Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I know both sides might fall foul of Selective Memory Syndrome but as we totter towards the edge of a cliff largely because of the Irish border issue, I'm trying to recall anyone in the 2016 campaign spending a second yet alone a minute on this. Did no-one see this coming? I can see why the Brexit camp might have been happy for this to escape the radar, but surely someone from the Remain camp might have anticipated such an enormous issue?

Oh yes - Boris himself said it wouldn't be a problem, as it would leave arrangements on the border 'absolutely unchanged'. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35692452

Blair and Major also explained the problems prior to the referendum https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/09/tony-blair-and-john-major-brexit-would-close-irish-border

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Problem - My car engine is broken.
Solution: I'll buy another car with a broken engine and no wheels.

Problem solved according to the clown PM

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
The problem is caused by the each side trying to totally vanquish the other completely.

I fully believe that 48%/52% of the vote does not give 100% of the say.

A compromise is the only long term solution.

Leave the EU, re-join EFTA, stay in the CU with paid for single market access until such a time ( 10 years +) as a Switzerland type deal has been negotiated, or we decide to stick with the EEA access arrangement.

Bad losers, bad winners, and 'winner takes all' are the 3 real 'enemies of the people'.

Fantastic post! If leave lost with 48% of the vote there would be large proportion (including Farage himself) who wouldn't let that result lie, so you simply cannot expect remain to either (especially with no deal just around the corner). Extremists on both sides have taken over the asylum!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Unless I'm mistaken on something (which I could be), this proposed deal is a stroke of genius.

The assumption has always been that you need to come up with something the EU would accept, and let's face it, they won't accept anything which consitutes us really leaving the EU. But there has always been at least some chance of the HoC accepting something, so I assume this deal has been drawn up with the HoC in mind, the EU can be put to one side for a moment.

All Johnson has to do is put this deal to the HoC, and it looks like it would pass. That would have two important effects. 1) The EU can no longer say that the obstacle to a deal is the HoC not agreeing to anything, it nullifies their main excuse and it puts massive pressure on them to accept the deal, but much more importantly, if I'm not mistaken, a vote in the HoC in favor of a deal kills the Benn bill. Johnson will no longer have to write to the EU and ask for an extension.

Which means, come the 20th of October, the pressure will be on the EU to move, since the HoC have finally come to agreement. AND, we will be 11 days from no deal without any prospect of any extension beyond that date.

Checkmate.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Unless I'm mistaken on something (which I could be), this proposed deal is a stroke of genius.

The assumption has always been that you need to come up with something the EU would accept, and let's face it, they won't accept anything which consitutes us really leaving the EU. But there has always been at least some chance of the HoC accepting something, so I assume this deal has been drawn up with the HoC in mind, the EU can be put to one side for a moment.

All Johnson has to do is put this deal to the HoC, and it looks like it would pass. That would have two important effects. 1) The EU can no longer say that the obstacle to a deal is the HoC not agreeing to anything, it nullifies their main excuse and it puts massive pressure on them to accept the deal, but much more importantly, if I'm not mistaken, a vote in the HoC in favor of a deal kills the Benn bill. Johnson will no longer have to write to the EU and ask for an extension.

Which means, come the 20th of October, the pressure will be on the EU to move, since the HoC have finally come to agreement. AND, we will be 11 days from no deal without any prospect of any extension beyond that date.

Checkmate.

What makes you think HoC will back it?

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Dear Jacob

I saw this and thought of you.

20191003_123553.jpg

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
if I'm not mistaken, a vote in the HoC in favor of a deal kills the Benn bill. Johnson will no longer have to write to the EU and ask for an extension

I think you are mistaken as the Benn bill specifically relates to an agreement concluded between the UK and the EU and in your example this wouldn't have happend.

Way to easy otherwise.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What makes you think HoC will back it?

Well everything I've been hearing has been that it would probably pass.

There was a vote a while back on an amendment which basically was for the previous WA, but with the backstop replaced with alternative arrangements. It passed by 16 votes (the only thing so far to have passed).

The DUP have said they would support this new deal, the ERG people have almost all got behind it. Many Labour MP's previously supported a deal and, while they would be under pressure from the leadership to oppose anything put forward, many of them are very concerned about the fact that their consituencies voted to leave and don't want to be seen as denying the ref result, causing a delay, or causing no deal, especially with an election right around the corner.

It's not certain, but I think everyone want's this over with, in a way which doesn't fly in the face of the refurendum result or result in no deal. No guarantees but I can see this passing, especially having heard the debate earlier today and the amount of support for the proposals from all sides.

There aren't really any decent excuses left to oppose this deal and still look like you want to respect the ref result, and a vote for it would encourage the EU to make this work so we can all get on with our lives. Anyone who fails to vote for this deal will have a tough time arguing that they would have ever voted for anything.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think you are mistaken as the Benn bill specifically relates to an agreement concluded between the UK and the EU and in your example this wouldn't have happend.

Way to easy otherwise.

"what does it say?"

"Mr Johnson will have until 19 October to either pass a deal in Parliament or get MPs to approve a no-deal Brexit."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49580500

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
As I understand it, it says this right at the top:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/26/enacted/data.htm

Yep unfortunately looks like you are right. Still pressure on the EU to accept the deal if it get's passed in the HoC though.

If Johnson (or someone else) has to write to the EU asking for an extension, I hope he attaches a letter to it stating something to the effect of:

"We want an extension for the express purpose of removing the backstop. That is what this extension is to be for, that is the only thing we will use the time for. Please let us know if you want to accept this requested extension".

Would at least make it difficult for them to accept, especially if the HoC have approved a deal and it's basically the EU who need to move not us.

Interesting few weeks ahead.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I see we have stopped the export of some drugs because of the threat that we won't be able to get the amount we need from the EU under no deal.
Drugs companies have been told not to hike up the price of the drugs or they will be in 'serious trouble'
Just the start of it.
Shame we can't prove how we voted, remainers should be at the front of the queue then I could get any medicine I want and I can step over the leavers as I leave the chemist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here