Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Your total lack of any real knowledge on the war is no surprise to me.'Ill informed clump' is a new one on me.Is it an English version of thicket?

Sometimes people with no shame can be admirable. Not this time I’m afraid, 2p.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I fear its the UK that is going down the pan, going to try to get to Vanuxeem in Ploegsteert one more time as I have the deposits on four crates full of empties that equates to about 40 Euro's..... my masterplan is to bring my own crates for the last run and buy the beers loose, thus only l lose the 10c a bottle. Going to be a difficult choice, going to have to get Rocheforte's, Tripel Karmeliet and Kasteel Donkers and will have some hard choices after that.

If you are fixated on belgian beer, then fine. But if you plumb in Calais wine and Beer then you will have the website of a booze-only supermarket about a mile from the ferry port -the first exit in fact. If you elect to spend a certain amount, they pay your next day-return ferry. Might help you?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I really feel you have no grasp on reality or history.I asked which countries were helping us against the Germans and Italians.Where were the Greek goverNment,the Greek army,the Greek air force,the Greek navy?Who liberated the Greek people from German domination?Foreign forces freed them,with some Greeks assisting,like for example Prince Phillip.

Note the line about them being one of the strongest resistance forces in World War 2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Resistance

The Greek forces did a bloody good job before being overrun, decimating German paratroopers and buying the Russians valuable time.
I fact the Greek army did so much damage and caused so many losses that German High Command abandoned large scale airborne operations for the rest of the war.

Useless lot these Greeks eh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Greece_during_World_War_II

You are an absolute tool.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why do you think we entered the war you utter dingbat?Because the Germans had invaded Poland,and their mates the commies had invaded from the other side.To say the French forces were far more powerful than the Germans is no exaggeration-just read any competent historical military comparison.

Thanks for the suggestion, although I did read quite a few while studying for an MA in Twentieth Century history, which included producing a dissertation on the policy of Appeasement and why it was pursued.

As you'd know if you'd read the post I didn't deny that the French were more powerful on the western front, however the Germans were superior tactically and it was through a mixture of incompetence, complacency and naivety across the Allied forces in 1940 which led to the collapse of France.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But the EU does have a president, a foreign minister and a central bank ....... all elements of government. It's aim is to be a government.

If only the Tory’s had the same aim.

Yes, I took your off ignore. Despite our differences I think you are a good poster, FWIW.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Yes, I took your off ignore. Despite our differences I think you are a good poster, FWIW.

Can't disagree with any part of your post :wink:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Note the line about them being one of the strongest resistance forces in World War 2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Resistance

The Greek forces did a bloody good job before being overrun, decimating German paratroopers and buying the Russians valuable time.
I fact the Greek army did so much damage and caused so many losses that German High Command abandoned large scale airborne operations for the rest of the war.

Useless lot these Greeks eh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Greece_during_World_War_II

You are an absolute tool.

Whilst you are quite right in that the Greek resistance movement gave the Nazis a very hard time, and suffered grievously as a result, I don't think the losses the German parachute Corps suffered was due to the greek army. What you have provided as a link does not confirm that the Greeks were responsible for the German losses. I thought that it was the british and new Zealanders who inflicted the casualties, and were it not for the much-criticised leadership of Freyberg, the NZ commander, the Allies would never have needed to abandon Crete to its fate.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Whilst you are quite right in that the Greek resistance movement gave the Nazis a very hard time, and suffered grievously as a result, I don't think the losses the German parachute Corps suffered was due to the greek army. What you have provided as a link does not confirm that the Greeks were responsible for the German losses. I thought that it was the british and new Zealanders who inflicted the casualties, and were it not for the much-criticised leadership of Freyberg, the NZ commander, the Allies would never have needed to abandon Crete to its fate.

Ah right, thank you. Every day is a school day!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm being realistic, and you are being naive.

Coming from someone who thinks there'll just be some teething problems that aren't insurmountable if no deal was to happen and we'll be alright in about 18 months.

:lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I fear its the UK that is going down the pan, going to try to get to Vanuxeem in Ploegsteert one more time as I have the deposits on four crates full of empties that equates to about 40 Euro's..... my masterplan is to bring my own crates for the last run and buy the beers loose, thus only l lose the 10c a bottle. Going to be a difficult choice, going to have to get Rocheforte's, Tripel Karmeliet and Kasteel Donkers and will have some hard choices after that.

