Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Get over yourself we're leaving the EU
regards
DR

Are we? We've already passed two deadlines. I don't have to get over anything. The leavers do. All those nasty little obstacles like legality and other countries in the UK who want to stay, like Scotland NI.

The funny thing is, it's the hard Brexiters in May's government who keep scuppering the vote.

Jan 30, 2008
Are we? We've already passed two deadlines. I don't have to get over anything. The leavers do. All those nasty little obstacles like legality and other countries in the UK who want to stay, like Scotland NI.

The funny thing is, it's the hard Brexiters in May's government who keep scuppering the vote.
stop going around in Circles, you're coming over as bitter and twisted now
regards
DR

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
The independant fact checker that you haven't linked to in two posts?

Do they also mention that, by the standards you are using, it was also the biggest mandate AGAINST in electoral history?

It's easy to find, go and check it for yourself. I've got a ton of work to do.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Apart from the fact that it says Facebook in the headline, and the screenshot is clearly from Facebook...

Like I said.IT'S ON THE BBC.Have you not got your Spidey senses turned on?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Independent fact checker says so.

Was it the largest mandate?

A separate but related claim is that the 17.4 million votes in favour of leaving the EU was “the largest mandate for anything in British political history”. This is a more accurate version of the claim.

A mandate can be understood, in this sense, as the democratic authority given by the people to the government to do something.

Depending on how you define a mandate, it’s reasonable to say that Brexit has the largest ever mandate given for something in the UK, as more people voted for it than any other single electoral option in British political history. 17,410,742 people vote in favour of leaving the EU in 2016, which is fractionally higher than the 17,378,581 people who voted in favour of staying in the European Community in 1975.

Just waiting for the'but,but,they spent money that wasn't the taxpayers and they were all racists,and the Electoral Commission thinks they were ever so naughty..:tantrum:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Independent fact checker says so.

Was it the largest mandate?

A separate but related claim is that the 17.4 million votes in favour of leaving the EU was “the largest mandate for anything in British political history”. This is a more accurate version of the claim.

A mandate can be understood, in this sense, as the democratic authority given by the people to the government to do something.

Depending on how you define a mandate, it’s reasonable to say that Brexit has the largest ever mandate given for something in the UK, as more people voted for it than any other single electoral option in British political history. 17,410,742 people vote in favour of leaving the EU in 2016, which is fractionally higher than the 17,378,581 people who voted in favour of staying in the European Community in 1975.

You forgot the last bit:

In percentage terms, it’s not the biggest mandate in history. Of those who voted, 52% of people voted to leave the EU in 2016, compared to 67% of people who voted to stay in the European Community in 1975, the 68% who voted against changing the electoral system in 2011, or the 55% who voted for the Conservative party at the 1931 general election.

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-referendum-not-largest-democratic-exercise/

So its either the largest mandate, or its not.

Personally I would say a larger mandate would be where there is more authority and weight behind something. On that basis I don't think a 2% majority is much of a mandate at all. But sometimes needs must and you have to big things up as much as possible.

Edit again: In addition the referendum was advisory only, so it could be argued that the result did not provide any mandate whatsoever, let alone the biggest in history.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Like I said.IT'S ON THE BBC.Have you not got your Spidey senses turned on?

So you're suggesting they photoshopped the image for some reason?

I mean, there's clutching at straws and then there's this :lolol:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A pleasant antidote to this thread for me this morning: 90 minutes as a LibDem teller at a polling station. Business was quiet some of the time and the Conservative alongside me, charming, understated and furious with the government for the shambles he said they're inflicting on everyone, described himself as a 'reluctant leaver'. He hadn't been confident of Britain's ability to keep the EU federalists at bay.

It would be easy for me to claim he has changed his mind about Brexit. He may have done, he may not have done, although he did say that a two-tier EU now looks more possible than before, and that such a structure would have been no bad thing for the UK. He didn't demure when I suggested that Britain has a lot of soulmates across northern and eastern Europe, EU members who saw the UK as the leader of a drive towards a different form of European Union.

If I had to guess I'd suspect he wouldn't have voted Leave if he knew the troubles it would cause. Whatever, he restored my faith in the possibilities of quiet discussion.

If you had been a bit more honest with him and told him your real views about not accepting the referendum result and wanting MP's to seize control and end the process you may have got a different response ....

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Look i voted to leave the EU , if that means a SHORT period of instability so be it , i'm not going over all the same old ground that's been done to death on here but what i will say is LEAVE MEANS LEAVE as Instructed by the Referendum result.
regards
DR

How do you (and how does anybody else) know it will be a SHORT period of instability? It's never been done before. Seems like an excuse to say the outcome will be bad but just wait and wait for it all to get better one day.... and don't complain that you are hurting because then you are talking the country down.:FFSPuncheon

There are several ways to leave. Which one do you favour? Do any Leavers mind whether it is with a deal or without? Are there any deals they would definitely not want? How do we know?

It all sounds very vague and potentially disastrous to me...... So LEAVE MEANS ER.... WHAT?

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
No. The mandate is 2%. Its tiny. It is invalid to define it as raw number of voters as the voting population changes with time.

How can that be explained to everyone in a way that will be generally understood and acknowledged? That's the major issue......

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
European%20Parliament%20Voting%20intention%2029-30%20Apr%202019-01.png

Seems like the undemocratic loons are still in the minority. Say what you like about Nige but he sure knows how to get a party going ....

qiWaAd.gif

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I admire your patience. Do you also talk to the cat? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here