Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Can you explain how the EU rules would stop the construction of social housing? As far as I can work out, the only issue the EU would have with it would be if it pushed Swedens debt ratio way up, above the agreed limits. But I think this could be argued as different to other sovereign debt as it creates assets that recover the debt, rather than just being pure expenditure.

EU laws regarding public procurement & competition would be one of the obstacles that would make an operation of similar size too expensive and complicated.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Land, Sea, Air If you recognise each others regulatory standards you don't have to carry out regulatory standard checks at the border so diverging from EU standards wouldn't cause the issues you suggested :shrug:

What borders and what trade deals, anywhere in the world, do what you say can happen in regards to the Irish border?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
EU laws regarding public procurement & competition would be one of the obstacles that would make an operation of similar size too expensive and complicated.

You originally said:

I know for certain that Sweden's "million program" could not happen under EU jurisdiction.

Now you are saying that you think it would not be able to happen as EU jurisdiction would be an obstacle, although presumably EU jurisdiction would allow such a scheme?

At what point then does a public scheme become cost prohibitive?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The infrastructure down here in North Kent is at breaking point as it is. One event trashes everything.

M2 and M20 both shut between 2-4 junctions Friday night. It was absolute carnage. It added 4 hours to our journey (and we used local knowledge to mitigate against the worst of it).

Regularly the Thanet Way to Brenley roundabout is gridlocked all the way back to Whitstable with weekend day trippers trying to get back to London.

An accident closing the A2 from Brenley to Canterbury last year had cars gridlocked on the country cut through down Denstroud Lane for hours.

We have massive new housing projects going on that will double the population of Faversham over the next 10 years, and this itself will cause massive problems.

I never drive to Brighton round the M26, 25, 23 route anymore because an hour or more can easily be added to my journey unexpectedly. I used to drive to Withdean in an hour, and to Falmer in an hour and fifteen. But roadworks, accidents and heavy traffic have meant that it can take more than 2 hours without notice, so I leave a bit earlier and cut across country now - quickest trip an hour and 50 but so much more pleasant, and plannable.

Any further faffing at Dover after Brexit will absolute screw us down here for sure. No question.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sorry to do this too the right minded folk on this thread.
But you're going to have to explain to the jingoist myopic idiots on here why this is bollox, of the highest order:-

[tweet]1175171667418669056[/tweet]

I'm off to work.

As has been mentioned, just ignore minor details like the legacy of the Cod Wars and the Icelandic exclusion area, that 5 Scottish families basically run a cartel and control things and that the administration and allocation of the quotas is done by Whitehall in favour of those families at the expense of smaller boats elsewhere etc. It's perfectly simple - after Brexit everything in the English Channel and the North Sea becomes British, Johnny Foreigner fishermen can clear off because Britannia Rules the Waves, quotas and attempts at sustainability will be a thing of the past, but British fisherman will still have exactly the same access to places like Skagen and Boulogne-sur-Mer to sell everything they catch into The EU because they're British.

The annual turnover of Harrods is bigger than the UK fishing industry and more people are employed in Grimsby processing fish for consumption across The EU than psychically fish there, but even if they all lose their jobs as a result none of that matters because after Brexit places like Grimsby, Ramsgate and Hastings - they're going to be just like Monte Carlo, but the millionaires will be well 'ard.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The infrastructure down here in North Kent is at breaking point as it is. One event trashes everything.

M2 and M20 both shut between 2-4 junctions Friday night. It was absolute carnage. It added 4 hours to our journey (and we used local knowledge to mitigate against the worst of it).

Regularly the Thanet Way to Brenley roundabout is gridlocked all the way back to Whitstable with weekend day trippers trying to get back to London.

An accident closing the A2 from Brenley to Canterbury last year had cars gridlocked on the country cut through down Denstroud Lane for hours.

We have massive new housing projects goin on that will double the population of Faversham over the next 10 years, and this itself will cause massive problems.

I never drive to Brighton round the M26, 25, 23 route anymore because an hour or more can easily be added to my journey unexpectedly. I used to drive to Withdean in an hour, and to Falmer in an hour and fifteen. But roadworks, accidents and heavy traffic have meant that it can take more than 2 hours without notice, so I leave a bit earlier and cut across country now - quickest trip an hour and 50 but so much more pleasant, and plannable.

Any further faffing at Dover after Brexit will absolute screw us down here for sure. No question.

The East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust is booking hotel rooms for staff if a no deal Brexit happens so they can get to work, so you'll all be fine. From November 1st and that £350m a week for The NHS kicking in, believe in Britain and let's fund Travelodge in Maidstone instead. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust is booking hotel rooms for staff if a no deal Brexit happens so they can get to work, so you'll all be fine. From November 1st and that £350m a week for The NHS kicking in, believe in Britain and let's fund Travelodge in Maidstone instead. :thumbsup:

I had been toying with applying for a job at the new medical school in Canterbury, but in the end I didn't bother. Although I know one of the lead people, it all seems to be a bit chaotic.....but I actually work in London, and travel by train, so I will be fine. Especially if I retire soon.....:lolol:

brenley.jpg

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
As has been mentioned, just ignore minor details like the legacy of the Cod Wars and the Icelandic exclusion area, that 5 Scottish families basically run a cartel and control things and that the administration and allocation of the quotas is done by Whitehall in favour of those families at the expense of smaller boats elsewhere etc. It's perfectly simple - after Brexit everything in the English Channel and the North Sea becomes British, Johnny Foreigner fishermen can clear off because Britannia Rules the Waves, quotas and attempts at sustainability will be a thing of the past, but British fisherman will still have exactly the same access to places like Skagen and Boulogne-sur-Mer to sell everything they catch into The EU because they're British.

