Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Are you remain?

Of course I am. Usually I'm all for give-and-take but I see no room for serious compromise on Brexit. Sliding out of the EU on the back of a compromise soft-deal would be wishy-washy worst-of-all-worlds. Yes, we would have technically left but we would have reduced ourselves to what a well-known supporter of such a deal described as a vassal state. Such an end product is most likely if Rory Stewart or even Michael Gove take over. I'd rather see one of the hard Brexit ultras ascend to the throne and start waving the No Deal flag - it would bring matters to a head and almost certainly lead to a GE or second referendum.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Of course I am. Usually I'm all for give-and-take but I see no room for serious compromise on Brexit. Sliding out of the EU on the back of a compromise soft-deal would be wishy-washy worst-of-all-worlds. Yes, we would have technically left but we would have reduced ourselves to what a well-known supporter of such a deal described as a vassal state. Such an end product is most likely if Rory Stewart or even Michael Gove take over. I'd rather see one of the hard Brexit ultras ascend to the throne and start waving the No Deal flag - it would bring matters to a head and almost certainly lead to a GE or second referendum.

I didn't vote on the referendum because I didn't believe that leaving after 40 years of agreements was possible to renegotiate even with a public will to leave. I also understand the reality of only 1/3 of people of voting age voted Brexit which is reflected in Parliament. The 52% for Brexit isn't really accurate.

I have always seen our own incompetent governments as more of the problem than Europe and as an example Grenfell would never have happened in Germany because of strict building regs. If we were that tight in Europe we would be using the same building recommendations.

I haven't really trusted anyone in making a deal and Boris Johnson is only capable of a bad no deal and deal and Gove is a wet lettuce.The only person I believe who can get us through this and make us a stronger country with a vision by thinking out of the box using first hand qualified experience is Stewart.

I predict that Boris will step out of the race.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Brexit is a time parasite, we have taken our eye off the ball for 3 years and have not been planning for the future during this period. We don't know who we want to be or where to go as a nation. Rory has identified this problem and can think outside the box. He was was tasked with administrating Basra in Iraq and had to deal with the Sunni, Shia and other militant groups so he is a stronger person than he looks and is not intimidated by personalities or cross party talks.

This video demonstrates that he understands what he is talking about rather than a Boris scribbling down some sound bytes for public entertainment:

I'm not saying watch it but you can get an idea of who he is on skipping through.

Posh Tory boy old Etonian or not - Rory Stewart is one bad boy m**********r in my book chasing the dragon when in Iran. :bowdown:

'Very stupid mistake' he calls it.

I like him.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Rory Stewart is proof that not all leave voters are thick and he is quite straightforward about what he wants.

It’s very good, but I think I must be really demanding, because I want a little more from the leader of my country :shrug:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't agree with everything that Rory Stewart stands for, but he isn't Gove, Johnson or Hunt so he would get my vote on that basis alone.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Rory Stewart is proof that not all leave voters are thick and he is quite straightforward about what he wants.

It’s very good, but I think I must be really demanding, because I want a little more from the leader of my country :shrug:

He voted for May's deal but was a Remain voter in 2016...

Penrith and The Border
Leave vote: 55.2%

MP: Rory Stewart (Conservative) ...Remain

He voted to trigger Article 50.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gove is a wet lettuce

Oh, he's not. Apart from Stewart. he's the only candidate who seems to have given any thought into the consequences of Brexit. Unfortunately, he's also one who's still tied (publicly) to the notion of renegotiating a deal but this could be politicking.

He's certainly the one candidate (apart from Stewart) who appears to have a functioning brain - the others are as thick as clotted cream.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Oh, he's not. Apart from Stewart. he's the only candidate who seems to have given any thought into the consequences of Brexit. Unfortunately, he's also one who's still tied (publicly) to the notion of renegotiating a deal but this could be politicking.

He's certainly the one candidate (apart from Stewart) who appears to have a functioning brain - the others are as thick as clotted cream.

Indeed: I think of him as being rather too clever - but with no real substance. Opportunism on legs.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

But when Cameron quit he was the favourite for the job, but then withdrew from the race. If the "best man" for the job bottled it then he's not the right man now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But when Cameron quit he was the favourite for the job, but then withdrew from the race. If the "best man" for the job bottled it then he's not the right man now.

No he didn't; it was Johnson who bottled it, Gove was on the first and second ballot but finished some way behind Leadsom and May and was eliminated.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
a tired old has been of a celebrity, trying to get noticed.

You would have to be pretty ignorant to think that Elton John needs any more publicity at the moment. He and his music are everywhere. Someone said the other day that they were hearing so much of Reg's music on the radio that they assumed he'd died.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
You would have to be pretty ignorant to think that Elton John needs any more publicity at the moment. He and his music are everywhere. Someone said the other day that they were hearing so much of Reg's music on the radio that they assumed he'd died.

Silly old fart, trying to stay relevant and pandering to a vocal minority. His comments are insulting to 17.4 million of his compatriots by describing them as stupid imperialist English idiots. Even remainers should set aside their loyalties and be annoyed at that.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Silly old fart, trying to stay relevant and pandering to a vocal minority. His comments are insulting to 17.4 million of his compatriots by describing them as stupid imperialist English idiots. Even remainers should set aside their loyalties and be annoyed at that.

He may or may not be that, but anyone saying he said it just for publicity is certainly an idiot.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here