Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wow, your delusion astounds me. I honestly can't believe that you post crap like this. The EU has a plan is a single state. That's it. Step-by-step.
Single Currency.
Army.
Centralised Tax and Spend.
Etc.

There is no rolling back, but don't fear, because once the banking systems of nation states start to collapse, the EU will implode.

Grow up

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
In other news the Bank of England's (#luvexperts) pessimistic pre referendum forecast of post Brexit growth plummeting to 0.8% in 2017 has already been revised upwards to 1.4%.

:wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In other news the Bank of England's (#luvexperts) pessimistic pre referendum forecast of post Brexit growth plummeting to 0.8% in 2017 has already been revised upwards to 1.4%.

The markets obviously had factored in the High Court judgment :wink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont really see why anyone thinks its vague, its clear enough that there is no law or statute that gives the government powers to repeal existing legislation. thats what the court argument (as i understand it) boils down to. also dont see how Supreme Court will find any different. courts are there to interpret and apply the laws (they can make case law along the way), in this situation there is nothing to go by so they are duty bound to refer it to parliament to legislate.

comment from IDS sums up the confusion, he says the courts do not have the right to tell the government what to do. wrong, the courts are empowered to tell the government to follow the law of the land, and here the legislation for the referendum was deeply flawed so there is no legal grounds for government to repeal older legislation.

sad day for leaving, good day for our legal system and parliament (wouldn't happen in Europe)

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Labour's main dilemma is Farage-shaped, they, not the Tories, have leaked voters to the UKIP cause. A key Labour strategy is to win them back, you won't do this by opposing Brexit.

UKIP will be pouring over the voting data from the referendum, if you're an MP with a small majority and whose constituency is sat in an area where there was a strong Brexit vote you'll find Farage on your turf very quickly if you don't vote Brexit.

larus

Now who is posting crap ?
1 - in place and now a pre-requisite of joining the EU.
2 - openly being discussed.
3 - growth no stability pact is the first step, but for a single currency to work, this will need to happen eventually (as per the UK). The problems of this not being in place are obvious with the huge structural problems within Greece, Portugal, Italy.

As for the issues with the banking system, read some articles on the Italian Banks etc. Lots of problems, and even with negative interest rates and QE, Italy is still not getting any sensible growth. Levels of NPLs are increasing still. Ticking Time-Bomb.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The West German government specifically outlawed the use of referenda/plebiscites when formed after WW2 following the cynical use of them by the Nazi regime.

The trouble with them is they only provide a snapshot view of the country at one specific time, as do General Elections but these are held at intervals. You can't say a referendum can just change the whole political direction of a country for decades to come, if events following that decision prove that it was based on a faulty understanding of what the country was asked to vote on.

Indeed. This is why, if they are held, there should be an overwhelming (60%+) vote required for a significant change to take place. (or the referendum should be advisory, as it was).

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
So you are saying that it IS the role of parliament to do exactly what constituents want? How would this work? Would we have loads of opinion polls and instruct MPs to just rubber stamp the results?

Blimey. This could see parliament banning Frenchmen, shooting paedophiles and cutting income tax. Are you sure you aren't the one who is misunderstanding the role of parliament?

The role of an MP is to represent the wishes of his constituency, I'm not sure about how that would result in banning the French etc but it has set MPs against the party line (e.g. Goldsmith). It's usually only in unique circumstances that an MP can gauge an attitude to a specific issue, for example closing a hospital. The referendum has given each MP a good idea of what their constituents decided, so you could argue that they will follow this.

larus

Follows the trend of all news since the BREXIT vote. All surveys and stats have been much better than the "Experts" told us.

Hmm, what does that say about these "Experts"?

And we're still meant to believe their forecasts? :lolol:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
At first glance it seems to me that, unless the government wins on appeal, it may allow for more democratic accountability. At the moment we have a referendum vote that asked leave or remain and leave won. Subsequent to that the talk has been as to whether the leave vote gave a mandate for a hard exit: i.e. leave the single market in order to prevent free movement of labour. Despite the fact that the leave campaign continually said that the country wouldn't have to make this choice, but could get both things, the government says the referendum vote gives a mandate for the hard version, but this has not been tested in parliament or through a referendum.

In all honesty I can't see that the numbers for hard exit add up. With 48% voting for remain presumably preferring to retain the single market, it only requires 5.77% of the 52% who voted leave to prefer the 'soft' option and the mandate would be for soft exit. i.e. paying for continued membership of the single market, which would have to come with acceptance of free movement, which would mean that the country has gone through all of this to achieve next to nothing but giving up its voting rights at the EU parliament.

Apparently the bookies have halved the odds for a second referendum and there is talk of an early election. This would require a two thirds majority vote, so would need Labour support. You would think they won't support it, but some of them might see an early election smashing as preferable to another four years of Corbyn leadership followed by an election smashing.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What would you like, a weekly vote and then an annual decision based on that vote, or would that just be a snapshot of just one particular year :) !!!

What would you like, one general election and then that government stays in power forever, even when they're all dead, along with all the people that voted for them?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I could live with that

I believe a number of other Brexiteers could also live with a reformed EU. I really do think there's a golden opportunity here for the UK to put itself in a fantastic position at the heart of a reformed U.K. which will work or the vast majority of Brits.

I have never bought the idea the EU can't be changed. I've never bought the idea the UK can't change it either. Two world wars and the inability to change some EU blokes in suits doesn't add up.

Maybe wishful thinking but I feel optimistic.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The last line of appeal for the government is the European Court of Human Justice... :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
comment from IDS sums up the confusion, he says the courts do not have the right to tell the government what to do. wrong, the courts are empowered to tell the government to follow the law of the land, and here the legislation for the referendum was deeply flawed so there is no legal grounds for government to repeal older legislation.

sad day for leaving, good day for our legal system and parliament (wouldn't happen in Europe)
Totally agree. It's great that our governments have to abide by the rule of law. I'm a brexiter but I'm perfectly happy with this result for two reasons: as a demonstration of the independence of our judiciary and because it means parliament will have the ultimate say over brexit - which is how it should be.

I'm afraid that IDS's remarks merely draw attention to the fact that he struggles to comprehend the simplest concepts. In 50 years of following politics, I can't think of a more inadequate cabinet minister

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really. Is that your best reposte? You seems to take pleasure in running down and trying to ridicule a country where you no longer live.

It looks like you've swallowed the EU diktat fully.

Yes, as **** off seemed impolite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here