Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The only minor flaw might be, as I stated above, that a Remain voter will be highly unlikely to accept any Leave deal as a whole, so the chances of getting one through are minimal.

Well of course, I don't see the issue? All legally registered voters in a country should have an equal say.

Interesting that you do seem to now be acknowledging that it's very likely there isn't any one Brexit deal that the country as a whole actually wants. Thus...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh boy, every home in Britain is going to get a leaflet on how to prepare for a No Deal. Why are we having to prepare? We're told it will be a wonderful thing so let's leave today.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The pound has just slumped to a two-year low based on merely the suggestion that No Deal Brexit might happen.

It's definitely definitely a good idea though, even though not a single person in this country voted for it.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Apparently not, but Leave we must. Up to our elected cognoscenti to sort that conundrum.

....and your choice of Brexit would be.....?

The theory that we just allow the government to choose the way we leave does not work in practice for the majority.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The only minor flaw might be, as I stated above, that a Remain voter will be highly unlikely to accept any Leave deal as a whole, so the chances of getting one through are minimal.

I am an ardent Remainer but I could cope with the Norway deal, if I had to.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In many opinions, it is/was.

Then they were wrong opinions. The widely accepted definition is as follows;

No Brexit - the UK remains in the EU
Soft Brexit - the UK remains inside the Single Market but leaves the EU (i.e. EFTA)
Hard Brexit - the UK leaves the single market and the EU but with a Withdrawal Agreement (May's Deal)
No Deal Brexit - the UK leaves the single market and the EU without a Withdrawal Agreement

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apparently not, but Leave we must. Up to our elected cognoscenti to sort that conundrum.

"but Leave we must". Why? We seem heading perilously close to "It's my ball and I'm going home so no one else can play" level of debate here.

Your argument seems to be made of paper at best.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
"but Leave we must". Why? We seem heading perilously close to "It's my ball and I'm going home so no one else can play" level of debate here.

Your argument seems to be made of paper at best.

Interpret it how you will, for your means. As BoJo, and Jezza at the time, said...we must adhere to the result of the referendum. They're the bods at the sharp end of our democratic system.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Interpret it how you will, for your means. As BoJo, and Jezza at the time, said...we must adhere to the result of the referendum. They're the bods at the sharp end of our democratic system.

And they haven't got a clue what to do. Three years later and we're still not out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To leave the EU.

Come on mate. It's childish. You're better than this.

This is akin to you going into a Restaurant and saying - "I want lunch." over and over and over and over and over again.

The waiter is going to press you on what you actually want for lunch. It's their job.

Meanwhile you keep just repeating;

"I said I want Lunch. Lunch means Lunch!"

There is no form of Brexit that has a valid mandate. If we had voted Leave in 2016 with a specific Deal already negotiated, it wouldn't have been argued against by any but a very small minority.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

And they are elected by us to act in our best interests, even if that means Remaining in the EU.

Of course, as a fan of Parliamentary Sovereignty, you would be completely on board with this.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Come on mate. It's childish. You're better than this.

This is akin to you going into a Restaurant and saying - "I want lunch." over and over and over and over and over again.

The waiter is going to press you on what you actually want for lunch. It's their job.

Meanwhile you keep just repeating;

"I said I want Lunch. Lunch means Lunch!"

There is no form of Brexit that has a valid mandate. If we had voted Leave in 2016 with a specific Deal already negotiated, it wouldn't have been argued against by any but a very small minority.

So, as nobody can 100% agree on a definitive route out of this, do you think we should scrap the whole idea, and stay in? Put aside your Leave/Remain bias, would it be fair to scrap this simply because there are a million variables to prevent a majority 'Yes, we'll have that one'?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I am an ardent Remainer but I could cope with the Norway deal, if I had to.

It would be the least worst outcome of the biggest mistake ever made by a British PM. Utterly stupid & humiliating for a major economy to be in the SM & have no say, above all when you consider the position that we're chucking away, but not as headbangingly insane (and pointless) as no deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here