Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I have a question as I really don't understand

So the Irish are saying any idea of customs checks between Ireland and NI is a 'no go' but if we leave with no deal then surely there will be a hard border between the 2 countries. So why are they playing hard ball? Do they really think Boris is bluffing, is that all it is?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

So the Irish are saying any idea of customs checks between Ireland and NI is a 'no go' but if we leave with no deal then surely there will be a hard border between the 2 countries. So why are they playing hard ball? Do they really think Boris is bluffing, is that all it is?

a good question, one possibly answered in this article from as long ago as yesturday. this isnt the first time this has been raised, the EU come up with a workable solution some time ago. maybe the Irish havent been fully updated on the ongoing non-negotiations and annoyed by that.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Because ultimately we'll still be the ones creating a course of action either way that is in breach of our obligations under an international peace agreement lodged at The UN.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So Mr Johnson has put a revised Brexit plan to the EU who are already saying its likley to be not acceptable so a no deal Brexit some how bypassing the law is the most likley outcome how will that affect the future trade deal negotiations will they still go ahead as planned?

That is not what Jean Claude Juncker said on the news. He said it gives an area for discussion.room for negotiations which would suggest that they wont just dismiss it but will discuss the agreement to then make a decision..

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
A rather good opening paragraph from our friends at The Guardian:

For the Conservative party’s Manchester conference, the slogan was “Get Brexit done”. Yet again, Boris Johnson swears blind he’s going to withdraw on schedule. A promise an unspecified number of single mothers have heard before.

Jan 30, 2008
Why should we just 'accept' a result on a vote that was based in lies and pure fantasy?! You'll be regretting your decision when things go tits up. By the way, we will not be leaving on 31st of October, or ever. Remember, it is now against the law to leave without a deal and that deal looks highly unlikely.

I've read so many of your ramblings and find them to be inline with most of the leave rhetoric. All crap and no substance. Particularly when the so called benefits of leaving are never written or stated within your responses because it is all complete fantasy, as I and many others have said.

Tell me again, what are the true benefits, based on facts, on leaving the EU?
We don't have to bail out the EU with our money, we control who enters the country, we get our own trade deals , # taking back control , no point in crying over over the referendum result time to move on , are you ready for Brexit you should be ???
regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008
Bad stats, stat. :D

Since when have the millions of under 18's ever been allowed to vote.

Means nothing.

These are the true facts and figures.
and there you have it Mouldy Politicians working on an agenda, some of them wont be in Parliament for much longer, reap what you sow
regards
DF

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Johnston's nemisis.......

30724541_1719481781442929_7121156415258401453_n.jpg

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
That is not what Jean Claude Juncker said on the news. He said it gives an area for discussion.room for negotiations which would suggest that they wont just dismiss it but will discuss the agreement to then make a decision..

The news report I have just listened to was saying the EU will ensure that the lines of negotiations remain open so that they can not be blamed for shutting talks down and as a result being blamed for a no deal Brexit

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is great stuff.
Liz Truss has just admitted that she has no idea what the plan is and neither do the cabinet.
Her job? International trade secretary.
"I don't need to know what the deal is" she said.
And leave mugs fall for this, it a laughable farce.
Until it's announced, I think they want it rejected deliberately.
What's going to happen if the cabinet don't like it?

Which is fascinating, because Boris may have broken Cabinet rules again.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Because they aren't going to fall for "this isn't the EU's fault" rubbish.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I'm thinking tonight, this has a small likelihood of happening. The EU will factor in whether it will pass Parliament which it could just.

It is a f### NI type solution though. The DUP isn't NI.

Peston however saying not quite dead on arrival but almost.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-10-02...t-dead-but-will-be-soon-writes-robert-peston/

Gareth Snell (very pro-deal Labour MP) has said his and Ruth Smeeth's (another pro-deal Labour MP) votes for a deal if it makes it to Parliament are not guaranteed.

I think the deal is still far too hard to get enough Remain/Soft Brexit MPs onside, before you even get into the Irish Border.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
nice diagram. steps 3 to 5 are not necessary, step 6 is for the RoI to determine whether or not they believe the paperwork is in order. i wonder how different this is in practice to present process.

At the end of the day its customs checks on the Island of Ireland, its a breach of the GFA. Something the UK committed it would never do

Then there's the DUP veto - an absolute joke

It is a starting point, but little time as BJ has spent weeks engaging in pointless posturing

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just watching various European leaders/officials/politicians on telly - how peed off with Johnson are they?? No chance the EU will accept this fudge, which is presumably his aim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here