Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
You think that's good? You are talking about remain by obstruction? Think that will heal divisions, remove uncertainty and let us get on with our lives?

To be quite frank, I don't give a flying toss about how long it may or may not take to heal divisions. I care about what is best for the country as a whole. Besides, it's mainly the more fervent Leavers that want 'out at any cost', so stop giving it large about a majority. Get real.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
you hit the nail on the head, a lot of things were said most of which were blatantly untrue.

True.

Most of the remain MPs who said they would respect the result lied.

Some even want to overthrow the government and install a government which has never been voted for by the poeple, so they can overturn something which was voted for by the people.

There is no moral high ground for the remain side.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This deal on the table now, I believe, is palatable for a majority of MPs. Will need to be demonstrated, but it seems that way.

I don't understand what your "none of the above" thing means? You mean we need to consider overturning the result of the ref? I thought you were interested in healing divisions? Sore losers are one thing, sore winners denied would be quite something else.

What will find 50%+ acceptance? The ref we held resulted in a 50%+ result. For leaving.

The argument will be over and done with when we have left. Sure there will still be things to sort out, but knowing how that will go isn't really possible while people are still playing the "should we, shouldn't we leave" game. That discussion is over, it was over as soon as the votes were cast and counted. Once we are out in practice there will no longer be a political incentive to try to make future negotiations difficult in order to facilitate the overturning of the result. Future negotiations will become current negotiations and that is when we will find out what is what, and when pragmatism and mutual interest will finally win the day, as it always should have.

The arguments won't be over when we leave they will be starting in earnest when people realise teh damage that has been done. The speech from an Independent Unionist MP today clearly stated she felt that the majority of the people in Northern Ireland don't accept it and they are the most affected. The tories are pandering to a minority based around the DUP in pretty much the same sort of sellout/con that saw Ireland dismembered in 1921.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
To be quite frank, I don't give a flying toss about how long it may or may not take to heal divisions. I care about what is best for the country as a whole. Besides, it's mainly the more fervent Leavers that want 'out at any cost', so stop giving it large about a majority. Get real.

Maybe healing divisions is what would be best for this country?

Or divisions are fine? You will decide what is best for the country. Those who disagree with you about that? Just morons who can be ignored.

Best for this country?

Get real yourself.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Or divisions are fine? You will decide what is best for the country. Those who disagree with you about that? Just morons who can be ignored.

Best for this country?

Get real yourself.

I asked you what would heal this country. I am unimpressed with your response. I suspect you have no plausible answer... but then no one has. What is annoying is your breezy belief that if we all accept your perspective then all will be well. Any dictator can make such a claim.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Best for this country?

Get real yourself.

No, divisions are not 'fine', but that's how it is, unfortunately. You can disagree all you like, along with those fellow ardent Leavers, who care more about the result of an advisory referendum, where (no matter how much you ignore/deny it), was based on Leaving with 'an easy deal', 'the best deal', etc....
Few Leavers expected (or hoped) we might crash out with a no deal.
So, yes, you and others like you are in a minority.
Bunch of fools, tbh.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
No, divisions are not 'fine', but that's how it is, unfortunately. You can disagree all you like, along with those fellow ardent Leavers, who care more about the result of an advisory referendum, where (no matter how much you ignore/deny it), was based on Leaving with 'an easy deal', 'the best deal', etc....
Few Leavers expected (or hoped) we might crash out with a no deal.
So, yes, you and others like you are in a minority.
Bunch of fools, tbh.

According to YouGov the difference between support or oppose no deal on 4th September was about 6%. & The question never asked whether, if it was no deal or remain what would they choose.

44% had said they opposed No Deal, but it would be reasonable to assume that some of those would be leavers who would chose no deal over remain despite their opposition to no deal.

38% had said they support No Deal, none of those would chose Remain over No Deal, since they support no deal.

It would take a proportion equal to 3%+ of those who said they oppose No Deal to also feel that they would prefer No Deal to No Brexit to mean that actually more people support No Deal than oppose it.

