Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The whole gang of them on here are in complete Denial and are sleep walking into a reality check ,oh dear the bubbles burst , 17.4 million to be respected
regards
DR

Tell that to someone how works at Ford in Bridgend pal...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

There are three conclusions to be drawn from the news that Ford will close its Bridgend plant, according to Prof Karel Williams, an automotive expert from Manchester Business School:

He said it highlights the limits of the Welsh Government's "inward investment strategy". While inward investment from big firms - encouraged by the Welsh Government through incentives - is not a bad idea, he argued a wiser strategy would be to encourage the growth of Welsh businesses which can employ large numbers of people locally, and are not as vulnerable to global markets.

Bridgend Ford closure is "collateral damage" from other "larger developments", he added. In particular, he said the emissions scandal had accelerated the push toward electric engines.

Prof Williams added that supply chains in mainland Europe would be harder hit than those in Bridgend because the plant works assembling and exporting engines from imported components. However, a relatively small number of jobs in the local service sector - such as grounds maintenance, IT, electrical - would be at risk.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There are three conclusions to be drawn from the news that Ford will close its Bridgend plant, according to Prof Karel Williams, an automotive expert from Manchester Business School:

He said it highlights the limits of the Welsh Government's "inward investment strategy". While inward investment from big firms - encouraged by the Welsh Government through incentives - is not a bad idea, he argued a wiser strategy would be to encourage the growth of Welsh businesses which can employ large numbers of people locally, and are not as vulnerable to global markets.

Bridgend Ford closure is "collateral damage" from other "larger developments", he added. In particular, he said the emissions scandal had accelerated the push toward electric engines.

Prof Williams added that supply chains in mainland Europe would be harder hit than those in Bridgend because the plant works assembling and exporting engines from imported components. However, a relatively small number of jobs in the local service sector - such as grounds maintenance, IT, electrical - would be at risk.

A functioning government would have done more. The fact is Ford have completely pulled out, no future investment, no next generation, gone forever.

Why would Ford blame Brexit, nothing in it for them. Just like Honda....

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A functioning government would have done more. The fact is Ford have completely pulled out, no future investment, no next generation, gone forever.

Why would Ford blame Brexit, nothing in it for them. Just like Honda....

If you say so. I am not an economist, especially in the UK manufacturing sector, so I trust your expertise.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You really are a bit too clever for you own good.

WTO terms are the go to arrangement when trade deals have not been reached. So if it takes 5 years to do a deal with country A, or six months to agree an arrangement with trading block B, it actually changes nothing. Until the UK does a deal with a trading partner they work under WTO rules. Which part of that is too difficult for you to understand?

Well with your vast knowledge of WTO I'm sure that you are already aware that if we go 'no deal' with no border or customs posts in Northern Ireland we are allowing free access to the EU, and under the WTO's Most-favoured-nation (MFN) rules, we are therefor granting free access to all British markets to the whole world :facepalm:

Brexit can be nigh on instant, on WTO terms, job done. Uncertainty ended.

Quite apart from the issues of granting free access to the whole world, I am assuming you are using instant pop-up borders and customs posts, just add water. It's this level of complete stupidity and complete lack of understanding that is fuelling people like Johnson and Raabs campaigns.:

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Ford are cutting jobs everywhere not just in this country. I think 5,000 are going in Germany and France is also losing some too. That's all down to the car market changing with a drive towards electric. I will say again, nobody gave a shit about the millions of manufacturing jobs we have lost to countries like China over the years, so let's stop pretending people care about it now. If we actually do leave the EU, this country will adapt, and there will be a drive for more manufacturing at home which benefits all.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It is the governments responsibilty. Am I happy? No, however I am not going to feel guilty either. Stop our exit by the 31st Oct or come up with a sensible agreement with the EU. Otherwise we leave.

Well I didn't bother to do either on March 31st or 12th April and guess what ?

It didn't happen. Turns out it was all a load of bluster from a small group of hard line Brexiteers, hoping to take in the terminally naive. Well who would have thought that :lolol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ford are cutting jobs everywhere not just in this country. I think 5,000 are going in Germany and France is also losing some too. That's all down to the car market changing with a drive towards electric. I will say again, nobody gave a shit about the millions of manufacturing jobs we have lost to countries like China over the years, so let's stop pretending people care about it now. If we actually do leave the EU, this country will adapt, and there will be a drive for more manufacturing at home which benefits all.

I've always cared about Engineering and manufacturing, spent a career in it, you're not alone. If we go out with no deal the sector will be destroyed.

What do you think we will be manufacturing in the UK after Brexit that we're not manufacturing now? Do you seeing any large investment coming our way, and I mean 1000's of jobs for the guys and girls at Honda and Ford....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well with your vast knowledge of WTO I'm sure that you are already aware that if we go 'no deal' with no border or customs posts in Northern Ireland we are allowing free access to the EU, and under the WTO's Most-favoured-nation (MFN) rules, we are therefor granting free access to all British markets to the whole world :facepalm:

Quite apart from the issues of granting free access to the whole world, I am assuming you are using instant pop-up borders and customs posts, just add water. It's this level of complete stupidity and complete lack of understanding that is fuelling people like Johnson and Raabs campaigns.:

wellquickwoody, sorry you've been OWNED

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Look slowcoach, I did not say it was a good idea, I said it could be done.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Boris says there will be “mortal retribution” if we don’t quit.
It’s rhetoric like this that gets the brexiteers frothing at the mouth. It’s not far off incitement to riot.
Right now we need a measured, pragmatic PM with everyone’s interests in mind. Not this clown.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Boris says there will be “mortal retribution” if we don’t quit.
It’s rhetoric like this that gets the brexiteers frothing at the mouth. It’s not far off incitement to riot.
Right now we need a measured, pragmatic PM with everyone’s interests in mind. Not this clown.

Didn't take long before Boris engaged in his usual clumsy language.

Is "mortal retribution" some kind of coded death threat from Boris "beat up a journalist" Johnson or does it just mean deliver Brexit and somebody dies

Trump-Lite again....

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Didn't take long before Boris engaged in his usual clumsy language.

Is "mortal retribution" some kind of coded death threat from Boris "beat up a journalist" Johnson or does it just mean deliver Brexit and somebody dies

Trump-Lite again....

He knows exactly what he’s doing. He knows this sort of language appeals to the leave voters and the likes of Mogg.
Right now he doesn’t need to appeal to the unwashed masses but come GE he’s gonna need their votes so he’s grooming them now. And as past form dictates, they’ll be dumb enough to fall for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here