Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
On top of that the existential future of The UK is at risk, our international reputation as a country is utterly trashed and will only get far worse if a no deal occurred............and people cheer it on.
On the plus side they are dancing with happiness about *no deal* Brexit in the corridors of The Kremlin, so not all bad for everyone.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Indeed, and as posted before, the reluctance for the remain side to accept the result, and try to move forward with the best scenario possible of compromise (probably similar to May's deal) was treated with scorn and ridicule. Probably, in hindsight, might have been better to go with that rather than this path of self-destruction.

Fighting the result hoping it might just go away possibly wasn't the best plan.

If you say so Boss. I think, and according to many business chaps, it's the uncertainty that's causing the issues.

Had we left, no uncertainty and everyone would be getting on with their lives.

Too simple? Possibly.

Well you're possibly right, but then those of us griping on here have no say this in anymore. The people who have the say are in parliament, and the Remainers there on the Tory benches are doing exactly what you propose, finding a compromise and attempting to leave. Its the ERG lot who have decided that this compromise is no good and are pushing for a destructive no deal. There have after all been four votes in parliament to leave, each of which would have passed if all the leavers had voted for it. So directing your ire at Remainers for not finding a compromise doesn't really stack up.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
As I have said before. Leaving the EU affects the laws and framework within which many people have built careers, businesses and families. If you didn’t therefore expect this reaction then you’re stupid; you really are. Tel me, do you really expect people who are going to be badly affected by this to just accept it and move on?

Most people seem able to have a reasoned debate without resulting to 'tedious' or stupid'. You need to grow up.

Back to the point, as in any transition there are +s and -s. My point, should you care to listen, is that once Brexit was won in the referendum, the process of change might have been easier had it been accepted earlier. By spanners in works and sabotage linked delays, the inevitable transition is thus more difficult.

Still, gives an easier blame target I guess.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Well you're possibly right, but then those of us griping on here have no say this in anymore. The people who have the say are in parliament, and the Remainers there on the Tory benches are doing exactly what you propose, finding a compromise and attempting to leave. Its the ERG lot who have decided that this compromise is no good and are pushing for a destructive no deal. There have after all been four votes in parliament to leave, each of which would have passed if all the leavers had voted for it. So directing your ire at Remainers for not finding a compromise doesn't really stack up.

I still think that had Leaver Corbyn told his troops to back May's deal, it might have gone through.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I still think that had Leaver Corbyn told his troops to back May's deal, it might have gone through.

Well clearly it would have, but I don't think it would have been great for the future harmony of our nation for a deal to pass based on Remainer votes and rejected by all the committed Leavers. We would have left the EU but STILL these b*stards would have been banging on for ever and ever.

Thankfully Boris is riding in to save us all... :facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Indeed, and as posted before, the reluctance for the remain side to accept the result, and try to move forward with the best scenario possible of compromise (probably similar to May's deal) was treated with scorn and ridicule. Probably, in hindsight, might have been better to go with that rather than this path of self-destruction.

But I keep getting told on here and in the press and on TV that this vassal state plan you talk of, isn't apparently the 'will of the people', and has the least support for any of the three 'solutions'.

Now if only we had a way of finding out what the 'will of the people' is democratically (or would only an undemocratic weasel suggest such a thing) :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Most people seem able to have a reasoned debate without resulting to 'tedious' or stupid'. You need to grow up.

Back to the point, as in any transition there are +s and -s. My point, should you care to listen, is that once Brexit was won in the referendum, the process of change might have been easier had it been accepted earlier. By spanners in works and sabotage linked delays, the inevitable transition is thus more difficult.

What term, other than stupid, would you use for someone who repeatedly misses the point of numerous people’s well made points? Disingenuous maybe?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Blame remoaners/always the victim, never your fault.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I am not retired, I don't ever see that being on the agenda as I love working and achieving goals.

So you are wrong on that front.