Since not every leave voter would have said that they support No Deal, but every remain supporter would have said that they oppose No Deal, then there is a very good chance, actually, that more people support No Deal than oppose it.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I asked you what would heal this country. I am unimpressed with your response. I suspect you have no plausible answer... but then no one has. What is annoying is your breezy belief that if we all accept your perspective then all will be well. Any dictator can make such a claim.

No, I am suggesting that if we all accept the result of the biggest democratic exercise in this countries history then all will be better than it will be if we all accept the demands of the minority who took part in that democratic exercise but refuse to accept the result after the fact.

Dictators ignore democratic votes, take a look in the mirror for more information.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No, I am suggesting that if we all accept the result of the biggest democratic exercise in this countries history then all will be better than it will be if we all accept the demands of the minority who took part in that democratic exercise but refuse to accept the result after the fact.

Dictators ignore democratic votes, take a look in the mirror for more information.

More than happy to, as long as when it’s a complete mess leavers take all the blame.

Which they won’t of course, it will be Someone else’s fault.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
According to YouGov the difference between support or oppose no deal on 4th September was about 6%. & The question never asked whether, if it was no deal or remain what would they choose.

44% had said they opposed No Deal, but it would be reasonable to assume that some of those would be leavers who would chose no deal over remain despite their opposition to no deal.

38% had said they support No Deal, none of those would chose Remain over No Deal, since they support no deal.

It would take a proportion equal to 3%+ of those who said they oppose No Deal to also feel that they would prefer No Deal to No Brexit to mean that actually more people support No Deal than oppose it.

Since not every leave voter would have said that they support No Deal, but every remain supporter would have said that they oppose No Deal, then there is a very good chance, actually, that more people support No Deal than oppose it.

Utter shite. I really don't know why I bother with folk with your mindset.

I guess it's because I actually care about this country, rather than the result of an advisory referendum nearly 4 years ago.
Go fill your (mouldy) boots.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Utter shite. I really don't know why I bother with folk with your mindset.

I guess it's because I actually care about this country, rather than the result of an advisory referendum nearly 4 years ago.
Go fill your (mouldy) boots.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So here's [MENTION=34671]Michael[/MENTION]gove standing next to Luftwaffe band on Day of German Unity, telling German audience that decision to leave EU on par with fall of Berlin Wall and East Germans' quest for freedom. Shouts from audience: "Nonsense"

Via twitter

Lols

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
True.

Most of the remain MPs who said they would respect the result lied.

Some even want to overthrow the government and install a government which has never been voted for by the poeple, so they can overturn something which was voted for by the people.

There is no moral high ground for the remain side.

Unfortunately a lot of MPs were misled by believing the hype and in particular a lot of Labour mps who were instructed to do so by Corbyn. Most of them realise and accept they made a mistake unlike a lot of leavers

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
So here's [MENTION=34671]Michael[/MENTION]gove standing next to Luftwaffe band on Day of German Unity, telling German audience that decision to leave EU on par with fall of Berlin Wall and East Germans' quest for freedom. Shouts from audience: "Nonsense"

Via twitter

Lols

Cringeworthy in the extreme.

Jeez...what is wrong with people?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

It was advisory.
Fact.
It’s not good for the country.
Over three years of trying to sort it out have failed.
Because it is unworkable.
It should be revoked.
Get over it.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It was advisory.
Fact.
It’s not good for the country.
Over three years of trying to sort it out have failed.
Because it is unworkable.
It should be revoked.
Get over it.

The way you talk reminds me of someone.

Orange face, yellow hair, what's his name...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Via twitter

Lols

Like to know what exactly happened, since the speech has now been published and to be honest he didn't compare the two directly, but....

The speech was somewhat about "bringing countries together" and the UK's close relationship with Germany. He then ended it (quite oddly) with a bit about Brexit, starting with "Britain made its democratic decision..".

His speech was congratulated by an attendee "as a masterpiece of hypocritical bullsh*t" to his face.". That was from a Lib Dem who has reported as such on Twitter.

Edit: Reading more from people who there, I think the story is probably not true.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here