Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Whilst we are still members of the EU. Would he not be better off if he could add these new markets, rather than need them to replace losses from Brexit?

They have just covered all eventualities. If May's deal is accepted it's a sort of win win for them. Small firm though only have 50 odd employees. The manufacturing side went east to Thailand around 10yrs ago after the crash

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Looking after themselves you mean and the holding them ransom to accept the migrants to save further embarrassment to Merkel. Great deal

The refugees would be arriving from Turkey in any case and nothing to do with anyone else in the EU. Greece just happens to be a neighbouring country. I know people who are working in the camps there.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I manage an entrepreneur support centre in a public sector organisation. This is an EU funded knowledge and skills sharing project for entrepreneurs which enables us to offer a wider range of opportunities to our users and to bring in qualified staff and additional money. The 5 jobs are directly funded by it. The problem we have is the uncertainty of planning for scenarios that are now less than 3 months away and that will have major impacts on the next few years. Your point about looking outside the EU is well made and we have been been doing this for many years with some success but the reality is that the proximity of European partners and the framework for co-operation that projects like this provides has meant that these have been the most successful.

Pity the government couldn't make up the shortfall in this case. Hopefully all works out Ok.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Whilst we are still members of the EU. Would he not be better off if he could add these new markets, rather than need them to replace losses from Brexit?

Perhaps the EU will still buy some things from us,out of common charity?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Are all your sales EU based then. Couldn't you have branched out into other markets not affected by Brexit. My Brother in Law now runs a company in Cambridge making electronic connectors with a turnover or 5-6m and they have gone to America and the far east for new markets and covered what they could lose with brexit

Well I would guess your brother in law is hoping to God TM gets her deal through then, because 'no deal' would probably F*** him over not being able to use the EU WTO rates and quotas for the USA and far east ???

I do wonder what he thinks of you backing 'no deal'

*edit* trying to make it very simple for you, America are one of the many countries who have turned down Britain's WTO submissions and won't allow us to use the EU ones

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
Well I would guess your brother in law is hoping to God TM gets her deal through then, because 'no deal' would probably F*** him over not being able to use the EU WTO rates and quotas for the USA and far east ???

I do wonder what he thinks of you backing 'no deal'

*edit* trying to make it very simple for you, America are one of the many countries who have turned down Britain's WTO submissions and won't allow us to use the EU ones

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/border-force
spoken to them yet ?
regards
DR

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Another question, as I like playing Devil's advocate. Could this all be another Millennium Bug scenario, you know when everyone's computers would stop working, traffic lights would fail and planes would fall from the sky!!!

Did any of that happen. No, but some people got very rich from the scare scenarios.

It's the complete opposite of the so-called Millennium Bug (which wasn't a bug at all). That was an issue that was know about for years and organisations started planning for it long, long before it became an issue. Then, organisations committed thousand of person-hours and lots of money to sorting out the problem - several friends of mine did plenty of overtime,

Planning for Brexit seems to have only happened in the last year and most organisations are still very much in the dark about what's going to happen. Manufacturers who import from Europe have no idea if they'll be paying tariffs, what sort of tariffs they might be, whether they're going to held up in customs, whether their key European employees are going home etc. And this is just months before Brexit comes into action,

By autumn 1999, most companies had already completed their Year 2000 plans and were testing scenarios. So, the two situations couldn't be more different.

Jan 30, 2008
nobody forced them to offer retirement on good pensions at 55, or join the euro. They were in a right royal state, before, so the eu enforced strict rules to get them back on track, just like britain had to do under the imf in the 70s, when we had rampant inflation.
then we joined the common agricultural policy, BYE BYE EU
regards
DR

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Every single item that goes through Dover is covered by regulations relating to the Single Market & Customs Union. Border Force can check most lorries within seconds.
If there is No Deal, every single item becomes subject to customs and tariffs, none of which have been worked out yet. Each cargo, on each lorry, could take an hour just to examine their paperwork, and thousands of lorries pass through Dover every day.
Remember the queues when the ferries strike? That could become normal.
Now consider that quite a lot of goods are perishable.

This is only in a case of No Deal, but we are told, MPs won't let a No Deal happen, or will we? This government is saying one thing yet doing another.

This is nonsense, the EU imports huge amounts of goods etc from outside the EU, do you really think every single container and the goods inside it are subject to customs inspection now?

As for delays, if the EU wants to play it difficult then it will be even worse for the Irish. Which is why they wont impose the sort of restrictions you have outlined above.

Nice try though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here