Come on Lever even you couldn't fail to laugh if Rory's feet and head were poking out under big bad Boris while he is wearing a leotard with 'i'm the daddy' splashed across his back.

I apologise unreservedly for assuming you are retired. It does seem that you work out of choice though, so maybe retirement age? Perhaps not under threat of unemployment? Perhaps not working primarily out of necessity?
I think I enjoy a good reputation for having a keen sense of humour, even if the joke is at my expense; but trust me, I find little humorous about an Eton schooled, Bullingdon bully bearing down on another privileged Eton boy in a contest which decides who leads our good people to an unknown, frightening destination.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

it would, he's playing party politics trying to force an election. which he cant win and we're back to this all again under a hung parliament.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This subsequent recession and job losses and Armageddon in general.....any idea which areas will be hit hardest job-wise? Manufacturing, banking, clerical, baking?

According to the CBI the biggest impacts will be felt on small-to-medium businesses which primarily deal with manufacturing. This then has knock on issues into the supply chains of larger firms. Services will also take a hit if the UK leaves the Single Market as we have a lot of exports to Europe in that field.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Do you not read or understand what posters on here have explained in posts on even the last couple of pages ?
Had the hard line brexiteers in parliament NOT voted against the exit deal put in front of them four 4 times we would have already have left ! But of course it was not Brexity enough for them was it ? I have even stated on this forum in the past couple of months that had May's deal been offered on June 22nd 2016 they would have snatched her hands off, but by getting their tiny win majority they want the hardest of hard Brexit regardless of who gets hurt by this course of action. I wonder why ? Maybe they themselves are the only group who have anything to gain, I do not know of anyone else who will benefit from this course.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Blame remoaners/always the victim, never your fault.

Blame Remainders? I think you will find it is the Arch Brexiters who have really screwed it up in recent weeks. As a remained myself, I would have accepted the May deal reluctantly as the least worst deal. It's the likes of Rees-Mogg who made it really difficult in my view in that May was seeking to pander to them but never able to satisfy them.

D

Deleted member 2719

I apologise unreservedly for assuming you are retired. It does seem that you work out of choice though, so maybe retirement age? Perhaps not under threat of unemployment? Perhaps not working primarily out of necessity?
I think I enjoy a good reputation for having a keen sense of humour, even if the joke is at my expense; but trust me, I find little humorous about an Eton schooled, Bullingdon bully bearing down on another privileged Eton boy in a contest which decides who leads our good people to an unknown, frightening destination.

Like I have said in the past to survive in this world we have to be adaptable and not one dimensional, it's good to be out of the comfort zone, no one ever achieves their potential in this zone. So go out and explore and that precisely what we will be doing under Brexit, we will grow as a nation and have some control over our destiny.

How exciting.

Why the hatred for the Eton boys it's not their thought they had wealthy parents, I have mixed with all types over the years, and generally, the mega-rich with their feet on the ground are a great bunch, yes you have a few self-made w++kers around but you also have some average earners who are w++kers.

I judge on personality more than wealth.

I once went out with a girl who's parents were mega-rich, it didn't work out though as the cries of tally ho wore a bit thin well on the gravy strokes.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

You mention May's deal and the reluctance of the remain side to accept it as being the cause of the UK's trashed reputation. The government and its ally have a working majority in the House of Commons, sufficient to ensure that it can normally go about its business. It hasn't been able to get the May deal through because of rebels on its own side. These rebels are primarily Brexiteers. Why therefore do you blame Remainers?

Jan 30, 2008
Blame Remainders? I think you will find it is the Arch Brexiters who have really screwed it up in recent weeks. As a remained myself, I would have accepted the May deal reluctantly as the least worst deal. It's the likes of Rees-Mogg who made it really difficult in my view in that May was seeking to pander to them but never able to satisfy them.

How will you cope when we leave the EU ? Cry , sulk some more, move out of the country or get on with your life ?
Regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here