Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks for posting this: it is (as attributed you intend) thought-provoking. What would be really interesting would be to know how much of this non-EU trade is attribute to EU negotiated agreement with 3rd party nations? It would also be (even more) interesting to know what future similar ones will contribute to our export trade and whether we might have to sacrifice these as we leave the EU. I'm not sure anyone has the data.

That’s a slighty suspicious looking graph. It’s implying that over the past 15 years every fluctuation in export to the EU is picked up by an export of exactly the same % value to non-EU? I don’t believe that.

larus

That’s a slighty suspicious looking graph. It’s implying that over the past 15 years every fluctuation in export to the EU is picked up by an export of exactly the same % value to non-EU? I don’t believe that.

Haha, it’s percentage of trade. You are the weakest link - goodbye.

Unless you’re Diane Abbott of course, then you can get 110%.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Errr .... that's what happens with percentages when there only two options ! Doh.

Edit - beaten to it. And HT calls leavers thick :facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Haha, it’s percentage of trade. You are the weakest link - goodbye.

Unless you’re Diane Abbott of course, then you can get 110%.

Errr .... that's what happens with percentages when there only two options ! Doh.

Edit - beaten to it. And HT calls leavers thick :facepalm:

The third option is the trade is lost. If I’m exporting items to the EU, and they decide to stop buying, it could be the case no one else buys them up.

If you have 100 items exported and 50 go to the EU and 50 non-EU that’s 50% export for both. If the EU stop buying 20 and no one else picks them up that is then 30/100 and 50/100.

Last edited:

larus

The third option is the trade is lost. If I’m exporting items to the EU, and they decide to stop buying, it could be the case no one else buys them up.

If you have 100 items exported and 50 go to the EU and 50 non-EU that’s 50% export for both. If the EU stop buying 20 and no one else picks them up that is then 30/100 and 50/100.

Yeah right.

You said “That’s a slighty suspicious looking graph. It’s implying that over the past 15 years every fluctuation in export to the EU is picked up by an export of exactly the same % value to non-EU? I don’t believe that.”, now you suddenly say it’s about volume.

There’s nothing suspicious about the chart; it’s a split of 100%. SImple really. Well, for most people it is :lol:.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah right.

You said “That’s a slighty suspicious looking graph. It’s implying that over the past 15 years every fluctuation in export to the EU is picked up by an export of exactly the same % value to non-EU? I don’t believe that.”, now you suddenly say it’s about volume.

There’s nothing suspicious about the chart; it’s a split of 100%. SImple really. Well, for most people it is :lol:.

Where have I said it’s about volume. My initial reply which you quoted states %, my example is %. I’ll ask again, what if the trade is lost? Where does that go in the graph?
[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION], can you tell me?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Where have I said it’s about volume. My initial reply which you quoted states %, my example is %. I’ll ask again, what if the trade is lost?

you on the beer early? the size of the cake gets smaller, the porportions of all cake slices still have to be 100%

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
So, 2 years on from the vote and 10 further pages on this Thread just today. We MUST be closer to knowing what we voted for now, Shirley ? ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
you on the beer early? the size of the cake gets smaller, the porportions of all cake slices still have to be 100%

No they don’t necessarily. The denominator is exports. If you make a 100 items and someone doesn’t buy them the denominator (for the %) is still 100.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The Referendum were Vote Leave broke electoral law five times.
https://www.electoralcommission.org...ches-of-electoral-law-following-investigation

They've been fined a paltry £70K. A mere slap on the wrist.

Nobody should have broken the law, on either side. It's interesting that the remain campaign is also being investigated. The campaign was unfairly influenced by the government who thought it was okay to use public money to promote their cause. Nevertheless, I hated both sides of the campaign. It was awful and negative. Appaling in fact and is one of the reasons the aftermath has been so poisonous.

larus

Where have I said it’s about volume. My initial reply which you quoted states %, my example is %. I’ll ask again, what if the trade is lost? Where does that go in the graph?

[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION], can you tell me?

Are you being obtuse, are you drunk or are you really that stupid?

The graph shows the percentage of trade which goes to the EU/World. From that graph is is IMPOSSIBLE to determine volume. The question could equally be as valid as :
If the amount of trade was £50m to EU and £50m to RoW, then it changes to £60m EU and £90m RoW. It’s speculation. The graph is a split of 100% so it must always total 100%. But you though it looked SUSPICIOUS.

WTF is suspicious about it adding up to 100%?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve always though that you were reasonable intelligent. However, I am now in serious doubt.

If something is split in 2, combine the 2 must be equal to 100%. It’s basic maths.

I am obviously not making my point about the constant denominator and lost sales very well.

larus

I am obviously not making my point about the constant denominator and lost sales very well.

Serious question - have you been drinking? That’s all I can put it down to.

The UK has exports (the total amount varies year on year).

These go to 2 categories of destination. 1 - the EU. 2 - RoW.

The total must always equal 100%.

The graph shows the split of the 100%. There is no way you can deduce volumes from that graph. You may want to as it suits your Anti-Brexit position, but you can’t unless you know the export volume in GBP.

And that is a FACT.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No they don’t necessarily. The denominator is exports. If you make a 100 items and someone doesn’t buy them the denominator (for the %) is still 100.

??? the graph wasnt showing items or nominal £ value, it was %. if you make 100 widgets and you dont export them, they arent counted in the exports. nice strong saison is it? :drink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
??? the graph wasnt showing items or nominal £ value, it was %. if you make 100 widgets and you dont export them, they arent counted in the exports. nice strong saison is it? :drink:

My argument is if you make 100 widgets for export and they can’t be sold back home and no one abroad wants them you can’t remove them from the denominator. Why would you?

larus

My argument is if you make 100 widgets for export and they can’t be sold back home and no one abroad wants them you can’t remove them from the denominator. Why would you?

But they DON’T get included in the exports if they haven’t been exported.

Exports is what we EXPORT.

The PERCENTAGE is based on the destination. It must equal 100%.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Nobody should have broken the law, on either side. It's interesting that the remain campaign is also being investigated. The campaign was unfairly influenced by the government who thought it was okay to use public money to promote their cause. Nevertheless, I hated both sides of the campaign. It was awful and negative. Appaling in fact and is one of the reasons the aftermath has been so poisonous.

I agree.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here