Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So if we never joined in 1974 ? would Britain now be on its knees without Big Brother EU ,and we could not find some way of buying cars from Germany .we were an economic wasteland ?

I've never actually considered opting out of 'the future' as a national policy. But I do look good in fur and I like rare meat so who knows :wink:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
And this from a 14 Yr old girl..... Isn't it the definition of madness to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result???

People of all ages around the world laughing. Makes you proud.

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
The thing is, I truly don't *feel* controlled, nor fearful of immigration, not worried about being conscripted into a Euro Army, nor about bent bananas, litres instead of pints, etc..etc. and I don't think many people really were, until given the option to vote in this ridiculous charade of a referendum.
I like freedom of movement. I enjoy inclusiveness. I think we prosper as a culture, from within, rather than without.
Can't speak for you, obviously, but I honestly see leaving as a retrograde step, for myriad reasons.

Well this the big problem the country is split in half over BREXIT ,apart from 2/3rds majority of remain MP`s in parliament trying to make BREXIT ,in to still nearly being in the EU ,don`t know what you mean by charade of a referendum thought it was done like normal polling .

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Originally Posted by LadySeagull

Despite the fact the eldest are scientists/student medics whose livelihoods and research rely on collaboration et al from European countries, 3 out of the 4 of them would vote leave, now they've seen how shackled we are.

I must say, I find that very hard to believe, but have to take your word for it.

I don't post lies.

Get used to the fact that (despite popular crap spouted) plenty of intelligent people voted - and will vote if needed again - to leave the EU.

I also know of a law graduate and an economics graduate who voted leave and will do again...

Some replies here pointed me to Polls! Polls?! Haha! Look at the mixed message polls before the Country voted leave. Look at Polls before several GEs...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In 2016 all 3 of my adult kids at the time, voted to remain. Now my 4th child has turned 18.

Despite the fact the eldest are scientists/student medics whose livelihoods and research rely on collaboration et al from European countries, 3 out of the 4 of them would vote leave, now they've seen how shackled we are. The youngest one says he in on the fence.
Had a quick trip to Belgium a couple of weeks ago to pick up a few crates of their nice beers. Seamless trip there and back, minimum fuss getting through Customs at Dover and Dunkirk, went via Poperinge and saw an old abandoned border post on the road that marked the French/ Belgian border.
At the beer warehouse we had some great banter with a Belgian chap who had been to Brighton several times on a 2CV rally with pals. He jokingly said " What are you doing stealing OUR beer?

No problems coming back either, never felt " shackled " at any point, we just felt part of something bigger.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep. Likewise. Was watching the news last night and it all got cyclical and boring so we watched Das Boot instead.

I watched the German 2004 movie The Downfall last week, for the very first time. I knew some of the story anyway from a lifelong interest in history, and it was great watch through the eyes of one of Hitler’s secretaries.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unfortunately we have a minority government that has to rely on the DUP for their majority which is just enough to keep them in power. We could have had some of the best political minds and orators leading the opposition but they would have been equally impotent as Corbyn had been since the last General Election.

Anything suggested by Corbyn would be shot down by the Tories as they always close ranks when it matters, even Ian Blackford of the SNP makes some very valid points and suggestions at PMQ'S but is subjected to derision and ridicule by the Tories.

Sadly, the British public are always conned in to believing that Labour are the political lepers and unfit to govern compared to the prudent and caring Tories.

Ps, it's just been announced that 2.9 MILLION children from working families are now in poverty according to official statistics. And of course, we are living in the 5th biggest economy in the world.

Why can’t Corbyn go all out Remain? With the SNP, LibDems, remain Tories, etc, Remainers would get their wish of staying in the EU as was.

Why won’t he do that? As much as he’s thought of as conviction politcian, on Brexit he comes as furtively duplicitous, trying to trick Starmer and young folk that he’s a Remainer at heart.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't post lies.

Get used to the fact that (despite popular crap spouted) plenty of intelligent people voted - and will vote if needed again - to leave the EU.

I also know of a law graduate and an economics graduate who voted leave and will do again...

Some replies here pointed me to Polls! Polls?! Haha! Look at the mixed message polls before the Country voted leave. Look at Polls before several GEs...

