Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We had a referendum in the 1960’s when we joined the EU / common market. Move on 50 years, why shouldn’t the country be given a say again? The shambles that has followed shouldn’t stop the electorate having their say but I would leave referendums for another 50 years at least!

Well we didn't have one to join. We had one to stay. Where we should have possibly had one was over Maastricht and initially in joining.

The powers that be haven't got a very good history when it comes to the EU and democracy. It's gonna be toxic - but we may be forced into it to resolve the problem.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We are extremely lucky that we're not using the Euro. Our economy has never been in line with the rest of Europe and being able to adjust our own interest rates is crucial in keeping our economy on an even keel.

..... and probably lucky in that respect that we voted leave - a win for remain wold almost certainly have been seen by the EU as a ringing endorsement by the people of the UK for the EU and all it stands for, and then our hard won opt outs - not just from the Euro, but probably greater political union and the European army as well - would come under heavy and increasing pressure.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
..... and probably lucky in that respect that we voted leave - a win for remain wold almost certainly have been seen by the EU as a ringing endorsement by the people of the UK for the EU and all it stands for, and then our hard won opt outs - not just from the Euro, but probably greater political union and the European army as well - would come under heavy and increasing pressure.
Clean that up a bit, so you can put what's left in BIG CAPITALS and that would sit perfectly on the front of the Mail or Express. In fact you could well be accused of plagiarism already!

larus

:facepalm:

Whoooooosh.

Read the posts before and after between me and [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION], you will then see it was a deliberate misspelling. I do know the difference between your and you’re.

You went back that far and still missed the joke? :wozza:

:lolol:

No, I didn't read the whole thread. I clicked to 'First Unread Post' to see what the latest insults were at those who dared to vote leave and saw those posts from HT. So, if I missed a post from 15 days ago, the please accept my apologies as a Brexit, Racist, Xenophobic Retard. (I'm sure you vastly superior Remain supporting intellectuals can make allowances for us mere plebs).

I don't visit NSC much anymore as, being totally honest, I find the vitriol on so many threads not worth the effort. If anyone tried to put forward sensible arguments it's the typical crap of being accused of being thick.

Anyway, leavers will have the last laugh even if the remainer biased HoC overturns the democratic vote. IMO, the Euro area economies are going to keep struggling and these tensions will lead to major problems. Target 2 isn't going away and the Euro area is in no fit state to survive the next downturn (which could occur this year).

The mirage of economic growth in the Euro area was funded off the back of QE and -ve interest rates. As soon as QE was halted, look what happened to the Euro economies. Italian debt/GDP ratio is 132% at the end of the 'growth' period since the financial crisis. Unsustainable going into a downturn as they need to run a fiscal surplus to try to boost the economy. They are too big to bail out, and are getting more Eurosceptic.

Remainers may rob the people of their choice - but the EU won't want more Euorsceptic MEPs being returned from this country along with the increases which they are already expecting when they hold the next elections.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The Tory manifesto stated that they want a smooth and orderly Brexit. This obviously rules out no deal and arguably May's WA too, as the backstop issue is far from smooth.

Labour's manifesto stated that they will ensure that a deal is achieved that retains the benefits of the single market and customs union, which May's deal does not achieve.

Leaving the EU was a promise made by both parties in the last election.

We haven't left, and don't look like leaving any time soon.

I hope the lot of them get sacked at the next election.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wish I'd stayed at home and read this thread.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Quote Originally Posted by Lever View Post
Frankly I think it would be even more dangerous to sweep corruption under the carpet because of threats of civil unrest and violence. Undermining democracy whilst claiming they are upholding it is what the goons are working towards.

You make a good point, how do you deliver it?

Sorry.... I went to the match - which didn't cheer me up!
There is no way to sweeten this pill. Investigations into unfair practice in the original referendum must be presented and publicised; then a properly monitored vote on various options including leaving with no deal, May's deal, remain - and the most popular alternatives from the indicative vote need to be offered up. Of course there will be civil unrest from a minority who do not cherish democracy and have to cling on to the satisfaction of having 'won' - no matter by what means. But that is the price that we have to pay for politicians' ineptitude.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47756122

She's going to try to push it through a 4th time? Jesus Christ, when will that stubborn tart realise that it's not what is wanted or needed.

Thick cow.

I think its more stubborn or obsession. Whatever, it is pitiful desperation. Not sure how many more times she can roll the dice as her 'blackmail' options run out. I'm not sure 'vote for me or there will be an election' is that worrying from her side of the HOC. Labour ain't gonna get close to a win with JC up front.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
No, I didn't read the whole thread. I clicked to 'First Unread Post' to see what the latest insults were at those who dared to vote leave and saw those posts from HT. So, if I missed a post from 15 days ago, the please accept my apologies as a Brexit, Racist, Xenophobic Retard. (I'm sure you vastly superior Remain supporting intellectuals can make allowances for us mere plebs).

I don't visit NSC much anymore as, being totally honest, I find the vitriol on so many threads not worth the effort. If anyone tried to put forward sensible arguments it's the typical crap of being accused of being thick.

Anyway, leavers will have the last laugh even if the remainer biased HoC overturns the democratic vote. IMO, the Euro area economies are going to keep struggling and these tensions will lead to major problems. Target 2 isn't going away and the Euro area is in no fit state to survive the next downturn (which could occur this year).

The mirage of economic growth in the Euro area was funded off the back of QE and -ve interest rates. As soon as QE was halted, look what happened to the Euro economies. Italian debt/GDP ratio is 132% at the end of the 'growth' period since the financial crisis. Unsustainable going into a downturn as they need to run a fiscal surplus to try to boost the economy. They are too big to bail out, and are getting more Eurosceptic.

Remainers may rob the people of their choice - but the EU won't want more Euorsceptic MEPs being returned from this country along with the increases which they are already expecting when they hold the next elections.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sorry but that's complete and utter nonsense.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Anyway, leavers will have the last laugh even if the remainer biased HoC overturns the democratic vote.
IMO, the Euro area economies are going to keep struggling and these tensions will lead to major problems. Target 2 isn't going away and the Euro area is in no fit state to survive the next downturn (which could occur this year).

This and that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Given your previous posts, and this one, you’re certainly a weird one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This and that.

I find the timing of [MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION] posts interesting. He spews his bile late on Friday nights and post match on Saturday’s. He really does need to get laid

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here