Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bangin 'tune' MoS and yes the 90's were better .. mainly because I was a lot younger, having a lot of fun and didn't really care about politics. :rave:

Aren’t you having fun now?

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
See numerous EU treaties enshrining ever closer union as a goal. Flag, anthem, currency, constitution, collective centralising decision making increased every time a new treaty is signed. Name one EU treaty that has returned more powers to nation states?

The Treaty of Rome states its central goal is of ever closer union....of people. The statement is intended to draw attention to the similarities of the people of Europe, rather than to the divisions. When treaties work towards union, it is via the consent of member nation states.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Aren’t you having fun now?

We have just taken two huge data centres in Frankfurt and Essen!

Btw. Have you heard about this offer of a European passport for U.K. People who do business in the EU? Is that the same as the EU resident documentation do you know?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Attachments

• B807C229-CCEA-4A6A-BA93-BF2DCF275A35.jpeg
    B807C229-CCEA-4A6A-BA93-BF2DCF275A35.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 118

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The Treaty of Rome states its central goal is of ever closer union....of people. The statement is intended to draw attention to the similarities of the people of Europe, rather than to the divisions. When treaties work towards union, it is via the consent of member nation states.

Yadda yadda/spintastic. Pretending we are not on a one-way rail line to EU Superstate Central which other Remainers on this thread openly acknowledge/ welcome suggests you are either incredibly naive or being disingenuous. Back to the big questions, name one treaty that cedes more powers to the nation states (with no specific democratic mandate) and does the drive to ever closer union contribute to the more extreme political groups success across Europe?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yadda Yadda /spintastic indeed

But the big question is really 'what are we going to do about Ireland/NI'?

Given that we are supposed to give the EU our proposals in 4 weeks, not long to wait now

Tick tock :angel:

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Yadda yadda/spintastic. Pretending we are not on a one-way rail line to EU Superstate Central which other Remainers on this thread openly acknowledge/ welcome suggests you are either incredibly naive or being disingenuous. Back to the big questions, name one treaty that cedes more powers to the nation states (with no specific democratic mandate) and does the drive to ever closer union contribute to the more extreme political groups success across Europe?

Ever closer union allows for different paths of integration for different countries, allowing those that want to deepen integration whilst respecting the wishes of those who do not want to integrate further. The irony is that extreme political groups and populist parties argue your point, that 'ever closer union' is sinister and a threat. You could argue that brexit legitimates the breakdown of union and has emboldened nationalism/extremism. Another reason why voting for leave was a bad idea.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I most certainly did. I'm not sure that I always know what I'm talking about. I follow European politics reasonably closely but my knowledge of Italian goings-on is some way short of my knowledge of French and German politics. And as for eastern Europe ....

Apologies for labelling you a Remoaner and accusing you of knowing of what you speak. The two usually are positively correlated on the thread but obviously there are exceptions. I hereby nominate you for 'Honorary Remoaner' status. This award is open to anyone on the Brexiteer side who qualifies by virtue of saying something sensible. Not sure I'll be rushed off my feet...............:)

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
German Italy now Spain and several other European countries having problems this is another reason the EU will want to punish Britain to scare EU countries not to leave the union as I said before I voted to stay but now we are going we should get on with it and get behind our Country.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
German Italy now Spain and several other European countries having problems this is another reason the EU will want to punish Britain to scare EU countries not to leave the union as I said before I voted to stay but now we are going we should get on with it and get behind our Country.

One more time ................

GETTING ON WITH WHAT :shrug:

2 years on, we should have been out by now, but we still have no idea what it is we want, which is why we keep on extending the membership. The EU are just watching on bemused.

If we can't decide then what exactly is it we should be getting on with :facepalm:

I'll try and make this simple, there are only two options. (The same two options as the day after the vote).

'No deal' - coming out on WTO terms, hard border for Ireland/NI, economic disaster, project fear etc, etc
No Government will do this, no matter what the political pressure, as the economic impact would ensure that party wouldn't get back into power for generations.

'Soft Brexit' - staying in the EU in all but name with a 'customs union', no hard borders, continue paying into the EU, no influence in any EU matters.
This is what the EU have wanted since the day Cameron announced a vote.

There are no other options. The Government, all political parties and the overwhelming majority of politicians recognise this, but also recognise the impact of acknowledging it. Therefor they will continue to try and fudge and delay, to keep a proportion of the British electorate happy.

The only people who are delaying things is that proportion of the electorate.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

That train is a long way from it's destination, though I agree that is the direction of travel. We appear to have decided to get off the train and are approaching the station "Limbo" where we will sit for a while hoping to catch a diferent train, or perhaps fashion one A-Team style from and old boiler, some used oil drums and a lawn mower, to take us to another destination. Once there I believe we will see that the grass is greener on the other side of the tracks and we will rejoin the EU train, which by then may have become an express service, as the passenger that kept pulling the emergency cord has now had his hands tied.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

The EU will not punish Britain, I believe we will be offered the best terms any non EU country has ever had. It will still be punishing on the UK, but that is on us, we can't expect to retain all the benefits of membership whilst ceasing to be members, not unless we pay into the budgets at the same rate a member would, accept all the regulations a member would and effectively be members, but what would be the point in that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here