Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be honest it's so fvcked up now it's difficult to know what to think ! I'm more and more heading towards the no deal side just to get it done .... government and MPs ( of all parties ) have been utter failures .... and these are the people we have running the country ?? As for the uber wealthy, couldn't give a toss about them .... if they make a few billion it doesn't change what I'm earning or doing in my life - I'm all for 'leveling the playing field' but lets move in to reality .... it is NEVER going to happen Brexit or no Brexit.

No Deal will lead to over a decade of trying to get trade deals, so it won't just get it done. You will also get political parties campaigning to join EFTA or the EEA.

This is only the Withdrawal Agreement so only the beginning, not the end.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
To be honest it's so fvcked up now it's difficult to know what to think ! I'm more and more heading towards the no deal side just to get it done .... government and MPs ( of all parties ) have been utter failures .... and these are the people we have running the country ?? As for the uber wealthy, couldn't give a toss about them .... if they make a few billion it doesn't change what I'm earning or doing in my life - I'm all for 'leveling the playing field' but lets move in to reality .... it is NEVER going to happen Brexit or no Brexit.

You're not alone. The cynic in me however thinks this has been engineered to some degree so that the public get so fed up they would tolerate it. As has been stated though, it would only to lead to more fukkedupness.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
No Deal will lead to over a decade of trying to get trade deals, so it won't just get it done. You will also get political parties campaigning to join EFTA or the EEA.

This is only the Withdrawal Agreement so only the beginning, not the end.

Or to put it another way, there is no such thing as a no-deal Brexit. If we are going to leave then the choice is between reaching agreement before we do or starting from near-scratch immediately after. As far as I can see the no-dealers want us to start talking at our moment of greatest weakness and to carry on doing so, with our backs uncomfortably close to the wall, for many years after.

All so they can say 'we got Brexit done'. They're entitled to their view of course but it doesn't seem very patriotic to me.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Listening to Boris on the Andrew Marr show... he has used the world surrender at least 30 times in about 8 mins. I thought subliminal advertising had been stopped many years ago.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

You, who used to speak sense about this and always wanted a deal is now 'more and more heading towards the no deal side just to get it done .... '

Even though you understand the situation sufficiently to know that it certainly won't get anything 'done' and will simply be the start of the longest set of negotiations Britain has ever undertaken (50 years if you believe JRM), from the weakest possible negotiating position, while the economy continues being throttled and the nation continues to suffer, particularly those who can afford suffer least.

But you haven't been played, and get upset at the very idea that someone may think you have ???

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
same as world war one , the rich elite with a lot to gain are playing on the nationalism of the working class.

Quite - And then playing the working classes by pointing the finger at that very same 'elite'. You can see the promotion of right wing accounts all across social media, it's all being funded by those with a lot to gain from a no deal brexit....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I had a curry last night, with some old friends, when one of them told this curry story, which I found quite amusing.

In 2011, the Coalition Government, led by the Conservatives, introduced new immigration legislation, that led to a shortage of curry chefs from non-EEA areas.

So, the same year, Eric (poppadom) Pickles, (the Goverment's expert on all foodstuffs :wink:), spent £1.75M, introducing 70 'Curry Chef Apprenticeships' to train up British chefs. A grand total of 16 people applied for the courses. (A suggestion bought up again in 2017 by Robert Goodwill, the then immigration minister, before it was slapped down).

So in 2016, still suffering the shortages Priti Pattel blamed EU immigration for us not being able to allow more curry chefs from outside the EU.

Then, astoundingly, the week before last the same Priti Pattel introduced 'Vindaloo Visas' to allow more chefs from non-EEA areas to emigrate to Britain to fulfil the shortage. This, whilst still in the aforementioned EU that she claimed was causing the problems and also reversing elements of the original legislation bought in by her party a few years earlier.

Maybe we are just practising for when we get even more control over immigration :facepalm:

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Quite - And then playing the working classes by pointing the finger at that very same 'elite'. You can see the promotion of right wing accounts all across social media, it's all being funded by those with a lot to gain from a no deal brexit....

