Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
? "they"... the government was mainly on the remain side. or are you saying the electorate blamed EU for their personal failure? silly voters.

No, they weren't.

Those that want to get out allowed many lies to be circulated so some voters blamed the EU.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Now that the dust seems to have settled on the Tories ridiculous attempt at a deal maybe they need to reflect is bit on their English exceptionalism.

Boris would do well to watch the 1996 film "Michael Collins" to fill in his poor knowledge of the troubles In Ireland...

Maybe a visit to Sussex would enlighten him as well? A walk on Brighton seafront and trip to the village of Hankham would suffice.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Can you clarify why it is fantasy and impossible to survive as a nation outside of the EU?

Are we so reliant upon them, and so embedded into their system?

I'll try and explain to you again, but very simply. Please don't think I am being condescending, I'm just trying to help.

It's not impossible.

We could leave the EU whilst remaining in the Customs Union, which means there would be no need for a Border In NI/Ireland.

We could leave completely and revert to WTO rules for all trade (we would be the only country in the world who traded solely on WTO) and then spend the next 50 years (according to JRM) trying to renegotiate the deals we already have, from a weaker economic position. We will also need a few years and a few £10s Billions in order to build the lorry parks, customs posts, IT infrastructure, IT systems, and recruit and train the staff to operate them. And put a border in NI/Ireland.

What is fantasy and impossible is the idea that there is a 'good deal' that has the best of both of these solutions. (Between you and me, I think that idea was designed by the Leave campaign to catch those who were too clever to fall for a stupid message on a bus).

So, as you can see, we have two choices, but no one seems to know who wants what :shrug:

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So, if we leave, we won't be able to trade with anyone as we're not in a trading bloc?

I'm sure you know the answer to this already, but I will say we have seven deals in place for the day after Brexit, including Iceland, the Faroes etc

Canada has already warned they aren't going to roll over their deal with the EU (which took 7 years to negotiate) to us. We have to start from scratch.
The USA have already warned us that they won't trade with us, if we break the Good Friday Agreement.

Trade deals take years to negotiate and we will become a small fish in a very large ocean, where the big trading blocs have all the clout.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'll try and explain to you again, but very simply. Please don't think I am being condescending, I'm just trying to help.

It's not impossible.

We could leave the EU whilst remaining in the Customs Union, which means there would be no need for a Border In NI/Ireland.

We could leave completely and revert to WTO rules for all trade (we would be the only country in the world who traded solely on WTO) and then spend the next 50 years (according to JRM) trying to renegotiate the deals we already have, from a weaker economic position. We will also need a few years and a few £10s Billions in order to build the lorry parks, customs posts, IT infrastructure, IT systems, and recruit and train the staff to operate them. And put a border in NI/Ireland.

So, as you can see, we have two choices, but no one seems to know who wants what :shrug:

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
So it's not fantasy and we can survive. Is that what you are trying to say?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'm sure you know the answer to this already, but I will say we have seven deals in place for the day after Brexit, including Iceland, the Faroes etc

Canada has already warned they aren't going to roll over their deal with the EU (which took 7 years to negotiate) to us. We have to start from scratch.
The USA have already warned us that they won't trade with us, if we break the Good Friday Agreement.

Trade deals take years to negotiate and we will become a small fish in a very large ocean, where the big trading blocs have all the clout.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No, they weren't.

Those that want to get out allowed many lies to be circulated so some voters blamed the EU.

i mean the government then of course. unless we dont count Cameron and Osborne as the government responsible for the economy at that time.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He could take Corbyn with him too!

As Corbyn was opposed to the Anglo-Irish Agreement in 1985 just like the murdered Tory MP Ian Gow was, that's maybe not a bad idea. Johnson could enlighten his ignorance by talking to people from both sides of the sectarian argument and not just listening to The DUP and his chums from school.

Yoda

English & European

You know fully well it's not fantasy and stop being so condescending. It's not a great trait to have and make you look like a prat.

What's he his trying to say is we can, but it will mean decades for harm for our economy and we will be negotiating from a weaker position for doing so. A block has far more clout over an individual Country and will always end up with the better deal over the two parties.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

I feel I may regret asking this again.... but is mere 'survival' the aspiration of the Leave lobby? Before the Referendum, didn't the lying and deluded Brexiter MPs suggest there would be a more attractive outcome?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Not true - 14 trade deals are in place for leave day and 3 others called 'Mutual Recognition Agreements' with the USA, Australia and New Zealand are also in place.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

The Taoiseach yesterday said there's basically 5 solutions to the Irish border:

1. A united Ireland.
2. The Republic of Ireland rejoins The UK.
3. The UK remains in The EU
4. The UK stays in The EEA and Customs Union.
5. The Backstop is signed up to, pending further 'negotiations' in which obviously The UK hold all the aces.

What's your preference and why, or have you got an alternative solution? Or is the alternative solution, which apparently according to English Tory MP's does exist, a secret as well?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not true - 14 trade deals are in place for leave day and 3 others called 'Mutual Recognition Agreements' with the USA, Australia and New Zealand are also in place.

Straight to the crux of the real Brexit issues :thumbsup: :lolol::lolol::lolol:

And I'm not sure that Britain agreeing to stick to standards agreed between the EU and USA, Australia and New Zealand has that much impact on any future trade deals. Still, it's taking back control, isn't it ???

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Just a question, with all the economic doom and gloom bandied about for when we leave the EU.

Did I miss it, or wasn't there a massive recession, that has resulted in government spending slashed across the board, before the referendum and the chance of us leaving the EU.

Doesn't look like we were fairing too well in, either!

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So, if we leave, we won't be able to trade with anyone as we're not in a trading bloc?
We could re-join EFTA ( we had to leave it to join the Common Market, as it is not possible to be in both ).

This immediately gives us the EFTA trade deals, which are not compulsory so we can replace them ( after we have taken the necessary years to negotiate our own ones ) if we like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here