Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Tony Blair and the reprobates that support his traitorous diatribe are truly awful. They are actively seeking to use the NHS as a reason to pull out of Brexit. No mention of the detested amount of foreign aid that should be spent on such worthy causes or the disgusting actions of Labour with its open door policy. Reprehensible! as are those remainers on this site also trying to use the same excuse.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Tony Blair and the reprobates that support his traitorous diatribe are truly awful. They are actively seeking to use the NHS as a reason to pull out of Brexit. No mention of the detested amount of foreign aid that should be spent on such worthy causes or the disgusting actions of Labour with its open door policy. Reprehensible! as are those remainers on this site also trying to use the same excuse.

The NHS is important

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

And Boris lying about 350 million for the NHS to make people vote leave was ok then was it.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The NHS is important

Exactly! It is not to be used by slimy seditious remainers as a weapon to usurp brexit. Still I guess, no actually I know, you are one of those reprehensible's dying to join Lord Adonis and Blair in the super king sized bed in which they lie. Detestable and profoundly undemocratic but I know you wont worry about or even have the capability to comprehend that smear either. Bless you really are a weird card.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Whats your beef with foreign aid?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Exactly! It is not to be used by slimy seditious remainers as a weapon to usurp brexit. Still I guess, no actually I know, you are one of those reprehensible's dying to join Lord Adonis and Blair in the super king sized bed in which they lie. Detestable and profoundly undemocratic but I know you wont worry about or even have the capability to comprehend that smear either. Bless you really are a weird card.

Keep your Adonis and Blair in a kingsize bed fantasy to yourself please.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
May says sorry to patients hit by NHS delays. PM’s unprecedented apology comes as new figures reveal scale of crisis.

Theresa May felt compelled to apologise yesterday to the tens of thousands of people whose operations have been postponed amid one of NHS England’s worst winter crises, as new figures laid bare the scale of the challenge faced by hospitals.
The prime minister’s unprecedented apology came as it was revealed that 16,900 people – the highest number this winter – had been left stuck in the backs of ambulances waiting to enter an A&E unit in the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve.

All Tories should be ashamed of themselves.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

Decisions resulting from Brexit are likely to have consequences for the NHS and it is obvious that with less than 18 months to go we should be looking in detail at these and planning for them. The NHS is not the only service/institution in this situation but , given it’s importance, scale and fragility, it is one of the highest priorities. The Leave campaign recognised it’s emotional significant with the red bus claim and how potential issues are addressed can be seen as an overall indication of the competence of those leading the leave process. So it is totally relevant to raise it.

However the response from leavers to anyone raising practical questions about major issues like this is just to resort to throwing around accusations and insults. It is much easier to accuse someone of sedition than to respond to the issues they raise. The more hysterical the accusations and name-calling and we have had ‘freaks’, ‘loons’ etc the more desperate and clueless they sound. It is this cluelessness that presents the greatest risk to the leave process.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Decisions resulting from Brexit are likely to have consequences for the NHS and it is obvious that with less than 18 months to go we should be looking in detail at these and planning for them. The NHS is not the only service/institution in this situation but , given it’s importance, scale and fragility, it is one of the highest priorities. The Leave campaign recognised it’s emotional significant with the red bus claim and how potential issues are addressed can be seen as an overall indication of the competence of those leading the leave process. So it is totally relevant to raise it.

However the response from leavers to anyone raising practical questions about major issues like this is just to resort to throwing around accusations and insults. It is much easier to accuse someone of sedition than to respond to the issues they raise. The more hysterical the accusations and name-calling and we have had ‘freaks’, ‘loons’ etc the more desperate and clueless they sound. It is this cluelessness that presents the greatest risk to the leave process.

Given the EU figures bounded around during the referendum I’d say now is the perfect time for a complete overhaul of the NHS. The NHS clearly cannot be funded on the pittance it currently receives so fully cost it and pay them what they need. And before anyone starts bleating about management and red-tape wastage I know how much we pay per month here, I also know what a brilliant service we get, and it’s clear the service I get cannot be delivered on the peanuts you pay.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Given the EU figures bounded around during the referendum I’d say now is the perfect time for a complete overhaul of the NHS. The NHS clearly cannot be funded on the pittance it currently receives so fully cost it and pay them what they need. And before anyone starts bleating about management and red-tape wastage I know how much we pay per month here, I also know what a brilliant service we get, and it’s clear the service I get cannot be delivered on the peanuts you pay.

German healthcare has a large private insurance based funding doesnt it? not popular here, even as you say it leads to more funding and improved service.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
German healthcare has a large private insurance based funding doesnt it? not popular here, even as you say it leads to more funding and improved service.

Additional payments are only made by workers earning more than €50,000. Below that level, it's the German equivalent of NI (paid by employees and employers, as in the UK). I'm not convinced that such a system would be that unpopular over here, no party has proposed it ... yet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

No. It’s analogous to NI below 50k and above this threshold it becomes cheaper to take out private health insurance. The rate is much much higher than UK NI though....but then you get what you pay for.

“Health insurance is compulsory for the whole population in Germany. Salaried workers and employees below the relatively high income threshold of almost 50,000 Euros per year are automatically enrolled into one of currently around 130 public non-profit "sickness funds" at common rates for all members, and is paid for with joint employer-employee contributions.”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Additional payments are only made by workers earning more than €50,000. Below that level, it's the German equivalent of NI (paid by employees and employers, as in the UK). I'm not convinced that such a system would be that unpopular over here, no party has proposed it ... yet.

Everything else has been flogged off to foreigners so why not get the Germans to run the NHS?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
read the question I was answering .
regards
DR

You were responding to a post that correctly made the point that 'no economy is an island' in an interdependent world.

Your point was that we ARE an island and can thrive. My question stands I'm afraid - what relevance has the UK being an island got to our ability to thrive?

The concept of English exceptionalism is not an economic strategy.

And, of course, the UK is not an island.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Paddy McCoy, an elderly Irish farmer, received a letter from the EU inspectorate stating that they suspected he was not paying his employees the statutory minimum wage and they would send an inspector to interview them.

On the appointed day, the inspector turned up.
"Tell me about your staff," he asked Paddy.
"Well," said Paddy, "there's the farm hand, I pay him €240 a week, and he has a free cottage.
Then there's the housekeeper. She gets €190 a week, along with free board and lodging.
There's also the half-wit. He works a 16 hour day, does 90% of the work, earns about €25 a week along with a bottle of whisky and, as a special treat, occasionally gets to sleep with my wife."

"That's disgraceful" said the inspector, "I need to interview the half-wit."

"That'll be me then," said Paddy.

Jan 30, 2008
You were responding to a post that correctly made the point that 'no economy is an island' in an interdependent world.

Your point was that we ARE an island and can thrive. My question stands I'm afraid - what relevance has the UK being an island got to our ability to thrive?

The concept of English exceptionalism is not an economic strategy.

And, of course, the UK is not an island.
give a dog a bone ,i'm really not that bothered either way :)
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here