Too many people think an old Etonian, Oxford educated, Latin speaking, Savile Row suit wearing, double barrelled named, old monied, son of a Lord, Tory cabinet minister like Rees-Mogg is on their side simply because he say he's anti 'establishment' when he's the very essence of it. It's exactly the same with Johnson - there are people from London on housing benefit, priced out of their home city because of policies he voted for as an MP, who would have voted for him as London Mayor because 'he's alright/he's a laugh' and voted for Brexit and think a no deal scenario is in their interest, because they now think it's what they voted for and people like Johnson and Rees-Mogg say it will be okay and they've got posh accents, so they believe them. The pup got sold though and the con-trick has worked a treat.

If nothing else with the disaster of no deal, this populist garbage being spouted by these disaster capitalists will be exposed. It'll be very chastening for the 'patriots' who 'believe in Britain' too.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If nothing else with the disaster of no deal, this populist garbage being spouted by these disaster capitalists will be exposed. It'll be very chastening for the 'patriots' who 'believe in Britain' too.

But it won't be - because they'll just point the finger elsewhere, and the sheep will believe them. Again.

Yoda

English & European
if they make a few billion it doesn't change what I'm earning or doing in my life

But it won't in realistic values. If they doe crash us out and the £ falls making their chums their billions. Costs will be rising for you while your earnings are not changing.

It will in effect feel like a pay cut, causing yourself to cut back on things, changing what you do with your life.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But it won't in realistic values. If they doe crash us out and the £ falls making their chums their billions. Costs will be rising for you while your earnings are not changing.

It will in effect feel like a pay cut, causing yourself to cut back on things, changing what you do with your life.
You wouldn't have thought the effects of a downward spiralling economy would need explaining.

As usual turkeys and Christmas springs to mind.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Or to put it another way, there is no such thing as a no-deal Brexit. If we are going to leave then the choice is between reaching agreement before we do or starting from near-scratch immediately after. As far as I can see the no-dealers want us to start talking at our moment of greatest weakness and to carry on doing so, with our backs uncomfortably close to the wall, for many years after.

All so they can say 'we got Brexit done'. They're entitled to their view of course but it doesn't seem very patriotic to me.

Apologies for going to the level of personal experience but I think it’s relevant. Managing EU projects takes about 30% of my time, the rest is spent developing and running other services in the UK . If we leave with a deal we will proceed normally from the leave date and have time to plan the long-term position for these and I can do this within the 30%. No-deal would totally flip the percentage around as I would be liaising with the government, the EC; having to fly people home, funding will be frozen etc; terminating employment contracts. It would take most of my time over the coming year to unravel the mess and in spite of months of no-deal contingency planning all the other work I do would be put on hold. This is not an isolated case so imagine this duplicated all around the UK. By no definition is this a clean break. One of the biggest myths, and cons, of all is the notion of no-deal being the simplest option.

Although I voted remain I would settle for us leaving in an orderly fashion with a deal. Most remain supporters I know have been ready for compromise for a while but it seems that wishing anything other than some new cold war is tantamount to treason.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I see the #teameu theme for today is the liberal left berating and patronising the gullible thickies at the bottom for not voting for the status quo while banging on about how they are too stupid to know they are being manipulated by the rich elites.... George Osborne, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley et al thank you for your ongoing work ... :facepalm::rolleyes::lolol:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I see the #teameu theme for today is the liberal left berating and patronising the gullible thickies at the bottom for not voting for the status quo while banging on about how they are too stupid to know they are being manipulated by the rich elites.... George Osborne, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley et al thank you for your ongoing work ... :facepalm::rolleyes::lolol:

Are you saying that they know they're being manipulated by the rich elites? If so, that would be very stupid, eh?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If Boris applies for an extension, to obtain this does it require a unanimous vote or majority for it to be given.

It has to be all 27 member states that agree to it ….. rumours being that Macron will reject it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here