The annual turnover of Harrods is bigger than the UK fishing industry and more people are employed in Grimsby processing fish for consumption across The EU than psychically fish there, but even if they all lose their jobs as a result none of that matters because after Brexit places like Grimsby, Ramsgate and Hastings - they're going to be just like Monte Carlo, but the millionaires will be well 'ard.

People laugh about the Cod wars, which we actually lost, but when youre on a ship about to be rammed, knowing that your life expectancy in the sea was three minutes, it was fecking terrifying.
We were rammed by Thor and limped home with the front of our frigate missing haha

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

All those rules would require is that the costs of building are put out to tender, wouldn't it?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
People laugh about the Cod wars, which we actually lost, but when youre on a ship about to be rammed, knowing that your life expectancy in the sea was three minutes, it was fecking terrifying.
We were rammed by Thor and limped home with the front of our frigate missing haha

Whether they're from Husavik or Hastings, fishermen are, as a general law of thumb, a complete and utter law unto themselves and not to be messed with at land or sea - they're very hard and very entitled. I could tell you some stories about them from drinking in Hastings Old Town back in the day. You could sum it up by the fact that William Parker School, formerly Hastings Grammar School (which has an impressive list of famous alumnus including England footballers and cricket players) had a strict uniform policy, but boys who were the sons of fisherman used to be allowed to wear ear rings if they wished.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Whether they're from Husavik or Hastings, fishermen are, as a general law of thumb, a complete and utter law unto themselves and not to be messed with at land or sea - they're very hard and very entitled. I could tell you some stories about them from drinking in Hastings Old Town back in the day. You could sum it up by the fact that William Parker School, formerly Hastings Grammar School (which has an impressive list of famous alumnus including England footballers and cricket players) had a strict uniform policy, but boys who were the sons of fisherman used to be allowed to wear ear rings if they wished.

Yep, we tried to coral our fishing fleet for their protection. They told us to **** off.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
In the past, many UK Fishermen sold their right to quotas to fishermen from European countries. After Brexit what will happen to these "foreign" held quotas?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

It may help if the British actually eat what we catch apart from Cod,Haddock and a few other species like Prawns.
The Europeans love to eat almost anything that comes out of the sea and it is healthy and delicious and we send it too them because they want it.
It may also help if the fishermen are what they catch as well.
Living in Plymouth but also visiting many other fishing ports from time to time, Looe and Newly for example, I see them, in the cafes eating pies and meat, never see them eating fish.
Totally the opposite in France and Spain.
Sea fishermen are a very strange lot, especially the Cornish ones.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It may help if the British actually eat what we catch apart from Cod,Haddock and a few other species like Prawns.
The Europeans love to eat almost anything that comes out of the sea and it is healthy and delicious and we send it too them because they want it.
It may also help if the fishermen are what they catch as well.
Living in Plymouth but also visiting many other fishing ports from time to time, Looe and Newly for example, I see them, in the cafes eating pies and meat, never see them eating fish.
Totally the opposite in France and Spain.
Sea fishermen are a very strange lot, especially the Cornish ones.

Possibly an economy issue with many as generally fish is quite expensive and much cheaper forms of meat can be bought if feeding a family. Obviously this isnt the case with those that eat what they catch.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Possibly an economy issue with many as generally fish is quite expensive and much cheaper forms of meat can be bought if feeding a family. Obviously this isnt the case with those that eat what they catch.

Yes fish can be expensive, especially species like Turbot and Monkfish.
But we do also have delicious Mackerel and Herring, we eat Plaice but not a great deal all of these are plentiful in the sea, especially Mackerel.
We have a large fish processing factory in Plymouth and also a very busy fish dock with a market, always loads of French and Spanish trucks lining up and straight on the ferry to France and Spain.
I wonder how no deal will affect those 2 businesses, maybe it won't, trouble is no bugger knows but plenty having a guess or just making it up as they go along.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know that in a supermarket I can buy a piece of sirloin steak at much the same price as cod fillet and much less than my favourite skate or Wray. a it usually is. I like Kippers and smoked mackerel but am not a great lover of either basic herrings or mackerel.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I know that in a supermarket I can buy a piece of sirloin steak at much the same price as cod fillet and much less than my favourite skate or Wray. a it usually is. I like Kippers and smoked mackerel but am not a great lover of either basic herrings or mackerel.

Fairly indecipherable, but fascinating, nonetheless.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

We have massive new housing projects going on that will double the population of Faversham over the next 10 years, and this itself will cause massive problems.

Not just North Kent you regionalist.

South of the A/M20 the east/west links by road are terrible. The train line is much better. There is so much house building taking place in towns with a railway station which is going to make those roads pretty grim. You then have rail commuters up the line who aren't going to understand why trains are more rammed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here