Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Another amendment passed in the House of Lords to the Government’s Brexit legislation, limits will be placed on the use of Ministerial ‘Henry VIII’ powers.

The Tories can say goodbye re-writing laws behind closed doors.

A good day for democracy

You're struggling to understand the difference between the House of Lords and the House of Commons aren't you ? Votes in the House of Lords are entirely non-binding so it matters not how they vote in the long run as the House of Commons has supremecy.

D

Deleted member 22389

The Brexit debate is losing steam. Apart from a small percentage of hard remainers, most people just want the EU to stop pissing about and let us leave.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Brexit debate is losing steam. Apart from a small percentage of hard remainers, most people just want the EU to stop pissing about and let us leave.

The EU are not stopping us leaving. In fact, we can probably even get out of our treaty obligations and leave tomorrow if we paid sufficient compensation for breaking the contract.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

You think we are being held captive?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're struggling to understand the difference between the House of Lords and the House of Commons aren't you ? Votes in the House of Lords are entirely non-binding so it matters not how they vote in the long run as the House of Commons has supremecy.

Technically yes. But as custom dictates, due to the daft unwritten constitution, I didn’t think this was the case apart from very specific legislation? Ie the protocol/custom is that legislation should have Lords approval? Otherwise what’s the point of the Lords?

I guess I could Google this but I can’t be arsed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You think we are being held captive?

:lolol:

It’s gone from “they can whistle, cake and eat it” to “please let us go” - that speaks volumes.

D

Deleted member 22389

The EU are not stopping us leaving. In fact, we can probably even get out of our treaty obligations and leave tomorrow if we paid sufficient compensation for breaking the contract.

I think we have paid enough over the years compared to some other countries in the EU.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

We can walk away tomorrow. The only thing that is stopping us is our own incompetence :facepalm:

Since you obviously didn't read my earlier post in response to GT49er suggesting we 'just get on with it'

As I have pointed out initially 2 years ago after the Original vote but still holding true, even though the timescale has now been extended to 5 years.

The Government is incapable of implementing Brexit in the agreed timescales.

Let's assume, to avoid arguments and ignoring all evidence to the contrary, that they manage to negotiate a brilliant deal in phase 2 :smile:

They will still not be able to implement it, there is insufficient time and resources. Just look up how the rollout of Universal Credits, a relatively simple set of changes, is going.

Tick Tock indeed :facepalm:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Technically yes. But as custom dictates, due to the daft unwritten constitution, I didn’t think this was the case apart from very specific legislation? Ie the protocol/custom is that legislation should have Lords approval? Otherwise what’s the point of the Lords?

There is specific legislation on this, the Lords' powers are enshrined in the Parliament Act. What Westdene Seagull says is mainly true - the HoL cannot vote down government legislation but it can delay it by up to a year - and that's a long time when there's a Brexit deadline looming.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What about if Labour God forbid make into power and attempt the same thing. Does your reasoning apply to them as well

Think you are missing the point. Whatever party is in power I would not endorse the use of Henry 8th powers, parliament has a role. Today's its the Tories with Brexit, in a few years it could be Labour with something else not to your liking

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Indeed no deal still means big bill, but Brexiteers have failed to grasp that.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

I guess I could Google this but I can’t be arsed.

The Parliament Act allows the commons to over rule the lords. The only exceptions are :

> Bills prolonging the length of a Parliament beyond five years

> Private Bills

> Bills sent up to the Lords less than a month before the end of a session

> Bills which start in the Lords

So in this case it matters not how the lords votes - it can be overuled by the commons.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Actually it's the other way round - if we just left with no deal then we would owe nothing. We're only agreeing to pay the 'divorce bill' on the basis of getting a deal.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The Parliament Act allows the commons to over rule the lords. The only exceptions are :

> Bills prolonging the length of a Parliament beyond five years

> Private Bills

> Bills sent up to the Lords less than a month before the end of a session

> Bills which start in the Lords

So in this case it matters not how the lords votes - it can be overuled by the commons.

And it matters not what is decided in the houses or how the Government negotiates phase II - It cannot be implemented in the timescales :wink:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
And it matters not what is decided in the houses or how the Government negotiates phase II - It cannot be implemented in the timescales :wink:

That may or may not be the case but I was responding to nicko31 wetting his pants believing the lords are preventing Brexit - they are not so his sad little hopes will be dashed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here