Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
[tweet]1110526622803939328[/tweet]

MPs could simply put constituents first by voting to revoke article 50 instead, save everyone the trouble and risks of something going wrong.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
MPs could simply put constituents first by voting to revoke article 50 instead, save everyone the trouble and risks of something going wrong.

It may well come to that, yes. Doesn't mean Brexit being cancelled, necessarily. But stopping this ridiculous clock we've set on ourselves.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
[tweet]1110533376740655104[/tweet]

i wonder what magical can be conjured by extension? why is everyone hell bent on anything but May-EU deal. there is two parties to this agreement, and one party isnt going anywhere.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It may well come to that, yes. Doesn't mean Brexit being cancelled, necessarily. But stopping this ridiculous clock we've set on ourselves.

objection, the clock was determined by article 50 and the EU. interesting if we revoke, would the EU take the position that they can no longer negotiate a withdrawal as we are no longer leaving?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i wonder what magical can be conjured by extension? why is everyone hell bent on anything but May-EU deal. there is two parties to this agreement, and one party isnt going anywhere.
You've asked this question at least once before on this thread and got a perfectly sensible answer. If you're not going to accept that obvious answer, do your own research.

In short (again) it is because it is shit. It locks us into the EU indefinitely, half the benefits of EU membership just disappear, and it will cost £39 BILLION.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
objection, the clock was determined by article 50 and the EU. interesting if we revoke, would the EU take the position that they can no longer negotiate a withdrawal as we are no longer leaving?

Article 50 is entirely a UK thing, nowt to do with EU. Daft to press on with it if it's leading towards a situation that barely anyone wants.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, it was determined by US (I use the word loosely) invoking Art.50, and setting it running BEFORE establishing the first semblance of a clue of what we actually wanted.
Not that loosely Article 50 was voted through the HoC 498 to 114.

47 Labour MP's defied Corbyn, as well as dear old Ken Clarke.
It turns out, for whatever reason, neither of my local MP's in Best Sussex actually voted.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38835101

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
What was it Meg has been saying, to much derision, for over 2 years now ?

But the only thing that is certain is that we are not leaving on 29th March 2019 with a WTO 'no deal', and anyone who still thinks we are must be a little 'challenged' :lolol:

MYSTIC-MEG_2882318b.jpg

Eh? Crash out with a No Deal Brexit?
Did you not get the memo from Watford Zero?
Even though the UK and EU are preparing for No Deal Brexit, and the EU further legislated for it last week and the PM only this week further stated that “An extension cannot take no deal off the table”
You must surely be aware a magic ball speaks to Watford zero and has told him a No Deal Brexit is impossible.

So let me get this right. The following people have said no deal is an absolute possibility ( and the list isn't exhustive ) :

Junker
May
Tusk
Barnier
Corbyn
Cable
Bank of England Governor
Bank of England Deputy Governor
The Irish PM
The Deputy Irish PM
The Irish Finance Minister
Hammond
Starmer
Fox
James Dyson
Numerous political commentators across the whole spectrum of the press
Macron
Merkel
The Dutch PM
The CEO of Aviva
Gove
The ERG
The First Minister of Scotland
The CBI
The IOD
A multitude of UK MPs
The head of the SMMT
The head of HMRC
Barclay
Johnson
Davies

Yet you, some retired small business person in Wales with some fake crystal ball knows better than all these people ( and others ) and dismisses it with "Politicians don't always tell the truth" ? Remarkable, utterly remarkable. :facepalm:

Do tell - what gives you this great in sight and knowledge that all this people closer to the process don't have ?

So, all of these people know so much less than someone who used to be a supplier to ma government department.

OK. Got it.

You are a prime example of the problem with this thread. Your failure to countenance that other, sharper minds than yours, say that this is being over played for political aims. But no, you know best. I'm surprised they haven't called you up to help them.

You are going to look so foolish when we leave and things get sorted with reasonable ease (post any short-term disruption).

Only 3 days to wait with bated breath till we find out who was correct :wink:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1109956610191966208[/tweet]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[tweet]1110553207854583809[/tweet]

Has to be this way really, as ordered voting could influence outcomes - this is purest way it can be done.

Have absolutely no idea how results will come out, anyone want to make a prediction? If pushed I would expect to see May's Deal + Commons Market being fairly popular.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
*No deal* and *Peoples vote* will win out, with no signs of any compromise.

Fantastic solutions like EFTA membership will be crushed by the extremes on both sides.

They have this one chance, and will just end up setting up May's deal v *no deal* on the last day.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here