Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It would be easy.

Clearly it would be pointless too.

Pearls before swine and all that.

And be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
bc9ce3b3a86000616cbed8fb61a46c77.jpg

What a brilliant argument for the benefits of Brexit. I'm surprised you haven't used it before

It has to be easier than all that swerving :lolol:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
This Brexit debate has really brought out the absolute worst in so many (probably otherwise decent) people.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This Brexit debate has really brought out the absolute worst in so many (probably otherwise decent) people.

Well I think everyone is being really really horrid to you, keep on asking you to explain a benefit of Brexit, even after you have made it clear that you won't, or can't give one :wave:

Oh well, at least we can get back to some detailed discussion about the issues [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION]. So what is your alternative suggestion for the backstop today ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As it happens, I would use the term Fully Federal State, but yes I would. It is debatable as to whether it is a good or bad thing, but Brexit is not required to avoid it, so a moot point.
Forcing a federal state is not a good idea, it will happen, but it should only happen as quickly as EU citizens want it to.
Avoiding it is entirely possible by not agreeing to any further political integration, as it is the right of the UK Government to not enter into any further closer Union without detriment, and as it would also legally require a UK referendum agreeing to it, as well as both houses of Parliament agreeing to it, for any UK Government to sign up to any treaty changes, Brexit is using a Sledgehammer to (try to) crack a nut.
There is also the possibility that we rejoin the EU in the future, but without the current membership arrangements, and without the European Parliament act being reinstated, so in the end, it is probably more likely that the UK eventually becomes a member state of the European Federal State if we leave now, and it certainly does not preclude it.

Wow - I've heard it all now. So to clarify, in your mind, one of the reasons for NOT leaving is to prevent the chance of us becoming part of a future United States of Europe ?? :facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Wow - I've heard it all now. So to clarify, in your mind, one of the reasons for NOT leaving is to prevent the chance of us becoming part of a future United States of Europe ?? :facepalm:

I don't think you have understood what Baldseagull is saying.

He said 'Brexit is not required to avoid Britain becoming part of a Federal State'.

I believe he is saying that if we leave the EU and then rejoin, we won't have a lot of the powers that British Governments (of all political hues) have spent negotiating for us over the last 40 years. You know, the sort of things that may make some people describe our current membership as 'A good Deal' for Britain. Almost as if we have spent 40 years designing this current membership deal to protect British interests.

If, after we leave, we try to rejoin, we will be in a far weaker position.

I'm surprised his post managed to confuse you.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Well I think everyone is being really really horrid to you, keep on asking you to explain a benefit of Brexit, even after you have made it clear that you won't, or can't give one :wave:

lol. nobody is being horrid to me.

They are just being sarcy and arrogant.

It's no skin off my nose, it's just sad. Mostly for them.

It takes courage and humility to treat those you don't agree with with respect.

Not treating those you disagree with with respect is a sign that you lack courage and humility.

It's sad for them, not me.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

He said 'Brexit is not required to avoid Britain becoming part of a Federal State'.

I believe he is saying that if we leave the EU and then rejoin, we won't have a lot of the powers that British Governments (of all political hues) have spent negotiating for us over the last 40 years. You know, the sort of things that may make some people describe our current membership as 'A good Deal' for Britain. Almost as if we have spent 40 years designing this current membership deal to protect British interests.

I think it's you that's confused as you've just re-stated his argument but in different words. So yes, he ( and now you clearly ) is suggesting a benefit of remaining now is that after leaving IF we decided to re-join we would be in a worse position. No shit Sherlock ! But why would we rejoin .... we wouldn't .... so it's a stupid point.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think it's you that's confused as you've just re-stated his argument but in different words. So yes, he ( and now you clearly ) is suggesting a benefit of remaining now is that after leaving IF we decided to re-join we would be in a worse position. No shit Sherlock ! But why would we rejoin .... we wouldn't .... so it's a stupid point.

Almost as stupid as believing we were going to leave on March 30th, and then again on April 12th and then again on October 31st ?

Jan 30, 2008
There was an issue on which Britain insisted there had to be movement. It was the Customs Union. Hence why the EU and British Government, in their negotiations, came up with the alternative of 'the backstop'.

Have you been asleep since 2016 ?

That's choice coming from you of all people ,remind us all what the referendum result was ,go on be a devil !
regards
DR

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
I actually love a well mannered and sincere debate, probably more than most people. Maybe more than I should. :lolol:

In a debate amongst sincere people who genuinely are trying to establish the truth of things, both sides can learn something from each other if they are prepared to listen with humility and respect to the opposing view.

I don't swerve arguments. I swerve people.

I am interested in your perceived benefits of leaving the EU. Please tell me what they are so I can better understand your position on this matter.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018

A website confused him. What do you expect?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I am interested in your perceived benefits of leaving the EU. Please tell me what they are so I can better understand your position on this matter.

2322 pages and you've been unable to read all the posts giving the benefits ? Yet there have been hundreds, no, thousands of posts giving the benefits. Are you a bit slow on the up take ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

No, to clarify, just pointing out that Brexit is neither required, or makes it more likely to avoid it, if that is what the people of the UK want. i.e. not a well reasoned argument in favour of Brexit.

I do not think it will happen in my lifetime whether we leave or remain, but one day I believe it will. I am ready for it but I accept most of the UK and the rest of Europe is not, steps towards it should not be made if people do not want it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here