Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't believe that this is true. I believe that the majority of people, now better informed of the details / implications of staying / leaving, wish for us to remain members of the EU.

Given a FREE vote, outside of party loyalties, I believe that the same is true of Parliament also.

I was listening to LBC at work the other morning, on the Nick Ferrari show virtually all the callers were brexiteers, " lets get this done " " I voted leave no matter if we don't have a deal " etc etc One caller said he had just returned from a cruise around the Mediterranean and he said that every evening around the dinner table, with different people, if the subject got on to Brexit, without exception " Everybody wanted to leave whatever the supposed costs "

By 10 am when James O'Brien took over, 95% of callers were saying that Brexit was " ludicrous " " ridiculous " and "insane " , the few callers who were pro-Brexit were usually shot down in flames once a debate on any part of Brexit started...… So, I'd like to think you are right and that common sense will prevail and that a majority of people will vote to remain if they get a second chance however, do not be surprised if there were quite a few who still vote leave on some obscure " principle " despite it being socio/political and financial suicide.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
So, because the penny has finally dropped for a couple more 'no deal' Brexiteers after 3.5 years, everyone else should change their minds?

Righty oh :thumbsup:

*edit* Not including BV as he was always a leaver who wanted a deal.

Now, how did I know you would appear? I suppose you saw yourself when the word "extremist" was used. And as to why people should change their minds -well those too entrenched to do so, will of course never change their minds, which works for both sides of the argument, before you start . .

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Dodgy logic. Dodgy language.
There was a deal worked out by the EU and the Government over 2 years (voted down by parliament several times)
There is the so-called 'Norway Deal' (lauded by Farage before the Referendum, maligned afterwards)
Labour claim to have a compromise deal which has not been explained

all of which are 'compromises' and all of which have been dismissed by parliament including 'Clean Break' (aka No Deal shambles) enthusiasts like you

....and yet an unscrutinised Plan by arch Leaver Johnston seems to have already found favour with you - even though we don't know the details!.... and that's why your rhetoric is rather suspect. Even your language of 'our friends and neighbours in the EU' is a cue taken from a recent Johnston 'charm offensive' after years of his undermining and slighting those 'friends and neighbours' .

If closely scrutinised, accepted and followed through - then this compromise should be welcomed and put to a People's Final Vote along with the other options. That should be the end of the matter.....

Another refurrendum should be the end of the matter? That would be the end of any prospect of any end of the matter, ever. Once we have decided that one vote doesn't count, then none will ever count and people will be fighting forever. That is not a good thing.

I've got the impression that some leavers have felt something like "let them try and get no Brexit and we will end up with no deal. Good." While some remainers have felt something like "let them try and get no deal and we will end up with no Brexit. Good."

It's time for people to realize that no deal or no Brexit are both bad options, because both will leave the country divided and angry. It isn't worth going down either of those roads, the price would be too high. We need compromise and understanding, not more conflict.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Another refurrendum should be the end of the matter? That would be the end of any prospect of any end of the matter, ever. Once we have decided that one vote doesn't count, then none will ever count and people will be fighting forever. That is not a good thing.

I've got the impression that some leavers have felt something like "let them try and get no Brexit and we will end up with no deal. Good." While some remainers have felt something like "let them try and get no deal and we will end up with no Brexit. Good."

It's time for people to realize that no deal or no Brexit are both bad options, because both will leave the country divided and angry. It isn't worth going down either of those roads, the price would be too high. We need compromise and understanding, not more conflict.

Please stop all this common senses on here.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Sorry, but despite your superficial platitudes, the ONLY reasonable way to find out if a deal/no deal/remain/pick any flavour you like, is what people still want , after 3.5 years of learning more about the pros and cons of Brexit, is a second referendum.

People in both camps will have far more knowledge at their disposal to make a more informed decision - whichever way one votes.

Even as a firm Remainer, I would accept the result of a referendum based on 3.5 years of discussion and learning, even if the result was still to Leave.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

To be honest, I think the idea of putting salient choices to people in referendums has long since been ditched by the political elite. The fact that the Tories asked a such a simple question for such a complex and difficult issue which led to campaigns (on both sides) saying what they wanted (but mostly lies) will put any sensible government off referendums for generations.

However, a public vote is the only realistic way to stop Brexit which 2019 polls indicate is the will of the people. Let’s hope the People’s vote is the last time Politician’s use referendum’s to answer such complex issues.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Now, how did I know you would appear? I suppose you saw yourself when the word "extremist" was used. And as to why people should change their minds -well those too entrenched to do so, will of course never change their minds, which works for both sides of the argument, before you start . .

It's interesting that you think that someone who believes the decision should be put to the electorate, with detailed leave deal, detailed' no deal'(what import tariffs etc) and a remain option as being an 'extremist'.

Off out to dinner, so please don't do your pathetic 'split the leave' vote while I'm out :bigwave:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Yes we do... but perhaps we need a compromise in process as well as outcome.... not simply the imposition of a 'Johnston Deal' or 'No Deal'.
That, to steal and adapt a phrase from the ultra right is 'a compromise in name only'.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Could Johnson be on the brink of a decent Brexit deal ? Seems incredible

Could Johnson be on the brink of a decent Brexit deal ? Seems incredible and would be extraordinary. I just want an end to this Circus now, either way

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If only there was a thread where we could discuss such things.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS no is the answer. He isn’t.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
The only reason we may now possibly get a deal is because A) Boris has made it quite clear we’re leaving come what may, and B) Boris has been prepared to compromise and find an acceptable way forward for all parties concerned in particular the DUP and the Irish PM. If we do leave with a deal on 31st October, it will certainly be a remarkable feat of leadership, which quite frankly will put the leader of the opposition to shame.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Although a deal would suit both parties..... on paper..... I think things will break down and Johnson will play it in a way that he blames the 27 rather than his promised ability to conjure up a deal from an impossible situation.

You only have to see how the Pound has risen in the last 2 days on the prospect of a glimmer of hope of a deal. Business WANTS a deal or revocation of the leave vote, that's what the money men want.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If only there was a thread where we could discuss such things.

Fair comment but that thread does not cover recent things in that it is just part of 2 billion comments and I guess most people ignore it now as everyone is thoroughly sick and tired of it now after 39 months

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's Brexit?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The only reason we may now possibly get a deal is because A) Boris has made it quite clear we’re leaving come what may, and B) Boris has been prepared to compromise and find an acceptable way forward for all parties concerned in particular the DUP and the Irish PM. If we do leave with a deal on 31st October, it will certainly be a remarkable feat of leadership, which quite frankly will put the leader of the opposition to shame.

It remains to be seen if the latest proposal is 'acceptable' with the DUP...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here