I think one of the things that would help reduce the abuse from some, is a bit less sanctimonious bollocks from others.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
And you evidence for this assertion that droves are being assaulted in our hospitals?

More and more hospital workers and paramedics are being attacked as they work and foreign workers are being subjected to racial abuse on a daily basis.
Did not have to Google, my sister is an A&E nurse in Hastings and Eastbourne hospitals and is always telling me how bad it is especially over the weekend and it not just drunken idiots.
As I am posting this, my local news is saying that hate crime and racial abuse has risen massively in Devon & Cornwall.
Wake up and open your eyes man.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Surely a large part of our culture is our Royal Family, millions visit this country because of them, they are British through and through down the centuries, certainly no sign of any European blood in them and they are mostly very well liked by us, all that flag waving and lining the streets.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
More and more hospital workers and paramedics are being attacked as they work and foreign workers are being subjected to racial abuse on a daily basis.
Did not have to Google, my sister is an A&E nurse in Hastings and Eastbourne hospitals and is always telling me how bad it is especially over the weekend and it not just drunken idiots.
As I am posting this, my local news is saying that hate crime and racial abuse has risen massively in Devon & Cornwall.
Wake up and open your eyes man.

I have no doubt that what you say is true and it must be very hard on staff trying to help some real rabble, who have no sense of gratitude. Don't forget, my relatives are in the Old Bill, who have similar stories to tell, and even from teaching I have witnessed a distinct lowering of social standards. But leaving in droves, as the poster said -I submit that this might be an exaggeration used for effect.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
So nothing, it was a comment I found funny, probably because it was a joke. Don't you ever find a joke funny and share it? It seemed a relevant joke in the context of someone concerned that we might lose British culture. Sharing of jokes is part of British culture to me, it was about British culture v Polish culture and I felt an apt time to share it.
I have some sympathy for your recent crusade to bring a more civil tone to this thread, I think one of the things that would help reduce the abuse from some, is a bit less sanctimonious bollocks from others.

Don't be so silly. Of course I laugh at a joke, as you do. But can you be so sure that it was a joke, or a snide comment aimed to the folk in Wisbech in support of immigrant workers. We don't know - yes, it has its humorous side, as you suggest, but maybe anything but! Thanks for your sympathy, by the way (genuinely!) -I do try my best, though perhaps with only the written word to go by, as opposed to a face to face discussion, when we usually try to couch terms in moderate language, sometimes it is understandably easy to assume the worst .

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Don't be so silly. Of course I laugh at a joke, as you do. But can you be so sure that it was a joke, or a snide comment aimed to the folk in Wisbech in support of immigrant workers. We don't know - yes, it has its humorous side, as you suggest, but maybe anything but! Thanks for your sympathy, by the way (genuinely!) -I do try my best, though perhaps with only the written word to go by, as opposed to a face to face discussion, when we usually try to couch terms in moderate language, sometimes it is understandably easy to assume the worst .

I'm sorry and I really am being genuine (most unlike me), but I think a few days rest from this thread may be beneficial for you :smile:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Have you heard of Google?

Usual type of glib, cocky response I would have expected from you. Anyway, I thought I would look and the figures I saw was that 10% of nurses had left last year, or it might have been the year before - either way recently. It gave NO reason for the resignations, though it is of course quite possible that abuse, as you are presumably hinting at, might have something to do with it. When I look back to my teaching days, over the then three terms, the turnover would also have been easily 10% for various reasons, and I dare say that that would be the figure in many areas. Yes, some staff did indeed leave because they were fed up with abuse etc, but the idea that they left in droves, as the poster was saying, is just not true. or at the very least hard to believe. It makes for good headlines, admittedly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Before I retired I worked for the CPS handling the cases & witness statements of assault cases (amongst others) which is why health care workers now wear body cameras.
I also had a cousin in the police force.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I am sure it was a joke, but the people of Wisbech were the butt of that joke, being portrayed as workshy. I don't know the person that made it, but I would think it was made by someone from a nearby town. Many of my fellow Albion supporters from other Sussex towns quite like to make jokes about Crawley and it's residents, and one or two have a serious dislike for it and a genuine belief that we are all some sort of feral chav people that reside here, I find both funny usually but sometimes put up a bit of a defence, as I am certainly unashamed to be born and live here in Crawley.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have no doubt that what you say is true and it must be very hard on staff trying to help some real rabble, who have no sense of gratitude. Don't forget, my relatives are in the Old Bill, who have similar stories to tell, and even from teaching I have witnessed a distinct lowering of social standards. But leaving in droves, as the poster said -I submit that this might be an exaggeration used for effect.

Whilst the treatment the rozzers get these days ( and it's all over the TV on various channels and I know 4 of Plymouth's finest very well) it's their job to put up with all the crap they have to deal with and are trained to do it ( mental health is a totally different subject) but I am talking about nurses, doctors and paramedics here, they are often trying to save the life of someone who is spitting at them and calling them all sorts of stuff as well as go home to where you f******g come from.
And trust me, it is an extremely common occurrence.
As I am feeling benevolent tonight and to add some balance, there is a problem with pissed up eastern Europeans who, let's say, like a drop of Vodka.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Average ? Vague at best , tell me, are there 800,000 UK citizens living in Poland, or 120 ,000 UK citizens living in Romania
Regards
DF

What ??

Are you over excited by all the racist bile on the football tonight, and your other four brain cells can’t cope with it?
Look up ‘average’ in the dictionary, it will explain it to you.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Average ? Vague at best , tell me, are there 800,000 UK citizens living in Poland, or 120 ,000 UK citizens living in Romania
Regards
DF

Yet it's alright for you to go to other countries? You hypocritical piece of filth.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Usual type of glib, cocky response I would have expected from you. Anyway, I thought I would look and the figures I saw was that 10% of nurses had left last year, or it might have been the year before - either way recently. It gave NO reason for the resignations, though it is of course quite possible that abuse, as you are presumably hinting at, might have something to do with it. When I look back to my teaching days, over the then three terms, the turnover would also have been easily 10% for various reasons, and I dare say that that would be the figure in many areas. Yes, some staff did indeed leave because they were fed up with abuse etc, but the idea that they left in droves, as the poster was saying, is just not true. or at the very least hard to believe. It makes for good headlines, admittedly.

https://fullfact.org/health/eu-staff-nhs-what-has-happened-referendum/#

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here