Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
A senior Downing Street source said: "The government will comply with the Benn Act, which only imposes a very specific narrow duty concerning Parliament's letter requesting a delay - drafted by an unknown subset of MPs and pro-EU campaigners - and which can be interpreted in different ways.

"But the government is not prevented by the Act from doing other things that cause no delay, including other communications, private and public.

"People will have to wait to see how this is reconciled. The government is making its true position on delay known privately in Europe and this will become public soon."

This quote is so misleading, Cummings (who is almost certainly the source) is either spreading misinformation or is totally oblivious to the law. Both equally probable.

The first paragraph is wrong - the Benn act is well thought out and well written, it's not open to debate what any of it means, it's not narrow and it's authorship is irrelevant. The Government can't get around it by saying it isn't clear, it is.

The second paragraph is misleading, it is correct to say that the Benn act doesn't implicitly prevent any of those actions, but the law already does. The Government can't frustrate the contents of that letter without breaking the law.

The third paragraph is absolute nonsense. Nothing more needs to be said about it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Those weren't promises exactly, they were said to be what would obviously happen. Assuming everyone was going to be reasonable, play fair and accept the result. The fact that they have decided not to do that changes nothing, the only reason they have decided not to do it is because they think it might change something. It changes nothing.

I’ve got a five year old niece who whines less and takes more responsibility for her actions than you do. Boo hoo, it’s everyone else’s fault!
Imagine knowing you in real life. Looooooong.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Nah, just a Friday night. What else are those incels gonna be doing :)

Well actually I'm off out to dinner with Mrs W and Miss W but I will avoid posting while I'm out ..... unlike [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] ! :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well actually I'm off out to dinner with Mrs W and Miss W but I will avoid posting while I'm out ..... unlike [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] ! :wink:

Don't worry [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] will more than competently cover your contributions while you're out :D

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Great edition of Any Questions on right now. Jeanette Winterson and Nigel Farage will come to blows before the program is out :)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Has the racist* ****er been knocked out :smile:

* allegedly

Nigel Farage remains standing. I assume so anyway. I had to get to a night shift before it ended. I'll have to double check on BBC Sounds.
I have always had a huge amount of respect and time for Winterson, tremendous woman but I do wish she had stopped interrupting Farage to score points with the Remain audience. I was genuinely interested in what the man had to say. I loathe him and all he stands for but we live in interesting times and I want to hear all sides of the debate.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Nigel Farage remains standing. I assume so anyway. I had to get to a night shift before it ended. I'll have to double check on BBC Sounds.
I have always had a huge amount of respect and time for Winterson, tremendous woman but I do wish she had stopped interrupting Farage to score points with the Remain audience. I was genuinely interested in what the man had to say. I loathe him and all he stands for but we live in interesting times and I want to hear all sides of the debate.

Given that it's his 34th or 35th appearance on QT, there's been plenty of opportunities!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Given that it's his 34th or 35th appearance on QT, there's been plenty of opportunities!

This was Any Questions on Radio 4, but yes point taken. I haven’t seen him talking since the shit really started hitting the fan so was interested to hear what he had to say.
It was all just mildly racist air pie and windy pudding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here