Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Here's a nice, clear breakdown of the referendum vote by party, age and educational attainment as this data sometimes gets lost in the fog of vitriol. my personal favourite is that 5% of UKIP supporters voted to Remain!

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted/

My favourite bit is in the comments section: one person suggests that more people voted Leave for xenophobic reasons than voted Remain for xenophobic reasons and the next person accuses him/her of saying that all 17m Leave voters were xenophobes.

I think that second person may post on here, accusing Remainers of saying that all Leave voters are thick racists.

Actually, that wasn't my favourite bit. It was just sad.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Indeed.

The elder of my two boys is two years into a three year degree course, at a high ranked, red-brick university, in an EU country. It is costing him €3k/yr instead of £9k/yr for the fees. En-suite student accommodation for all three years at less than the cost of room in a shared house in many UK cities. Direct flights home to Southampton airport at about £80 return.

He's having a brilliant time, getting excellent grades, and its all working out really well. I find it amazing that so few of our students have the initiative to take advantage of the opportunity.

And very sad that his younger brother, just about to start second year of A-levels, will almost certainly be denied that opportunity.

This is a great example of how brexit will crush the freedom of choice the younger generation have. It saddens me so much that your son could be effected by this all to satisfy the ego of a group of people. Still, at least he will have a blue passport to look at...

Quite. We don't know what will happen. The younger lad is considering taking a year out after his A-levels, in the hope that a year later, things are a little clearer. In the meantime we are looking into applying for an Irish passport for him (his grandmother is Irish), so that he can apply to study in the EU as an (Irish) EU national. We think that will work, though lack of residency (in Ireland) may scupper it.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Quite. We don't know what will happen. The younger lad is considering taking a year out after his A-levels, in the hope that a year later, things are a little clearer. In the meantime we are looking into applying for an Irish passport for him (his grandmother is Irish), so that he can apply to study in the EU as an (Irish) EU national. We think that will work, though lack of residency (in Ireland) may scupper it.

Was his grandmother born in Ireland? If so, you should be fine though it will cost a few hundred quid and might take a few months to work through the system. You'll need her original birth certificate for one thing, which might or might not take some tracking down. Once you have the paperwork, though, it only takes a couple of months to get the certificate of citizenship, and after that it's a couple more to get the passport. Then he'll get back all the rights and opportunities that his brother enjoyed and are about to be stripped away from the rest of his generation by Jacob F****** Rees Mogg and his grubby band of quitlings.

I've done it already, should have my passport by the end of next month. Feel free to DM me if you'd like any advice etc.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
My favourite bit is in the comments section: one person suggests that more people voted Leave for xenophobic reasons than voted Remain for xenophobic reasons and the next person accuses him/her of saying that all 17m Leave voters were xenophobes.

I think that second person may post on here, accusing Remainers of saying that all Leave voters are thick racists.

Actually, that wasn't my favourite bit. It was just sad.

I'd rather have a quid for every time a Leaver has complained about such accusations than a quid for every time a Remainer has actually made them/!

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was his grandmother born in Ireland? If so, you should be fine though it will cost a few hundred quid and might take a few months to work through the system. You'll need her original birth certificate for one thing, which might or might not take some tracking down. Once you have the paperwork, though, it only takes a couple of months to get the certificate of citizenship, and after that it's a couple more to get the passport. Then he'll get back all the rights and opportunities that his brother enjoyed and are about to be stripped away from the rest of his generation by Jacob F****** Rees Mogg and his grubby band of quitlings.

I've done it already, should have my passport by the end of next month. Feel free to DM me if you'd like any advice etc.

Thanks.

Yes - she was born in Ireland, and still has an Irish passport herself. She has her original birth certificate too. Do we need her passport at any point of the application? We were wary of taking that off her for long as she needs it fairly regularly herself.

Bit annoying that we didn't get onto doing this a bit quicker. By the time the citizenship bit is done he'll be 18 and it's then quite a lot more expensive to apply for the passport!

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Thanks.

Yes - she was born in Ireland, and still has an Irish passport herself. She has her original birth certificate too. Do we need her passport at any point of the application? We were wary of taking that off her for long as she needs it fairly regularly herself.

Bit annoying that we didn't get onto doing this a bit quicker. By the time the citizenship bit is done he'll be 18 and it's then quite a lot more expensive to apply for the passport!

No, no need for her passport, just the original birth certificate. Obviously need his birth cert too & - I think - birth and marriage cert for whichever one of you is the one in between. If you're passing the Irish Embassy near Victoria, you can get an application form and then drop it all off there as well if you don't want to risk putting all the docs in the post any more than necessary.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I hope it all goes smoothly for him. I would love to know why the brexit bunch think this is a good thing! If he was not lucky enough to have an Irish grandparent he would be even more screwed. Is this really progress?

Do you like marmalade,Greg?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
[tweet]1029434097515548673[/tweet]

Is that the Ian Birrell who used to write for Jackanory?Oh,no,he wrote stories for David 'Porky' Cameron,much the same

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Might not need a second passport after all ???

[tweet]1029434089621868544[/tweet]

No that can't be right, 7.5 months is plenty of time to decide which of the two extreme solutions that we are now left with is best, get agreement across government, then negotiate and get agreement with the other parties (either the EU or the 164 WTO members) and then plan and implement it. You only have to look at what we have achieved in the 2.25 years since the vote to see what is possible :)

Besides, we are on our way, Tick Tock, Brexit means Brexit. FFS even the title of the thread has been changed :lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What? How do you think denying young kids opportunities to further education is good? Because that is what brexit does. Why is it a good thing?

How do like your toast?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No that can't be right, 7.5 months is plenty of time to decide which of the two extreme solutions that we are now left with is best, get agreement across government, then negotiate and get agreement with the other parties (either the EU or the 164 WTO members) and then plan and implement it. You only have to look at what we have achieved in the 2.25 years since the vote to see what is possible :)

Besides, we are on our way, Tick Tock, Brexit means Brexit. FFS even the title of the thread has been changed :lolol:

unbelievable jeff.png

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That is not an acceptable answer. If you can't answer soon I will have to assume you are just for brexit to deny children opportunities you had and you want to punish them as you are scared they will achieve more than you.
Want to try again at an answer?

Still awaiting your answer on how to fund free Uni education ..... strange you demand answers from other people but never give them yourself.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
That is not an acceptable answer. If you can't answer soon I will have to assume you are just for brexit to deny children opportunities you had and you want to punish them as you are scared they will achieve more than you.
Want to try again at an answer?

Thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today.But it actually said "Thick Cut".

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And the 20% Greens.I thought they were all mentalists,but 1/5 must be taking the tablets.

Why is that strange? I voted leave but also voted for Caroline Lucas as I think she's a bloody good MP. Not everyone votes slavishly for one party, whatever the politics or whatever the person: some of us put a bit more thought into it.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You, clearly can not answer the question. Typical brexit nonsence. You have no concept of what you are doing to people lives and opertunities and can provide no reason apart from "because I want them to suffer" as a reason for going ahead with it.

How about university education not being a good thing for everyone.That idiot that drove at cyclists in Westminster was a mature university student at Coventry and other uni's.
Are you Nibble/Clamp's third account?I presumed you were a moderator taking the pee again,but I don't think any of them are that stupid.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Why is that strange? I voted leave but also voted for Caroline Lucas as I think she's a bloody good MP. Not everyone votes slavishly for one party, whatever the politics or whatever the person: some of us put a bit more thought into it.

You put a bit more thought into it,and still voted Green?:eek:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here