Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Assuming when/if we do leave the leavers will have no problem about us constantly bitching and complaining and campaigning to join the eu (on much worse terms).

We'll have no problem at all. We have no problem with the flat earth people, the Jehovah's Witnesses (except when they knock on the door in the middle of a TV programme we are watching) or even David Icke. They're sort of funny but a bit sad. So no, remoaners won't bother us much either I shouldn't think. They'll all die out eventually (same as we will) and the world will carry on.............but probably not the EU.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
How are our resident Europhiles feeling about the prospect of an unholy alliance between the far left and right forming a government in Italy? Does 'pooling' sovereignty with them as well as the rather fruity Polish, Austrian and Hungarian governments give anyone pause for thought I wonder. Is the EU with its central goal of ever closer union, a help or hindrance in combatting the rising popularity of more extreme political parties across Europe?

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-europe-populist-right/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All of whom had smaller economies than us and even Ireland, Italy, Spain and Greece so by joining the Euro their currency strengthened. Me personally I'd like our government to decide our economic policies not the ECB and certainly not open our currency to the risk of crashing thanks to certain Eurozone members being allowed to break the rules.

Brexiteers STILL obsessed and pissing their pants over Europe. Will you ever stop?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Brexiteers STILL obsessed and pissing their pants over Europe. Will you ever stop?

Who are they going to blame when we leave and our economy is still struggling,we still have austerity and poverty and a collapsing health service ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How are our resident Europhiles feeling about the prospect of an unholy alliance between the far left and right forming a government in Italy?

I think you've been misinformed. The government in Italy is a coalition between M5S and Lega Nord, neither of which is far-left, although the Lega Nord is certainly well on the right of the political spectrum. M5S is a bit more complicated: it rejects the left-right label as it has policies that could be deemed left and right - the same could be said of the BNP of course, which besides its anti-immigration policies, had a lot of policies associated with the left wing.

M5S is another anti-immigration party and in the European parliament sits in the EFD group, alongside UKIP and other anti-immigration party. That sounds pretty right wing to me.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I think you've been misinformed. The government in Italy is a coalition between M5S and Lega Nord, neither of which is far-left, although the Lega Nord is certainly well on the right of the political spectrum. M5S is a bit more complicated: it rejects the left-right label as it has policies that could be deemed left and right - the same could be said of the BNP of course, which besides its anti-immigration policies, had a lot of policies associated with the left wing.

M5S is another anti-immigration party and in the European parliament sits in the EFD group, alongside UKIP and other anti-immigration party. That sounds pretty right wing to me.

Another bloody Remoaner who appears to know what he's talking about! Will you stop it and leave this thread to folk who think that St Nigel was a visionary who has guided us to the Promised Land.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Another bloody Remoaner who appears to know what he's talking about! Will you stop it and leave this thread to folk who think that St Nigel was a visionary who has lead us to the Promised Land.

No need for the sarcasm but yes [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] is correct. It is comparable (a little) in that it attracts voters from each side of the political spectrum. But rather like the Palace accounts thread, a simple question from [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION], is answered in a deflective way.

I'll ask it again. How do remainers feel about the political developments in Italy and do they think that apart from some economic uncertainty, there will be a possibility of loosening up the reins , in regard to Austerity, for Italy, and a further possibility of Italy leaving the Euro?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
How do remainers feel about the political developments in Italy and do they think that apart from some economic uncertainty, there will be a possibility of loosening up the reins , in regard to Austerity, for Italy, and a further possibility of Italy leaving the Euro?

I'm happy to answer that - the internal political developments in Italy don't particularly bother me in the slightest either way - it's just another day in the chapter of basket case Italian politics. There may be a loosening up on the reins as you say and some arguments, but the excitement of them actually leaving the Eurozone and The EU is a pipe dream of Daily Express headline writers and Nigel Farage's Twitter account for now. In my opinion of course. I see Italian 10yr Government Bond yields have fallen this morning too on the news on the Government forming as well though, so I suspect others share my view.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm happy to answer that - the internal political developments in Italy don't particularly bother me in the slightest either way - it's just another day in the chapter of basket case Italian politics. There may be a loosening up on the reins as you say and some arguments, but the excitement of them actually leaving the Eurozone and The EU is a pipe dream of Daily Express headline writers and Nigel Farage's Twitter account for now. In my opinion of course. I see Italian 10yr Government Bond yields have fallen this morning too on the news on the Government forming as well though, so I suspect others share my view.

Thanks, you may be right. It will, as always in Italian politics, be an interesting few months.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thanks, you may be right. It will, as always in Italian politics, be an interesting few months.

Sarcasm aside (there's plenty worse on this thread), I'm leaning a bit more towards you on this issue. The instability (political and/or economic) of a given member state is of concern. My rather simplistic lens for the EU is that we (members) are bound together (as if tied by a thick rope). This gives security and support but if one of the gang starts lurching towards the edge of a cliff there's always the chance....................*

* a) that the rest will stop him or
b) that we'll go over the edge with him

As a Remainer I subscribe to the a) but there's always that risk of b).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sarcasm aside (there's plenty worse on this thread), I'm leaning a bit more towards you on this issue. The instability (political and/or economic) of a given member state is of concern. My rather simplistic lens for the EU is that we (members) are bound together (as if tied by a thick rope). This gives security and support but if one of the gang starts lurching towards the edge of a cliff there's always the chance....................*

* a) that the rest will stop him or
b) that we'll go over the edge with him

As a Remainer I subscribe to the a) but there's always that risk of b).

That's a pragmatic attitude. However, it's almost fatalistic which concerns me. Over the course of my adult life, I have swung from being somewhere between fiercely against being a member of the EU and a somewhat more resigned position where I have recognised some of the collective benefits more readily. The inability to take unilateral action within the EU has disturbed me although with trade for instance, countries such as Luxembourg and Ireland neatly side-stepped collective agreements by making illegal tax incentives to large companies such as Apple in return for investment. The push towards a lumbering superstate, in the way you describe 'lurching towards the edge of a cliff' is definitely a big reason that many of us (Leavers) voted to leave the EU.

D

Deleted member 22389

Italians are sick of the EU, and they are sick of immigration. They are sick of seeing their own living standards going down the pan whilst people walk in to their country unchecked and claim benefits.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
That's a pragmatic attitude. However, it's almost fatalistic which concerns me. Over the course of my adult life, I have swung from being somewhere between fiercely against being a member of the EU and a somewhat more resigned position where I have recognised some of the collective benefits more readily. The inability to take unilateral action within the EU has disturbed me although with trade for instance, countries such as Luxembourg and Ireland neatly side-stepped collective agreements by making illegal tax incentives to large companies such as Apple in return for investment. The push towards a lumbering superstate, in the way you describe 'lurching towards the edge of a cliff' is definitely a big reason that many of us (Leavers) voted to leave the EU.

OK - acknowledged. Perhaps the (my) analogy is a bit simplistic and laboured. So let's relocate it a bit. In the post financial crisis meltdown (now that's real instability) did membership of the EU cushion us from, or further expose us to, the external shocks? Again I'd got fo the former, but possibly the experience of Greece was 'problematic'. On balance (as I'm trading in generalisation) I'd conclude 'net benefit' - i.e. the rope worked!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Italians are sick of the EU, and they are sick of immigration. They are sick of seeing their own living standards going down the pan whilst people walk in to their country unchecked and claim benefits.

Fair enough, they know what to do then. When are they leaving The EU, anytime soon?

D

Deleted member 22389

Fair enough, they know what to do then. When are they leaving The EU, anytime soon?

They do, they want to deport people, but once again a group of people complain about human rights. Italy is screwed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here