Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Lib Dems up to 23% in today's Times poll, putting them ahead of Labour.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Arsenal supporter is insulin dependent, but still wants to leave with No Deal:eek:

[tweet]1174588093426540544[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Arsenal supporter is insulin dependent, but still wants to leave with No Deal:eek:

Genuinely unbelievable. Imagine hating foreigners so much that you are happy to kill yourself to stick it to them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

would draw attention to his words, why he would be willing to take that risk. a couple of generations ago the whole population accepted similar risk for similar principle and we dont call that a cult. perhaps we can learn from this, understand that the recognition of the vote has become bigger than the actual cause itself?

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Not in the amount they're used to ,who's picking up the tab in the EU Mikey ??
Regards
DF

It will be US picking up the tab. Do keep up.

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/
https://fullfact.org/europe/norway-eu-payments/

“In 2018 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at nearly £9 billion.

The UK’s contribution to the EU budget as a fully paid-up member was set to be around £220 per head between 2015 and 2020, whereas Norway is set to put in around £140 per head.

Unlike Norway, the UK contributes directly to the central EU budget. The size of its contribution is based on the size of its economy and its VAT income.”

SO…

If we are charged the same per head as Norway @ £140 per head, our annual bill will be £9.3 billion. Which is more than our current net contribution and for less benefit. Well done you!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What about the rest of us who don't resort to calling you names?

You've lost my respect for that answer. It's not an unreasonable question even if it is the same two posters asking the same question ad finitum.

You won't get an answer. And I am completely bored of it as well.

It's the same everytime

WS/JCFG - I didn't say I wanted 'no deal', I just want it on the table so we can negotiate a 'good deal'.
Me - What is this 'good deal' you want ?
WS/JCFG - Silence

The simple fact is that there isn't a 'good deal' which benefits Britain whilst protecting the EU's single market, other than one involving a Customs Union of some kind (or Backstop, if you want to rename it and kick the issue into the long grass for another 2 years). It is, and always has been a complete and utter lie to claim anything otherwise.

The problem is that if you don't call out this lie that there is a 'good deal' waiting to be negotiated, then naive people will believe the lie, and blame anything and everything for it not happening (as has become blindingly obvious).

And even after Johnson (and everyone else in the last 3.5 years) has failed to get, define, or even outline this 'good deal' (12 days to go), I can guarantee there will still be posters on here talking about a 'good deal'.

Ad infinitum :wink:

(And the reason I keep on their case, is that neither of those two are stupid, they know it's a lie, but they continue pushing it, in the hope that the more naive posters on here will continue to believe it. Why would they do that ? It's almost as dishonest as Johnson).

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
would draw attention to his words, why he would be willing to take that risk. a couple of generations ago the whole population accepted similar risk for similar principle and we dont call that a cult. perhaps we can learn from this, understand that the recognition of the vote has become bigger than the actual cause itself?

Ah I see we're back to the "Brexit is World War 2" narrative again. Back when I was studying history I must have missed the bit in the textbooks where the UK decided to declare war for no good reason then impose all that hardship and death on itself. Big thing for it to gloss over...

Yet again I would also point to the thing that people were ACTUALLY voting for. Point 4 on Page 11 will do. So he's wrong, he (and all other Leave voters) were voting for a Deal.

http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...inal/1463496002/Why_Vote_Leave.pdf?1463496002

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Ah I see we're back to the "Brexit is World War 2" narrative again.

no, i didnt say that, and not sure it was ever a narrative. i'm comparing what than was common is now considered in some quarters to be a cult.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

A similar risk? There is absolutely nothing similar in this risk whatsoever.
We can leave the EU, and remain in the Single Market, or even stay as part of EFTA (European Free Trade Association) which will remove the political part of the Union.

We are choosing to shoot ourselves in the foot, completely voluntarily, not trying to save Poland from the Nazi jackboot. :facepalm:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
A similar risk? There is absolutely nothing similar in this risk whatsoever.

so you cant even accept what he said and draw a parallel? its what he is willing to do for his notion of democracy.

We can leave the EU, and remain in the Single Market, or even stay as part of EFTA (European Free Trade Association) which will remove the political part of the Union.

agree, so let sell that rather than dismiss someones view as a cult.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
i'm comparing what than was common is now considered in some quarters to be a cult.

Sorry, what does this even mean? Can you think of any time in the past where this country (or indeed any country) has entirely voluntarily submitted itself to something so utterly needlessly catastrophic as a No Deal Brexit?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
so you cant even accept what he said and draw a parallel?

There is no parallel.

I voted Remain but could accept the government getting a deal. There is no sign of the government even wanting to do a deal. They're not even negotiating.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

When someone ignores so much evidence that something will not be a good thing but insists it happen anyway because they would rather not engage with that evidence, what else would you call it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here