Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
At some point in the uproar yesterday, my wife told me that Geoffrey Cox had effectively admitted the referendum wasn't mandatory, before blustering on. I can't find anything about this - did anyone else hear or see it, or did she imagine it?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Indeed ... the current 'outrage' about the PM's inflammatory choice of words would be a bit more convincing if his critics hadn't contributed to the intemperate level of debate. See Dictator, coup, betrayal, decapitate (Boris), racist as well as drawing comparisons with the Nazis and of course the official Lib Dem Bollox to Brexit campaign. Hypocrisy award of the day must go to Labour MP Emma Hardy who was so appalled at Geoffrey Cox's comments re “when did you stop beating your wife”. She previously used exactly the same phrase herself ..

your question is akin to “when did you stop beating your wife”
I’ll not answer it.

— Emma Hardy MP (@EmmaHardyMP) June 29, 2016

https://twitter.com/EmmaHardyMP/status/748206051636420608?ref_src=tws rc^tfw

Must admit I thought that things went so low yesterday that no one on here would stoop to whataboutory quotes at a time like this, but I guess there's always one...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What evidence leads you to that conclusion?

Personally I believe we would be almost exactly where we are today.

Totally agree. It's clear that there needed to be some sort of agreement that met the approval of the entire House; to do that required some compromise. May offered little in the way of compromise until it was too late but Johnson, it's clear, offers none at all and has actually driven long-standing Tories out of the party. I'm not sure why you think we'd be out

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Hypothetical question NSCers and apologies if its been asked on here before.

But where would this country be today if Boris Johnson had succeeded David Cameron immediately instead of Mrs May?

I think out of Europe with a good deal for the UK, a strong pound and the economy moving forward.

(And obviously Sir Geoffrey Boycott would still be plain old Mr Boycott)

Out of interest, in what way do you think the deal that Johnson would have got, would have differed to the one that May put forward ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I was wrong, I thought it would be Mouldy.

The whataboutism really doesn't hold any water. This is the Prime Minister for God's sake.

Indeed ... the current 'outrage' about the PM's inflammatory choice of words would be a bit more convincing if his critics hadn't contributed to the intemperate level of debate. See Dictator, coup, betrayal, decapitate (Boris), racist as well as drawing comparisons with the Nazis and of course the official Lib Dem Bollox to Brexit campaign. Hypocrisy award of the day must go to Labour MP Emma Hardy who was so appalled at Geoffrey Cox's comments re “when did you stop beating your wife”. She previously used exactly the same phrase herself ..

your question is akin to “when did you stop beating your wife”
I’ll not answer it.

— Emma Hardy MP (@EmmaHardyMP) June 29, 2016

https://twitter.com/EmmaHardyMP/status/748206051636420608?ref_src=tws rc^tfw

Must admit I thought that things went so low yesterday that no one on here would stoop to whataboutory quotes at a time like this, but I guess there's always one...

I wonder who the first NSC poster will be to back Johnson's diatribe last night ???

Sadly, I'm not as surprised as yourselves :nono:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

But where would this country be today if Boris Johnson had succeeded David Cameron immediately instead of Mrs May?

I think out of Europe with a good deal for the UK, a strong pound and the economy moving forward.

He's already fired 24 Tory MPs, he's lost another half dozen or so to the opposition benches - he's hardly a unifying figure in his own party. If he'd succeeded Cameron, rather than just lose a bit of their majority, I genuinely think he'd have lost the 2017 election. If he had, you might be right, we might have left the EU but with a customs union and single market alignment, but I guess we'll never know.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
No recess for Tory party piss-up next week.

Boris has had his pants taken down and been given a good thrashing :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
How is Prometheus this morning?

People weren’t laughing with him .... they were laughing at him

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Each to their own. I reckon Johnson, in a few short weeks, has become the worst PM since Lord North who lost America. :shrug:
I can sympathise the other day I lost my car keys.

Lord North might want to look under a tea towel, in the kitchen.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Boris has had his pants taken down and been given a good thrashing :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

If the Tories has adopted a more conciliatory tone and give some sort of apology there might have been goodwill from the opposition, instead this where we are now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1177195591564238848[/TWEET]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

After a chastening 11-0 defeat at the Supreme Court, you'd have hoped to minimise the damage on aggregate even if the tie was lost, but to then be 7-0 down at home too is really bad news

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You seem to be suggesting this absolute cluster**** is Terry May's fault.

Strange times indeed.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'm assuming everyone is in favour of honouring the memory of Jacques Chirac by leaving? It is what he wouldn't have wanted.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm assuming everyone is in favour of honouring the memory of Jacques Chirac by leaving? It is what he wouldn't have wanted.

Boris has already paid his tribute before he even died as yon Chirac loved a little bit of corruption.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

His own sister has spoken out, saying he’s under tremendous pressure from all the billions invested in shorting the pound with a No Deal!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here