Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Or maybe these inferences and double agendas are lost on thicko Leavers like me. I simply thought we were voting on who would be best placed to collect my bins most efficiently on a Tuesday.

This attitude is exactly the reason the country is in a shambolic mess.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Or maybe these inferences and double agendas are lost on thicko Leavers like me. I simply thought we were voting on who would be best to collect my bins most efficiently on a Tuesday.

Don't be so hard on yourself..... but if you think the overwhelming topic of recent political debate did not influence yesterday's votes, I would say that you are a bit naive.... note I didn't say 'thicko' - you did!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Or maybe these inferences and double agendas are lost on thicko Leavers like me. I simply thought we were voting on who would be best placed to collect my bins most efficiently on a Tuesday.

Local elections have been influenced by the bigger national political climate for years, maybe forever?

To suggest otherwise suggests you are being naive, either deliberately or otherwise.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Take from it what you will, there's many ways that the self soothers put their own spin on local election results. The REAL acid test is on the 23rd May, you know it and I know it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
So both the Chairman of The Conservative Party and Shadow Chancellor of The Labour Party have said the local election results are down to Brexit, every political commentator/journalist I've read have said it's down to Brexit too, but the NSC Brexit backing, face savers on this thread and the local elections one say it isn't.

I'm glad this has been cleared up.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Take from it what you will, there's many ways that the self soothers put their own spin on local election results. The REAL acid test is on the 23rd May, you know it and I know it.

What, another election where we elect people who, like councillors, have no say whatsoever in the Brexit process :facepalm:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If Leave was polling at 58% and the pro-Brexit parties had done as well in the local elections, people would be banging on about how it was a mandate for Brexit to happen and happen quickly. Therefore it has to be concluded with Remain on 58% and the pro-Remain parties doing well in the Locals that the mandate to Leave is looking increasingly flimsy.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
oddschecker brexit.jpg

:cheery: Bookies don't share your views, Brexit Party odds shortening.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If you had been a bit more honest with him and told him your real views about not accepting the referendum result and wanting MP's to seize control and end the process you may have got a different response ....

Well yes, the fact I was wearing a socking great yellow rosette outside the polling station may have given the conservative candidate I was talking to an inkling that I might be in favour of a referendum on the final deal.

He was, as I say, thoughtful and considered Leave voter: that was the point of my post. Like all of us he will probably have spluttered an angry outburst once or twice in his life but on the whole I found him to be the perfect antidote to those sneering Brexiteers on here who can never resist their tired name-calling.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Well yes, the fact I was wearing a socking great yellow rosette outside the polling station may have given the conservative candidate I was talking to an inkling that I might be in favour of a referendum on the final deal.

He was, as I say, thoughtful and considered Leave voter: that was the point of my post. Like all of us he will probably have spluttered an angry outburst once or twice in his life but on the whole I found him to be the perfect antidote to those sneering Brexiteers on here who can never resist their tired name-calling.

Refreshing to hear this.... and suggestions that you were economic with the truth are simply disingenuous. Actually I think such people as this reasonable conservative candidate are the majority. They just get drowned out by the noisy extremists.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
They showed their dissatisfaction by voting in large numbers for a party that wants to REMAIN? Wow, that really is thick.

They also voted in huge numbers for independents. Who knows what those people voted for in the referendum? The best way to protest at the farce caused by brexit in this case was to vote for anyone but Labour and tory. I am sure there were those who voted Liberal as they are not always unpopular locally, but one a GE occurs, it will be interesting to see how that pans out. There will be a very large vote in favour of brexit parties in the EU elections later this month. Personally, all these elections demonstrate in my opinion, is that our country is as divided as it was 3 years ago.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If Leave was polling at 58% and the pro-Brexit parties had done as well in the local elections, people would be banging on about how it was a mandate for Brexit to happen and happen quickly. Therefore it has to be concluded with Remain on 58% and the pro-Remain parties doing well in the Locals that the mandate to Leave is looking increasingly flimsy.

Again this was not indicative of brexit intentions but rather dissatisfaction at the two major parties.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
View attachment 108773

:cheery: Bookies don't share your views, Brexit Party odds shortening.

It doesn't really prove much on it's own though. Euro elections were always going to unite all pro-Brexit people to vote for the Brexit party. What will be interesting is how many votes the Brexit party manage against ALL the clear second referendum supporting parties combined: SNP, Lib Dem, Green, Plaid Cymru, and Change UK.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The -54 for UKIP really does show that Brexit is at death’s door.

No.It just shows nobody wants an extremist party representing them.Hence Labour losing seats everywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here