If I ever read a first world paen about the horrors of Brexit, this is it :bowdown::lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wonder how the 56% who voted leave in Flintshire feel today with the Airbus statements. Oh and the 100,000 people who work for connected suppliers around the UK ?
It isn’t up for debate how the major companies were going to view things - they were pretty vehement in their warnings that there would be at least be massive uncertainty and all that could entail before the real truths hit home.

Business is business as they say, there is no way that any business that is closely connected or has a high volume of trade with the EU is going to risk it and hope that Botswana or Chile suddenly have an appetite for their products instead. We knew a while back that many would vote with their feet and run. Its going to be crap for the man in the street as we will always suffer more proportionally than the likes of David Davis, who, we found out today, trousers £60k for 20 HOURS of work for JCB.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You're getting soft. :rolleyes:

Still, I'm reading this thread largely for comedy purposes these days, so having a cheeky peek at some of the posts I'd ordinarily have on ignore is tempting.....

Fortunately I have a long list of other temptation that includes 'The Voice', tonights Spuds Chelski game, and a proper bacon sandwich to resist before I cave in :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If I ever read a first world paen about the horrors of Brexit, this is it :bowdown::lolol:
Have a trip down to your local Waitrose HWT, they stock Tripel Karmeliet for £2.99 a 330ml bottle, in Belgium you can pick it up for 1.15 Euros, just over £1, it's a lovely beer but sadly I will never be able to afford £2.99 let alone what the price will increase to when the Pound loses value when we go. It's the last hurrah and then it's back to drinking piss.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Business is business as they say, there is no way that any business that is closely connected or has a high volume of trade with the EU is going to risk it and hope that Botswana or Chile suddenly have an appetite for their products instead. We knew a while back that many would vote with their feet and run. Its going to be crap for the man in the street as we will always suffer more proportionally than the likes of David Davis, who, we found out today, trousers £60k for 20 HOURS of work for JCB.

Is he one of their top digger drivers though ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Jaguar Land Rover says there will be an additional week-long stand-down of production in April due to the potential disruption caused by Brexit and will affect all three car plants and its engine plant

Just all good news now isnt it?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You're getting soft. :rolleyes:

Still, I'm reading this thread largely for comedy purposes these days, so having a cheeky peek at some of the posts I'd ordinarily have on ignore is tempting.....

Fortunately I have a long list of other temptation that includes 'The Voice', tonights Spuds Chelski game, and a proper bacon sandwich to resist before I cave in :lolol:

Stay strong HWT, you’re our only hope.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But the EU does have a president, a foreign minister and a central bank ....... all elements of government. It's aim is to be a government.

I suppose it depends on your point of view. I've always seen it's aim as a unifying approach that allows separate countries to come together with shared purpose and ideology to enable trade, regulations, markets and welfare across borders for a common goal of prosperity and development. The reason the EU has grown behind an original form, is surely down to the success of those goals?

Our biggest issue is that other than the Irish border, we have never experienced the natural regional economies that exist across borders in Europe. There are French and Spanish that see themselves as Catalans rather than to each nation to which they belong. Having seemless trade, borders, shared regulations is just a natural benefit that we simply don't see because we have never had that. Our benefit is more abstract, because of the physical geography. No matter how we dress it, we don't like them over there telling us what to do.

I don't disagree with some of what [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION] says about oversight, accountability, sovereignty, Tony Benn said the same thing for years. However, I always thought that as a 'club' the membership upsides outweighed the downsides.

Maybe it's aim is now to be a government, super state, a sovereign power in it's own right. I do find that hyperbole and overplaying the EUs hand somewhat.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you are fixated on belgian beer, then fine. But if you plumb in Calais wine and Beer then you will have the website of a booze-only supermarket about a mile from the ferry port -the first exit in fact. If you elect to spend a certain amount, they pay your next day-return ferry. Might help you?

Thanks HG, but you have to go to Belgium for the decent stuff, 25cl dumpies of St.Omer don't do it for me. The French don't do Belgian beer surprisingly, apart from single bottles of the odd one or two, they don't/won't do the crates or the range. The ferry price is practically immaterial as often its only £20 each way Dover to Dunkirk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here