So polls aren't to be trusted, but you are?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Had a quick trip to Belgium a couple of weeks ago to pick up a few crates of their nice beers. Seamless trip there and back, minimum fuss getting through Customs at Dover and Dunkirk, went via Poperinge and saw an old abandoned border post on the road that marked the French/ Belgian border.
At the beer warehouse we had some great banter with a Belgian chap who had been to Brighton several times on a 2CV rally with pals. He jokingly said " What are you doing stealing OUR beer?

No problems coming back either, never felt " shackled " at any point, we just felt part of something bigger.

Do you not think that you getting beer is rather a simplistic way of judging such matters?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Originally Posted by LadySeagull

I don't post lies.

So polls aren't to be trusted, but you are?

You actually believe Polls despite history showing they are so often wrong they are pointless in many cases?

IIRC, a major exit Poll in 2016 showed remain had won...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why can’t Corbyn go all Remain? With the SNP, LibDems, remain Tories, etc, Remainers would get their wish of staying in the EU as was.

Why won’t he do that? As much as he’s thought of as conviction politcian, on Brexit he comes as furtively duplicitous, trying to trick Starmer and young folk that he’s a Remainer at heart.

Because he's (to quote Withnail) a terrible old ****. He can do rabble-rousing on a platform. He can do crafty committee outmanouvring. What he can't do is take a wise moral considered position on anything, develop a strategy to pursue it, and build a team to deliver it. He's a useless prat.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You actually believe Polls despite history showing they are so often wrong they are pointless in many cases?

In recent GE’s and referenda they are getting things wrong, pollsters have openly admitted this. They best suited binary scenarios of a swing between Labour Tory, looking particularly at marginal seats. Even before Brexit, politics in the Britain had become far more complicated than that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

They are nearly always right, which is why pollsters make so much money evaluating the opinion of markets, and voters. Very similar to short term weather forcasters. However, as Harold Wilson said (the other *******, not me), a week is a long time in politics.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In 2016 all 3 of my adult kids at the time, voted to remain. Now my 4th child has turned 18.

Despite the fact the eldest are scientists/student medics whose livelihoods and research rely on collaboration et al from European countries, 3 out of the 4 of them would vote leave, now they've seen how shackled we are. The youngest one says he in on the fence.

They’re probably just saying that to shut their mother up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Because he's (to quote Withnail) a terrible old ****. He can do rabble-rousing on a platform. He can do crafty committee outmanouvring. What he can't do is take a wise moral considered position on anything, develop a strategy to pursue it, and build a team to deliver it. He's a useless prat.

I hope NSC’s Corbynista’s debate this with you, it would make an interesting debate. For a start, you cannot be accused as a Daily Mail reading fascist.

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
I've never actually considered opting out of 'the future' as a national policy. But I do look good in fur and I like rare meat so who knows :wink:

Still the same point are we saying we cannot survive out of the EU ? . Is the EU good for Europe ? what about that thing known as the PIGS ,Portugal Italy ,etc that has gone quiet thank goodness. Any way with UK split in the middle over BREXIT 2/3rd Remain MP`s wanting an almost still in the EU or not at all its not looking good for BREXIT, Its been a big betrayal ,put them in the Tower !

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Yes, this 'shackled' bit troubles me, too. Might it be that for some ridiculous reason, we cannot just easily 'walk away' from decades of (mostly ) co-dependence? Surely, as the Leave campaign insisted, it would be the easiest thing in the world?
How dare they make things difficult - not that they have.....we have.
As an aside, did anyone see that idiot Tim 'Mr. Wetherspoons' Martin on 'The Briefing', during the morning news? All I could see was Percy, from 'Blackadder'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And this from a 14 Yr old girl..... Isn't it the definition of madness to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result???

People of all ages around the world laughing. Makes you proud.

Funnily enough I had to use that Einstein quote to a work colleage recently. She 'nevertheless' is hell bent on doing the same thing a third time, expecting a different outcome. Maybe there is something I just don't understand. I have a feeling it may be stupidity.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hope NSC’s Corbynista’s debate this with you, it would make an interesting debate. For a start, you cannot be accused as a Daily Mail reading fascist.

Anything is possible. I think one twunt who I have on ignore called me a red tory once. :ffsparr:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Still the same point are we saying we cannot survive out of the EU ? . Is the EU good for Europe ? what about that thing known as the PIGS ,Portugal Italy ,etc that has gone quiet thank goodness. Any way with UK split in the middle over BREXIT 2/3rd Remain MP`s wanting an almost still in the EU or not at all its not looking good for BREXIT, Its been a big betrayal ,put them in the Tower !

And, again, in English ? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here